Question About CAC Stickering Policy for CAM/DCAM Coins — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Question About CAC Stickering Policy for CAM/DCAM Coins

In my example, say I have a coin that is a PR66. If the coin has CAM surfaces, would that qualify it for a green sticker, regardless of how it looks as a 66? (When I say regardless, I mean it is correctly graded as a 66. It just may not be a coin that CAC would normally sticker if it was a brilliant proof). Essentially, if a coin is undergraded designation wise, would CAC recognize that with a sticker?

The same question goes if the coin is a solid PR65 that would normally get a green sticker. If it had CAM surfaces, does that make it eligible for a gold? (The coin is undergraded designation wise.)

You could sum up this to does CAC care if a coin has CAM or DCAM surfaces when the coin is not designated as such, or do they only look at the numerical grade?

Thanks!

Comments

• Coins need to meet CAC’s standards at the assigned numerical grade (and if applicable, the designation) in order to receive a green sticker. And they need to exceed the assigned numerical grade (and if applicable, meet the designation) in order to be considered for a gold sticker.

The addition of a Cameo or Deep Cameo designation won’t cause a coin to sticker if it wouldn’t do so on its own numerical merits.

Likewise, even if a Proof coin is clearly deserving of a Cameo or Deep Cameo designation, but not so-designated, that, alone, won’t make it eligible for a gold sticker.
  • MarkFeld said:

Coins need to meet CAC’s standards at the assigned numerical grade (and if applicable, the designation) in order to receive a green sticker. And they need to exceed the assigned numerical grade (and if applicable, meet the designation) in order to be considered for a gold sticker.

The addition of a Cameo or Deep Cameo designation won’t cause a coin to sticker if it wouldn’t do so on its own numerical merits.

Likewise, even if a Proof coin is clearly deserving of a Cameo or Deep Cameo designation, but not so-designated, that, alone, won’t make it eligible for a gold sticker.

Sounds good to me!

Steve
  • edited September 2022
    MarkFeld said:

Even if a Proof coin is clearly deserving of a Cameo or Deep Cameo designation, but not so-designated, that, alone, won’t make it eligible for a gold sticker.

Right on!

And it will likely get you a sticky-note to that effect (deserving of a CAM), or maybe even a phone call. Good question FlyingAl
  • MarkFeld said:

Coins need to meet CAC’s standards at the assigned numerical grade (and if applicable, the designation) in order to receive a green sticker. And they need to exceed the assigned numerical grade (and if applicable, meet the designation) in order to be considered for a gold sticker.

Excellent, exactly what I was thinking but I wanted to make sure. Thanks!