Hardcore honesty from a true expert:

https://rcnh.com/NewsItem.aspx?id=56

Comments

• How does one watch this interview?
  • Realone said:

How does one watch this interview?

The link is posted in the OP.
  • I agree w/the "the eye"

Please complete the Survey by freewheeling on any topic(s) of your choice.

One of the best things that ever happened to the coin business is certification. Competition for grading fees led to over-grading and price dilution.

Then CAC came along. Great concept and much needed for the coin industry. All knowledgeable buyers recognized early on that there were coins that were high end for the grade, solid for the grade and low end. For a firm to come out and take the steps necessary to have buyers focus on solid for the grade coins could save our industry.

If a new grading service enters the market that is well received, we could be in for a boom in the coin industry. However, good marketing to gain acceptance in our industry may be tricky, time consuming, and a very expensive endeavor. However, I hope it happens.
  • I haven't had any interaction with Warren or RCNH since Paul Battaglia left.
  • Paul Battaglia was once with New England Rare Coin Galleries?
  • Loved Warren, did not feel the same about Paul.
  • oreville said:

Paul Battaglia was once with New England Rare Coin Galleries?

I don't know about that, but he was with RCNH-Rare Coins Of New Hampshire. You may (or may not) recall Warren sending an email about 5 years ago stating Paul was no longer representing RCNH. The email was posted on CU the same/next day.
  • oreville said:

Loved Warren, did not feel the same about Paul.

That was not the purpose of my posts, but since you commented, I don't have any he is good and he is no good comments about either person. The last piece I purchased was an 1876 TD PCGS MS64, that Warren was going to buy for himself. Paul arranged the sale in Balt. at the Show. Coincidentally, the RCNH booth was next to Legend at the back of the room. A couple of years later, I asked Mark to facilitate a sale of the coin and send to CAC (yes, it received green) and he did so and it poofed into another collector's hands.
  • john said:

I haven't had any interaction with Warren or RCNH since Paul Battaglia left.

Charlie Brown was an ex-PCGS finalizer when he worked there.
  • CACfan said:

How do the TPG's work? Do two graders usually grade a coin and then a finalizer reviews it? 
  • I am just curious what everyone thinks about what is said in the interview about this;   
          I noticed in sections #8 and #10 to beware of certain CAC coins.

Section #8 claims that the current graders are conditioned to varied unc. and proof grades, 18th century coins. Says keep in mind too, cac is weak at circ type. His guess 1/4 of the early circ type that is cac'ed  shouldn't be.

19th century to beware of pvc and putty amongst certain cac coins.

True or false?

• WilliamJ said:

CACfan said:

john said:

How do the TPG's work? Do two graders usually grade a coin and then a finalizer reviews it? 

Ask Mark Feld. I have never been a TPG grader.
  • WilliamJ said:

I am just curious what everyone thinks about what is said in the interview about this;   
          I noticed in sections #8 and #10 to beware of certain CAC coins.

Section #8 claims that the current graders are conditioned to varied unc. and proof grades, 18th century coins. Says keep in mind too, cac is weak at circ type. His guess 1/4 of the early circ type that is cac'ed  shouldn't be.

19th century to beware of pvc and putty amongst certain cac coins.

True or false?

I have no clue about other series. For years I have focused solely on one series. That series is Seated Dollars, I believe 80% of the coins I’ve seen deserve the sticker and 20% don’t. Don’t take this as a knock on CAC. In fact it’s the opposite. In my opinion when it comes to Seated dollars the top grading companies get it right 20% and 80% of the time they are straight grading coins that should not be. CAC has done a great job and I’ve learned a ton from submitting and looking at the coins they approved.
  • I really like seated coinage.
         However, I have not really studied enough CAC coins to really give a proper answer to what is said in the interview.  
          I  am learning from cac through my submissions and loving Every coin minute of it!