Any Buffs with blast headlight or 5/5 luster? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Buffs with blast headlight or 5/5 luster?

With Lincolns and Jeffs I would call most ms67s a 4/5 on luster but some dates, especially the late 30s for example, can be occasionally found with absolute blast luster or a 5/5. I assume it must be the same with Buffs but are they harder to find? Or do I just not look at Buffs enough in person? Or does the nature of the design taking up most of the coin cause the flashiness to not manifest in a way as to be described as blast or headlights? Anyone have a 5/5 and photo that represents the difference with a typical 4/5? I don't think any of coinfact's photos quite describe the difference. I guess if they exist some of those ms68 38-d's would have to be among them.

Comments

• That's pretty darn good!
  • Do proof buff’s count? Apparently, this one was struck from new dies, just polished, as the mint was getting ready to resume Proof production after a long hiatus. Any distractions you see are only on the photos and not on the coin in hand. PR67+ w/CAC:

Steve
  • Sure why not…..another 67+ CAC

• Do proof buff’s count? Apparently, this one was struck from new dies, just polished, as the mint was getting ready to resume Proof production after a long hiatus. Any distractions you see are only on the photos and not on the coin in hand. PR67+ w/CAC: Steve
    Pretty coin but I think the OP is referring to Mint State coins 
  • That’s why I asked if Proofs count. But other 1936 and later Buffalo proofs I see in high grades don’t have the headlight luster like this coin.

Steve
  • Proofs weren't meant to be spent ;) . Very nice coins though. If I had unlimited funds I would certainly collect them too.
  • That’s why I asked if Proofs count. But other 1936 and later Buffalo proofs I see in high grades don’t have the headlight luster like this coin.

Steve

Looks like a brand new hubcap from the 1950s. Might light paper on fire if angled to the sun properly😉
  • I don't own this coin anymore, but it had impressive luster in hand.