The $20,000 roll of 1954-S Franklins - Page 2 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

The $20,000 roll of 1954-S Franklins

2»

Comments

• It looks like if anyone has a coin to sell at GC with any history, they should just describe it here since GC doesn't give you much history details. The OP might be innocent but this opens the door. 
       I  have several coins that would do much better at auction.
  • edited September 2022
    I assume appropriate actions will be taken by CAC if people abuse the forum to advertise their own coins. I don't see how this one thread opens the door for abuse. And as another person has said, the reach of this forum will likely not affect the auction much. You still haven't answered why you would NOT bid on this coin because of this thread. This thread does not change the actual item being auctioned.
  • Why would talking about a coin contaminate an auction? Wouldn't everyone want to discuss a coin to learn about potential issues BEFORE the auction is over? Why would you not bid on a coin because of this thread? Sorry, but that makes no sense to me. And since @Bushmaster is not the seller, he's not advertising anything. And there are no rules that one can't discuss a coin that is still being auctioned. As a matter of fact, people do it all the time with big coins that are coming up like the Bass coins. The only issue I see is that this coin is not a CAC coin so not very relevant for this forum.
    Amen brother. 
  • I assume appropriate actions will be taken by CAC if people abuse the forum to advertise their own coins. I don't see how this one thread opens the door for abuse. And as another person has said, the reach of this forum will likely not affect the auction much. You still haven't answered why you would NOT bid on this coin because of this thread. This thread does not change the actual item being auctioned.
    Nor it’s value at auction because one potential bidder takes his football home. 
  • edited September 2022
     I have my reasons and they should not be on this thread. 

• I remember that roll.
  • So the thread helped you since you have doubts and will now not bid. So the high dungeon was unnecessary.
  • Catbert said:
    So the thread helped you since you have doubts and will now not bid. So the high dungeon was unnecessary.
    You don't make much sense 😒 
  • Why would talking about a coin contaminate an auction? Wouldn't everyone want to discuss a coin to learn about potential issues BEFORE the auction is over? Why would you not bid on a coin because of this thread? Sorry, but that makes no sense to me. And since @Bushmaster is not the seller, he's not advertising anything. And there are no rules that one can't discuss a coin that is still being auctioned. As a matter of fact, people do it all the time with big coins that are coming up like the Bass coins. The only issue I see is that this coin is not a CAC coin so not very relevant for this forum.
    I think perhaps from my own perspective it seems that mentioning an upcoming coin in an auction is okay. But either saying negative or positive things about a particular coin could work against the consignor or buyer by either encouraging or discouraging bidding on a particular coin, it’s just common sense. I personally am careful about my  comments about upcoming coins so not to influence the bidding 
  • If you have information about an upcoming coin that is not public, I don't see why you need to keep it to yourself and not share it publicly. If I'm bidding on a coin, I would want to know as much about it to make an informed decision on the value. If what you say is not true, someone will call you out on it and people can debate about it. IMO, more information and discourse is good for the buyer to know what they are getting into. Only the consignor would want less information and discourse if they are trying to sell a coin that's been messed with and they don't want the bidders to know.
  • If you have information about an upcoming coin that is not public, I don't see why you need to keep it to yourself and not share it publicly. If I'm bidding on a coin, I would want to know as much about it to make an informed decision on the value. If what you say is not true, someone will call you out on it and people can debate about it. IMO, more information and discourse is good for the buyer to know what they are getting into. Only the consignor would want less information and discourse if they are trying to sell a coin that's been messed with and they don't want the bidders to know.
    I would think it’s the responsibility of the buyer to gather as much information as possible about the coin before bidding on it. As long as the auction house doesn’t withhold any relevant facts about the coin that  it may know its buyers due diligence to be careful. I don’t think it’s fair for third parties to come into the picture and disclose anything. If it’s public knowledge the buyer can learn for themselves, they don’t need any interference from others 
  • The only issue I see is that this coin is not a CAC coin so not very relevant for this forum

I think there's quite a few of us here because we're banned from the other forum. I would love to discuss Jeffs or even state quarters actually but yeah, no worries, I'll try to stick more to the coins CAC covers.

I hope posts like this are allowed. More info is always a good thing.
  • Not even close to FBL.
  • Bushmaster, thanks for posting this information, which I found interesting - history is interesting, including history of collecting and auctions. Elite and Catbert also seem to appreciate it.

Clearly doesn't violate Rule 2. Not even close.

If CACTeam want to add a rule that we shouldn't discuss coins that are in an active auction, they will let us know.