Recent PCGS Graded 1921 High Relief Dollar. What do you think PCGS graded This Peace Dollar? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Recent PCGS Graded 1921 High Relief Dollar. What do you think PCGS graded This Peace Dollar?

I recently had this 1921 Peace High Relief graded at PCGS with some other coins.

I believe it was either over or under graded. I am interested in others opinion on what grade they think PCGS gave it? I will post the grade in a few days.

Comments

• I’ll guess XF45.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I find grading from TV's difficult at best, but my thought is PCGS said AU50. But again TV's are terrible to grade from.

• Looks 35/40 to me. But grading from TV's (or pictures in general) can be tricky.

Lance.

• XF40 shot 45

• My first thought was 45. I think that’s still my thought.

• I think that coin off the press was hammered.

I’m saying 45

i like the look of it

martin

• Thanks for all of your grade opinions. When I purchased this Peace dollar raw My opinion was XF45. It still retains nice mint luster and looks just like the photo attached. So I was very surprised to get a grade of VF30 from PCGS. This coin with others is on it's way to Cac right now. I hope they agree with your grade opinions! PS I have owned two VF30 1921 Peace dollars and they looked nothing like this coin.

• My first thought was VF+ and that is harsh given the apparent luster and issue. Still couldn't go above XF40 though.
  • Middle of the road VF
    Too much wear on the upper feathers which aren’t a function of strike. It actually looks like it left the mint as a nearly full struck
    example. 

• To BillWetzler Here is a XF40 PCGS Graded 1921 Peace Dollar for Sale on eBay. You might copy & paste the number and compare. If you do, please let me know what you think? Thanks for your interest. #, 393478101301
  • I'm not Bill but will say the XF40 on eBay is about the worst example of a 40 you'll find. And not just based on wear but also the cleaning, low eye appeal and no luster.
  •  I'm not the grader, I just put in PCGS graded XF40 1921 Peace Dollar on eBay. And this was the first one that came up.
  • Crack it out and send it in again.
  • I guessed VF35 so now I’m guilty of grade inflation.  😱
  •  this one is pcgs au58 CAC 
  • No reason to send any coins into PCGS right now.  They are grading LOW, and really LOW.  I stopped sending anything to them 4 months ago.
  • Wow.  If you're being very, very critical, I could possibly see VF35, but more likely XF.  VF30 seems strange unless there is a rim issue or something else we can't see in the photo.
  • Don’t confuse wear with strike. 1921 peace dollars have a wide variation of strike. Few are fully struck. Most mint state examples show weakness in the hair over the ear and feather details on the eagles back just above the leg. A fully struck one with slight wear isn’t mint state just because all the details are there. Conversely, a poorly stuck, never circulated one lacking details doesn’t make
    it circ. In the Morgan series, the best example I can think of is the 1893-CC. Most mint state examples extant are flat as a pancake
    (with most of those, terribly abraded) and lacking most or all breast feathers on the eagle and any definition of hair and ear. 
    They are not circulated. They exhibit full luster with no wear on the minimal details as made. 

Grading is an art, not a science which isn’t limited to just mint state coins. It also applies to circulated ones. 

Until there is an individual photograde for the approximately 10,000 coins the US mint has put out, photograde comparisons need not apply.