Opinions sought, pcgs ms66+rd 35-s cent — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Opinions sought, pcgs ms66+rd 35-s cent

Coin has very nice surfaces. Just the luster is a bit subdued, 3/5 on my scale. it's my duplicate and my other has nicer luster but a few tone spots. I'm trying to find some duplicates to sell. Should this coin go to CAC first? Should it even be tried for a 67rd? I hate selling coins and then later seeing someone else upgrade them.

Comments

• Going by those photos, I'd say that it is maxed out at MS-66+. Anything higher would require "blazing luster."

But, I'm far from a Gem quality Lincoln Cent expert because I don't buy them and never marketed them as a dealer. I like Brown or R&B cents that are more stable, and my favorite grade is MS-64.
  • I always was very fond of that date due to the difficulty of finding nice. This one looks VERY nice and I think BillJones comments are spot on.

As an aside I note that MS65RD price is largely unchanged for about the last 30 years!!
  • I see no harm in sending it to CAC, as all they have to agree to is that it’s solid as a 66RD.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that if you did send it to PCGS not as a crackout, but as either a Regrade or Reconsideration, they’ll take into account the VAST pricing differential of a 67RD vs. 66RD (CAC Price Report of $422 for a 66RD vs. $7,500 for a 67RD). In theory that shouldn’t come into play.

Not an apples to apples comparison, but here’s a True View of my very common 1935 (not 35-S), graded 67+ w/CAC:

Steve
  • Boy Sunday was a slow day here. Anyway, I mailed off my consignment and did not include the 35-s. I'll hold on to it for now. Yes the price difference is why I'm afraid to sell it. Beautiful 35-p. I have one just like it. a 35-d too.
  • I see no harm in sending it to CAC, as all they have to agree to is that it’s solid as a 66RD.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that if you did send it to PCGS not as a crackout, but as either a Regrade or Reconsideration, they’ll take into account the VAST pricing differential of a 67RD vs. 66RD (CAC Price Report of $422 for a 66RD vs. $7,500 for a 67RD). In theory that shouldn’t come into play.

Not an apples to apples comparison, but here’s a True View of my very common 1935 (not 35-S), graded 67+ w/CAC:

Steve

I agree with Winesteven and also Bill Jones.

• It looks like a very nice coin, but I find PCGS TV photos leave much to be desired when it comes to using them to form opinions from. TV's often have a pronounced red color shift so I cannot rely on TV photos to show true color. From the amount of surface disruptions and minor flyspecks I can see in the photo I also think it is currently maxed out grade wise. As to a bean, 50/50 imho.