Two Monster Proof $20’s — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Two Monster Proof $20’s

I was fortunate to be able to pick up two amazing Trompeter proof $20’s

1866 $20 with Motto, PR67 DCAM
Nathan M. Kaufman Collection
Ed Trompeter Collection 
Finest Type 2 Proof $20 Liberty for the entire series (1866-1876)

1870 $20 with Motto, PR66+ DCAM CAC
John H. Clapp Collection
Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. Collection
Ed Trompeter Collection 
Tacasyl Collection
Second finest Type 2 Proof $20 Liberty for the entire series (1866-1876) 

Comments

• Wow!!  Congratulations. Thanks for sharing them with us. 
  • edited September 2022
    @pcgscacgold beat me to it!

Ditto!!!

From the photos, PCGS screwed up! These are each PR71DCAM.

Steve
  • Those aren't "monsters". They're "Godzillas"!
    Congratulations on your acquisition of two numismatic treasures.
  • Wow again !!   Those really are something .

Congrats 🍾🎈🎊🎉 

I know it’s hard to tell from pictures but why that 1870 isn’t a 67  or 67 + is beyond me .

Stunning 😱❤️
  • Wow again !!   Those really are something .

Congrats 🍾🎈🎊🎉 

I know it’s hard to tell from pictures but why that 1870 isn’t a 67  or 67 + is beyond me .

Stunning 😱❤️
    In a very large number of instances, the grades of Proof coins are impacted by hairlines. And when the hairlines are light, they're rarely apparent, even in excellent images.
  • edited September 2022
    MarkFeld said:
    Wow again !!   Those really are something .

Congrats 🍾🎈🎊🎉 

Stunning 😱❤️
    In a very large number of instances, the grades of Proof coins are impacted by hairlines. And when the hairlines are light, they're rarely apparent, even in excellent images.

Thank you Mark .  Didn’t know that .   

Another series that I don’t understand is the 1907 High Relief Saint .  I have a wire edge ms 63 cac.   It looks better than most of the coins I have including some 66 +’s .    No marks , a satiny frosty look to it and looks to be solidly struck .   Yet it’s only a 63! 
     I realize this isn’t the time or place to discuss it.  But it is making me scratch my head .   Perhaps it’s the same answer as your answer above for the proofs . 

I want to add a proof ( that I can afford ) to my collection.   🙏🏻🙏🏻

• The combined CU is $1.95 million. Now might be a good time to sell, while the market is white hot. Of course, the market will always be super strong for proof $20 Libs.
  • Wow amazing. Reminds me of the 2 proof libs I used to own. Congratulations on your purchases!
  • Thanks to all for your kind posts- I feel lucky to have the opportunity to own them for a while!
  • oh my Lord!

you must enjoy them for a very long while

amazing numismatic treasures for sure
  • Congratulations! Those two are way too rich for my budget.
  • MarkFeld said:

Congrats 🍾🎈🎊🎉 

Stunning 😱❤️

Another series that I don’t understand is the 1907 High Relief Saint .  I have a wire edge ms 63 cac.   It looks better than most of the coins I have including some 66 +’s .    No marks , a satiny frosty look to it and looks to be solidly struck .   Yet it’s only a 63! 
     I realize this isn’t the time or place to discuss it.  But it is making me scratch my head .   Perhaps it’s the same answer as your answer above for the proofs . 

Hi Vincent I own a flashy lusterous MS 63 BayBridge commemorative that looks like MS 65 that didn’t pass CAC. JA pointed out numerous light hairlines on the coin, which doesn’t detract from the overall look of the piece. That could indeed be the situation with your coin well.
  • Stevie said:
    MarkFeld said:

Congrats 🍾🎈🎊🎉 

Stunning 😱❤️

Hi Vincent I own a flashy lusterous MS 63 BayBridge commemorative that looks like MS 65 that didn’t pass CAC. JA pointed out numerous light hairlines on the coin, which doesn’t detract from the overall look of the piece. That could indeed be the situation with your coin well.

I know about your coin .  ( I think everyone does !  Lol  ) ☺️

My coin did pass cac .   In the meantime I spoke with a respected grading expert and he pointed out some possible reasons it didn’t grade higher.   I’m satisfied .  
  • edited September 2022
    CACfan said:

The combined CU is $1.95 million. Now might be a good time to sell, while the market is white hot. Of course, the market will always be super strong for proof $20 Libs.

Gee, while anyone could use the cert numbers of those two special coins to determine value, I would not have chosen to do that. We should just accept the beauty, appreciate the coins, and feel joy for the new owner without the need to point out the value.

Separately, being he just acquired the coins, why in the world would you suggest he consider selling them right away (I acknowledge the market is hot)? Do you really think he may actually act on your suggestion? I’m convinced he receives “value” by the pleasure he’ll receive of owning, holding, showing, and just eyeing these coins.

Steve
  • Stevie said:

MarkFeld said:

Congrats 🍾🎈🎊🎉 

Stunning 😱❤️

CACfan said:

The combined CU is $1.95 million. Now might be a good time to sell, while the market is white hot. Of course, the market will always be super strong for proof $20 Libs.

Gee, while anyone could use the cert numbers of those two special coins to determine value, I would not have chosen to do that. We should just accept the beauty, appreciate the coins, and feel joy for the new owner without the need to point out the value.

Separately, being he just acquired the coins, why in the world would you suggest he consider selling them right away (I acknowledge the market is hot)? Do you really think he may actually act on your suggestion? I’m convinced he receives “value” by the pleasure he’ll receive of owning, holding, showing, and just eyeing these coins.

Steve
    Where the “strongly agree” button? 😉
  • Glad you said something Steve .  Had I it’d look like I was targeting him.   He really gets under a lot peoples skin around here .   No wonder he won’t let anyone know who he is .

He is one those people ….. 
  • Wow amazing. Reminds me of the 2 proof libs I used to own. Congratulations on your purchases!
    Maybe they are the two that you used to own?
          Beautiful coins! 
        I would love to see one up close. The mint workers sure did an amazing job years ago.
  • CACfan said:

Steve
    Because I am speaking from a dealer's perspective. Buy and flip.
  • Understood, but I believe he’s a collector, and therefore see’s things through a collector’s perspective, which is ok. ;)
  • The hunt, the research and the thrill of victory aside, I’m really a buy and hold collector. I love each and every one of my coins and don’t like to sell. The few that I have sold- if you buy and hold them long enough you might even make a few bucks in the end- nothing wrong with that!