Newp $1 for those that indulge in such minor states — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Newp $1 for those that indulge in such minor states

Comments

• I like gold dollars, but a lot of collectors don't care for them because they are so small. Some government officials, mint director Patterson in particular, did not care for them because he thought that they cast a negative light on the country. He thought that only second rate nations issued small gold coins.

Congress adopted the gold dollar and the twenty-dollar gold piece at the same time. The gold dollar was looked upon was a way to stretch out the dwindling production from the southern gold fields to keep the Charlotte and Dahlonega Mints open. The $20 gold coin facilitated the use of the significant gold discoveries in California and later other western states. 

• Alan, I’m curious, why did you buy that coin? I don’t dislike it, but it’s not in what I think of as your areas of collecting.

• I learned something today. Thank you Bill!

• Here are two of the most beautiful gold dollars I have. This 1880 gold dollar has a mintage of 1,600. Before you get too excited, the coin was hoarded. There are something like 950 of them left today, but this falls in the "upper crust" among the survivors. This is a PCGS "Old Green Label" MS-65.

This 1883 gold dollar is my only "old Proof" gold coin. The Proof mintage was 207. This one is a PCGS PR-65, CAM, CAC. 1883 was my grandmother's birth year. She used to look for 1883 dated coins. She would have loved this one.

• edited December 2021

Mark,

I love old gold, but I love old gold when it has mint flaws even more. I could not resist the cud on the reverse at 10 o'clock. After researching these mint flaws I realized that they are quite rare and of course quite fascinating when found on gold.