Bass Bidding — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Bass Bidding

Bidding at last night's sale was crazy! I was outbid on eveything I really wanted. I was nowhere close on the rare proofs. I only picked
up an insignificant $5.

Comments

• That’s what often happens with “name” auctions. I ran into the same thing during the Newman sales.

You also have the added premium for coins that are plated in standard die variety reference books. I am referring to the Danreuther - Bass book on early gold.
  • You may be able to buy them for less in the coming years. That’s been my experience in the past, with for example the Pogue auctions. There’s all the initial hype and promotion and these coins sell for astronomical numbers- some deservedly so, others well…..maybe, maybe not. I’ve privately purchased a number of spectacular Pogue rarities for less than they went for in the Pogue auctions. No disprespect to Pogue at all- he’s my favorite modern provenance. 
  • I lot viewed and then targeted two half eagles. One blew past my max bid before live bidding started and the other went for 30k more than my limit. 
    There were some beautiful coins. And strong bidding followed. 
  • You may be able to buy them for less in the coming years. That’s been my experience in the past, with for example the Pogue auctions. There’s all the initial hype and promotion and these coins sell for astronomical numbers- some deservedly so, others well…..maybe, maybe not. I’ve privately purchased a number of spectacular Pogue rarities for less than they went for in the Pogue auctions. No disprespect to Pogue at all- he’s my favorite modern provenance. 

I believe you are right. I have more experience in rare stamp auctions where I always avoided named auctions. I sensed a little bit of a mania in the bidding last night. While I could have gone higher on a number of lots I decided against it. I like you did buy a couple of Poque coins a few years later at good prices.

Have you found the Pogue coins to be better for the grade on average over other coins without provenance?

I have found that my Half Dome coins have been much nicer on average then other coins in the grade , including coins with a +

I’ve only had one Fairmont and picking up a 1911 D $5 63+ CAC this week .  It’s only 63+ graded by PCGS .   Hope it’s really easy on the eyes 
  • I haven’t seen any Half Dome or Fairmont coins in person, but the Pogue coins are consistently beautiful- he had a good eye and deep pockets to buy the best of the best. 
  • I haven’t seen any Half Dome or Fairmont coins in person, but the Pogue coins are consistently beautiful- he had a good eye and deep pockets to buy the best of the best. 

That’s kind of what I suspected.   Pretty amazing the collections some men manage to put together .  With help or going it solo.   ( I think Koessi did a lot of his own hunting ) 
     It’s good to see a few modern day guys doing the same ! 😉☺️👍🏻
  • The big money comes out for the big collections. We were out bid by a runaway collector on the $2.5 1848 CAL. They paid a staggering $552,000.00 for a coin we thought was worth $350,000.00 max. We pushed it and finally gave up at $450G hammer (auction frustration). Happened on several other coins. However, we stole the $5 1909 PCGS PR67 CAC at $114,000.00 (Sold).

BTW, Half Dome coins are spectacular. NO DOGS. Fairmont sold cheap this time around.
  • Legend said:

The big money comes out for the big collections. We were out bid by a runaway collector on the $2.5 1848 CAL. They paid a staggering $552,000.00 for a coin we thought was worth $350,000.00 max. We pushed it and finally gave up at $450G hammer (auction frustration). Happened on several other coins. However, we stole the $5 1909 PCGS PR67 CAC at $114,000.00 (Sold).

You're making out that the buyer of the Cal $2.5 is a lunatic, but you bid exactly $10k less for it. Ie. $540k you were in. Winner paid $552k.

- Ian
  • Legend said:

The big money comes out for the big collections. We were out bid by a runaway collector on the $2.5 1848 CAL. They paid a staggering $552,000.00 for a coin we thought was worth $350,000.00 max. We pushed it and finally gave up at $450G hammer (auction frustration). Happened on several other coins. However, we stole the $5 1909 PCGS PR67 CAC at $114,000.00 (Sold).

You're making out that the buyer of the Cal $2.5 is a lunatic, but you bid exactly $10k less for it. Ie. $540k you were in. Winner paid $552k.

- Ian
    In her defense, she never said that she wasn't also a lunatic. ;)
  • Legend said:

- Ian
    Well, at some point, after many opposing bids, one has to stop eventually. We don't know how much higher the winning bidder would have gone.
  • Ian my dear, your buyer did not stop to breathe. You know how frustrating that is? I admit, there was a little anger in our bidding after our bail point.

Even though you paid too much, you still got a legit rare and nice coin. Just don't resell it today.

The $5 1821 was insane too. Impossible to value a coin like that. You'd have thought something like $2.5 million hammer would have done it. The buyer is a long-time collector who probably will never ever sell it. Maybe $10 million in 20 years?
  • Legend said:
    The big money comes out for the big collections. We were out bid by a runaway collector on the $2.5 1848 CAL. They paid a staggering $552,000.00 for a coin we thought was worth $350,000.00 max. We pushed it and finally gave up at $450G hammer (auction frustration). Happened on several other coins. However, we stole the $5 1909 PCGS PR67 CAC at $114,000.00 (Sold). BTW, Half Dome coins are spectacular. NO DOGS. Fairmont sold cheap this time around.

The 4 Half Dome gold coins I got from you were absolutely stunning for their grades. 

I bought another one elsewhere , it too was spectacular.

I’d like to think the Fairmont coins are also very clean for their grade.   I’ve had only one then yesterday I received the 1911 D $5 Indian 63+ cac from you .    Solid for the grade but somehow the Half Dome coins overall seem superior .   Must be your doing and excellent eye!!   They ( HD ) really are something .  
  • Legend said:

BTW, Half Dome coins are spectacular. NO DOGS. Fairmont sold cheap this time around.

What was the grade on the 1848-CAL?
    I don't seem able to figure the parameters to check the GC archives.
    I sold mine when it failed to CAC.
    Mine was graded 45.

• Pyrite said:

Legend said:

What was the grade on the 1848-CAL?
    I don't seem able to figure the parameters to check the GC archives.
    I sold mine when it failed to CAC.
    Mine was graded 45.

Heritage is conducting the Bass sales.
    Here’s a link to the 1848 CAL. being discussed.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/liberty-quarter-eagles/quarter-eagles/1848-2-1-2-cal-ms64-pcgs-cac-pcgs-7749-/a/1353-11013.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515
  • 11-D $5 do not come nice. That actually was nice for the date and grade.

The Cal was a AU55 CAC.
  • Legend said:

11-D $5 do not come nice. That actually was nice for the date and grade.

The Cal was a AU55 CAC.

How did the discussion go from the MS64 CAL., for which you said you were the underbidder, to an AU55?
  • oops, me not thinking. It was a MS64.......sorry folks. OLD AGE SUCKS
  • Mark Feld's link led to a 64.
  • Pyrite said:

Mark Feld's link led to a 64.

That link was for the MS64 that was being discussed - the one, about which Laura wrote “We were our bid by a runaway collector on the $2.5 1848 CAL. They paid a staggering $552,000.00 for a coin we thought was worth $350,000.00 max. We pushed it and finally gave up at $450G hammer (auction frustration).”