Please grade this circulated Barber half — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Please grade this circulated Barber half

Comments

• VF25 maybe 30?
  • VF is my first impression 
  • VF-25. The wear on the eagle's feathers on the reveres keeps it from going any higher.
  • Another vote for VF25 
  • edited October 2022
    Thanks for the replies. I saw this coin at Walt Ankerman's table at the Chicago/ANA show last year.

It has the look I very much like for Barbers, it appeared under graded by NGC at VF20, and I am a fan of the 95-P as an under rated date. Icing on the cake was Walt accepted my low (especially considering the undergrade) offer.

A bit later as I was admiring I noticed what looked to be a very weak O mint mark. Being unfamiliar with the variety, I walked the coin over to Larry Briggs' table, donated to his Young Numismatists fund, and asked him to have look. He confirmed and rewarded me with a "good eye" comment.

Definitely a bit unsettling to me that NGC likely semi-botched something like this. Of course applying St. Feldini's razor tells me it could be just a mechanical error o:)

FF I submitted the coin raw to PCGS (as a 95-O ) and it came back like this:

The difference in value between a mid grade 95-P and 95-O is small, but it is surprising to me that both of the top TPG's (especially PCGS who had the correct info on the submission form) would fail this way.

• Interesting that they (PCGS and NGC) failed to note the mintmark. If you submit to CAC they might decline to give it a sticker because of the certificate omission. I realize these are not exactly the same thing, but I once submitted a very nice PCGS EF40 Seated Liberty half dollar that was labeled as a Reeded Edge half dollar and CAC kicked the coin back to me (without charge) and noted that they did not sticker coins with label errors.

• Thanks Tom, yeah I can see where CAC would not be wanting to perpetuate/condone such coins.
  • Nearly all of my submissions to PCGS are returned with a comedy of errors. PCGS's quality control is a joke.