Reholder and Resticker Question — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Reholder and Resticker Question

Hello Gents 

I have some lower graded CAC approved Saints in older holders I thought about reholdering them with Gold Shield holders snd restickering them.

Do collectors prefer the old labels or the new labels ?    Would they bring more at auction with Gold Shield or the old labels?    

Trying to weight the pros & cons .

Thank you 

Comments

• I see no reason to incur any expenses in having those particular coins reholdered.
  • I personally don’t think whether a coin is in the older or newer holders really matters, but if they don’t have TrueViews you can have TVs taken through the current holder inexpensively without having to pay the reholdering and restickering costs and associated mailing/risk. 

I do think not having a TrueView can make a difference to potential buyers- just my opinion as a buyer. It bothers me if a coin doesn’t have a TV. In fact I will be dropping off 4 gold coins with CAC stickers at the PCGS table at FUN just to have TrueViews taken.
  • No difference in the market for what you have.

Regarding pictures, for my coins that the TV is not consistently accurate. The pics are red emphasized. So, getting my coins photographed by @robec1347 is preferred in order to show what the coin most looks like in hand. As such, I have the opposite view from FFL in that the coin will not look like a TV when seen in hand and I have to interpret the pic as I factor a buying decision.
  • Catbert said:
    No difference in the market for what you have. Regarding pictures, for my coins that the TV is not consistently accurate. The pics are red emphasized. So, getting my coins photographed by @robec1347 is preferred in order to show what the coin most looks like in hand. As such, I have the opposite view from FFL in that the coin will not look like a TV when seen in hand and I have to interpret the pic as I factor a buying decision.
    Are you shipping your coins to someone (robec) and then having them shipped back to you? I hate shipping coins, so I’ll settle for dropping them off in person with PCGS for the glamour shots! I agree they don’t always look the same in hand, but I’ve sort of gotten used to interpreting TVs with a grain of salt- so far I’ve only been disappointed a couple of times, in which instances I turn around and sell them on GC.
  • FFL, yes I do that at some risk but so far, no problem and Bob is highly trustworthy. I'm a stickler when it comes to photography and feel strongly that the TV service should be of better quality.
  • Thank you gents .   I appreciate all of your opinions on the matter.    I’ll not be doing anything with these coins in that case.    I will reholder and sticker my high value higher graded coins for my collections .   Like FFL I like the TV and Gold Shield uniformity .   

You want to see a screw up?    I had this 1914 D $2.50 indian ms 64+ sold .   I wrapped it but realized I needed to add something .  So I used scissors to cut the tape and bubble wrap.  I had no idea I was that close to the holder ! 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🙈.    How you like that scratch ?   Now to start the process … 
  • TrueViews are hit or miss. It's hard to get a perfect shot when you get one chance and 20 seconds.

For comparison, I usually take around 5 minutes and 9 shots of each coin I photograph in my collection. I'd also say my photos aren't as good as TrueViews, so they provide a pretty dang good service.
  • edited October 2022
    1. The older the holder, the better the sales appeal in my experience. Your 1911-D and 1915-S $20's are in GEN 4.5 slabs (2011 to 2013), which are definitely worth more than newer holders.
    2. But if you insist on reholdering, you might as well spring for the slightly pricier regrading. If even one of several coins submitted upgrade with a "+" it would offset the total extra cost. You might even experience a full grade increase as has happened to many of my $20's. If you are a gambler, regrading always trumps reholdering.
    3. Have PCGS change the slab serial numbers unless there is a particularly high auction price record.
    4. TrueViews always boost sales appeal in my experience.
    5. Coins previously approved by CAC will definitely be reapproved in their new slabs with different serial numbers, provided that you present photos of the coins in their old holders.
    6. PCGS reholdering has a two week turnaround. Regrading will take four months!
  • edited October 2022

Decided not to reholder them.  I want better coins anyways so I’m looking for upgrades and selling these .  

I would never change a Cert # to deceive the public by trying to hide a coins sales history .

I try to always do the right thing even when no one is looking . 

•  Decided not to reholder them.  I want better coins anyways so I’m looking for upgrades and selling these .  

I would never change a Cert # to deceive the public by trying to hide a coins sales history .

But wholesale sheet price increases routinely occur, one reason why APR's are highly misleading. And just because a bargain fell through an auction because few were looking does not mean that it is not worth much more even at wholesale.
  • CACfan said:

Decided not to reholder them.  I want better coins anyways so I’m looking for upgrades and selling these .  

But wholesale sheet price increases routinely occur, one reason why APR's are highly misleading. And just because a bargain fell through an auction because few were looking does not mean that it is not worth much more even at wholesale.

What is APR ?  🙈

Thank you 🙏🏻 
  • Auction price results/reports.
  • john said:

Auction price results/reports.

Not that I’m pointing the finger at anyone, 😉 but if someone were extra picky, they might even say “auction prices realized”.
  • Absolutely. Or " Auction prices regretted".
  • john said:

Absolutely. Or " Auction prices regretted".

Your definition is by far the most clever.

But the official dealers' definition is "auction prices realized".
  • I know. I dumb down things a lot, because although I am smart and clever, I don't want to make the person asking a question feel there is only one answer.

I am sure you realized that.
  • john said:

I know. I dumb down things a lot, because although I am smart and clever, I don't want to make the person asking a question feel there is only one answer.

I am sure you realized that.

I know that your answer is tongue-in-cheek but dealers who say "APR" mean "auction prices realized". But this is the definitive example of your funny definition:

• Yes. Brother, do you have a dime?
  • john said:
    Auction price results/reports.

Thank you 👍🏻
  • john said:

Yes. Brother, do you have a dime?

The bidder paid $364,250 for an MS68+FB dime whose Price Guide listing was $4,500 in MS68FB. Should we laugh or cry?