CAC Grading Service planned for start in 2023 - Coin World Article — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

CAC Grading Service planned for start in 2023 - Coin World Article

Comments

• For the record, for years, I had told people that I didn't think CAC would start their own "grading service". How did I do? :#
  • Pretty exciting! This should be a most interesting change for the hobby and collectors.
  • I've known about this for some time, but the reality is finally setting in. Sticker premiums are going to go through the roof now.
  • The rumors are indeed true. We will be contacting our members shortly regarding the transition and I will keep the forum updated with everything that our members will need to know moving forward. @MarkFeld You did great :)
  • vamsplus said:

I've known about this for some time, but the reality is finally setting in. Sticker premiums are going to go through the roof now.

True for gold. Don’t see it for green.
  • I've only heard about the crazy prices slabs brought when the TPGs started, given I wasn't alive then. Are we heading for a repeat of this - the first few CAC slabs bringing huge money no matter what the coin inside is?
  • vamsplus said:

I've known about this for some time, but the reality is finally setting in. Sticker premiums are going to go through the roof now.

Catbert said:

vamsplus said:

If I may speculate (isn't that what this is all about?)....JA's quote is:

"We will be phasing out the stickers over time."

That reads to me as missing a key phrase at the end..."if the market supports that." In other words, it's (appropriately!) non-committal.

If the market accepts the CAC Grading Service as #1 and relegates PCGS & NGC, then stickers will become unnecessary and similarly devalued on PCGS & NGC holders (and they can be phased out). But if the market continues to value stickered PCGS and NGC slabs, then it would be against CACs interest (as a brand) to stop it, and I predict "over time" becomes "never".

So...let the market decide! I am excited to dive into the new grading service, and congrats to @JACAC and @CAC_Team on the announcement.

• Well said, Noah!
  • Sounds great. More liability, more effort, more cost..... what could go wrong?

:D >:)
  • I hope they grade jeffs, Roosies, and at least regular issue 1965-date coins.
  • This is mighty big news. It will be interesting to see how the market plays out over time.
  • Looks like I may have to change my name to CACgold in 2023 :smiley:
  • I guess my only question is - Will they only holder coins that are A or B for the grade?
  • redseals said:

I guess my only question is - Will they only holder coins that are A or B for the grade?

If things stay as they are now, some dealers will be getting back 50+% of their submissions in body bags.
  • I would suspect most "C" coins will end up the next grade down. Plus grades is an important question.
  • Making a Market, at its finest. 2 in a row. And brilliantly connected.
    Now all that has to happen is successful delivery of the business model.

I expect it won't take 14 years to reach the next innovative step, though. Technology leaps and bounds, and Bio interface and programmed virtual reality, and....I want in. Where do I send the Wampum?
  • noahlh said:

vamsplus said:

Catbert said:

vamsplus said:

If I may speculate (isn't that what this is all about?)....JA's quote is:

"We will be phasing out the stickers over time."

That reads to me as missing a key phrase at the end..."if the market supports that." In other words, it's (appropriately!) non-committal.

If the market accepts the CAC Grading Service as #1 and relegates PCGS & NGC, then stickers will become unnecessary and similarly devalued on PCGS & NGC holders (and they can be phased out). But if the market continues to value stickered PCGS and NGC slabs, then it would be against CACs interest (as a brand) to stop it, and I predict "over time" becomes "never".

So...let the market decide! I am excited to dive into the new grading service, and congrats to @JACAC and @CAC_Team on the announcement.

Not sure I get the concept that stickers on PCGS and NGC slabs would be devalued. Maybe I am not understanding you on that point? The only way to get a CAC opinion on a coin in a holder that has some desirability as a holder is via a sticker and there are lots of old holders still out there to be found.
  • redseals said:

I guess my only question is - Will they only holder coins that are A or B for the grade?

If things stay as they are now, some dealers will be getting back 50+% of their submissions in body bags.
    I am going to start a guaranteed Coin Attrition Crack-Out Service: CACOS.

(Don't even think about stealing this idea, or the next person you hear from will be J. Noble Daggett).
  • I have found NGC CAC gold coins sell for less than PCGS (same grade, both with stickers). I wonder how this will affect that price variation. It sounds like JA would slab both the same. Might be time to load up on NGC gold with CAC stickers and have them slabbed in 2023.
  • MarkFeld said:

For the record, for years, I had told people that I didn't think CAC would start their own "grading service". How did I do? :#

When are you moving to New Jersey? ;)