CAC Grading Company Announcement & FAQ Question Submission - Page 29 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

CAC Grading Company Announcement & FAQ Question Submission

Comments

• edited November 2022
    Stevie, I’m going to butt in for the first part of your post with my thoughts regarding your prior request that you have now edited out.

You asked if you submit your mid MS grade coin for crossover to 67 or better, and it fails, you want JA to call you before returning the coin, letting you know what grade it would indeed cross at, and if you agreed to that lower grade, they would then cross it at that grade lower than a 67.

What you’re asking for Stevie is taking advantage of the process and their time. When submitting a coin for crossover, request the lowest grade you will accept. They’re honest, and if it merits a 67, that’s what it’ll cross at. Otherwise, request a high grade to cross, asking for a note if it fails, and then be willing to pay a new crossover fee to have it then cross at a lower grade that you will accept.

As an observer, once again you’re asking for extra benefits.
  • I’m going to butt in for the first part with my thoughts. What you’re asking for is taking advantage of the process and their time. When submitting a coin for crossover, request the lowest grade you will accept. They’re honest, and if it merits a 67, that’s what it’ll cross at. Otherwise, request a high grade to cross, asking for a note if it fails, and then be willing to pay a new crossover fee to have it then cross at a lower grade that you will accept. As an observer, once again you’re asking for extra benefits.
    Agreed
  • edited November 2022
    Thank You 
  • edited November 2022
    I don’t know the answer to your question, but as they roll out the services, we’ll all know the relevant details.

My understanding is it’s possible it’s “dynamic”, in that over time, seeing how things are working out, it’s possible they may modify early decisions.
  • Stevie said:
    Do you think like with the sticker service there will be no charge to the collectors only for failed crossovers?
    Gosh, I hope they charge for all submissions! Otherwise, that’s going to double+ the turnaround time. Gotta find the sweet spot for charges vs not getting too backlogged…like any other business!
  • PonyUp said:
    Stevie said:
    Do you think like with the sticker service there will be no charge to the collectors only for failed crossovers?
    Gosh, I hope they charge for all submissions! Otherwise, that’s going to double+ the turnaround time. Gotta find the sweet spot for charges vs not getting too backlogged…like any other business!
    Exactly. People are always looking for a handout. Cac has done enough to educate and help out collectors. Asking for more is unbelievable!
  • This question is speculative, but with there being David Lawrence Rare Coins, CDN HQ, a Stack Bowers Office, and now a major grading company all based in VA Beach, I think it is safe to say the city is one of the largest hubs of the rare coin market and will continue to be one in future years. Additionally, the new tax exemption on gold and silver makes VA a more attractive place for coin business. How do you see this changing the numismatic market in the VA Beach area? I.e. a larger coin show, hosting of other numismatic events, or even the migration of other coin dealers or collectors to the area.
  • edited December 2022
    All sounds VERY viable to me! However, how close is the nearest airport where people can fly in non-stop without having to take a puddle-jumper? Does Virginia Beach have a Convention Center to handle a major coin show? Sufficient hotel capacity?
  • Virginia Beach is a great tourist city with lots of hotels and a good size convention center. The beaches here are among the best on the east coast, though I may be biased in saying that. The nearest airport is Norfolk (13 miles from the oceanfront)
  • That’s great that VB is close to Norfolk airport, but do many major airports in the U.S. fly non-stop to Norfolk, other than Atlanta, Charlotte, Philly, and NY (not counting Spirit Airlines)?
  • That’s great that VB is close to Norfolk airport, but do many major airports in the U.S. fly non-stop to Norfolk, other than Atlanta, Charlotte, Philly, and NY (not counting Spirit Airlines)?

This is an excellent point, Steve. I just went on Expedia and picked a random weekend in February. Destination Norfolk, but I chose 3 locations to take off from. Fort Lauderdale, Philly, and Boston. Not one of them had any direct flights from any airline without a layover.

On a side note, your comment about spirit indicates to me that you don’t fly with them (I could be wrong). All of spirits nonsense aside, if you upgrade to the first two rows (~$100 extra) they’re actually very wide, comfortable seats and it’s a cheap alternative to first class. I often use spirit because sometimes they’re the only ones with direct flights to my frequent travel locations, i can’t stand layover flights. 
  • edited December 2022
    Dan - Thanks. Like you, many people, including myself, prefer to avoid having to make a connecting flight, which has the potential to be missed (and let’s not talk about missing/delayed checked luggage with a connecting flight).

Major shows around Orlando, Chicago, L.A., etc. allow many people from all across the country to get to without having a connecting flight. My sense with flying into Norfolk is people from around Boston, Florida, Texas, California (naming only high population areas) would be limited to itineraries with only connecting flights.

I mentioned four cities in my prior post that do indeed offer non-stop flights to Norfolk, at least during season. So people flying from those areas can indeed do fine, but that limits people not near those four areas.

I did fly Spirit once, and did indeed pay for their “upgrade package”, which included things I like.

Per their webpage, non-stops into Norfolk International include these origins:

Atlanta (ATL)
    Baltimore (BWI)
    Boston (BOS)
    Charleston (CHS)
    Charlotte (CLT)
    Chicago-O’Hare (ORD)
    Chicago-Midway (MDW)
    Cincinnati (CVG)
    Columbus (LCK)
    Columbus (CMH)
    Dallas (DAL)
    Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW)
    Detroit (DTW)
    Denver (DEN)
    Ft. Lauderdale (FLL)
    Hartford (BDL)
    Houston (IAH)
    Jacksonville (JAX)
    Las Vegas (LAS)
    Long Island (ISP)
    Los Angeles (LAX)
    Miami (MIA)
    Nashville (BNA)
    Newark (EWR)
    New Orleans (MSY)
    New York-JFK (JFK)
    New York-LaGuardia (LGA)
    Orlando-Sanford (SFB)
    Orlando (MCO)
    Palm Beach (PBI)
    Philadelphia (PHL)
    Pittsburgh (PIT)
    Providence (PVD)
    Punta Gorda-Ft. Myers (PGD)
    Savannah (SAV)
    Tampa-St. Pete (PIE)
    Tampa (TPA)
    Washington-Reagan National (DCA)
    Washington-Dulles (IAD)
    White Plains (HPN)
  • edited December 2022
    Try to find a non-stop flight to Norfolk when you actually want to go. I plugged in an "in-season" date of mid-May, and the only way to get there from West Palm Beach and Ft. Lauderdale (on your list) had stopovers in either Atlanta, Charlotte, Philly, or NY. Choosing mid-May is "fairer" than a weekend in February, tried by a forum member above. Still no luck.

I went to their website to see which airlines fly non-stop to Norfolk from West Palm Beach and Ft. Lauderdale - from PBI only Breeze Airways (not a joke), and from Ft. Lauderdale Allegient and Spirit. And that's only some days some of the time!
  • Try to find a non-stop flight to Norfolk when you actually want to go. I plugged in an "in-season" date of mid-May, and the only way to get there from West Palm Beach and Ft. Lauderdale (on your list) had stopovers in either Atlanta, Charlotte, Philly, or NY. Choosing mid-May is "fairer" than a weekend in February, tried by a forum member above. Still no luck.

I went to their website to see which airlines fly non-stop to Norfolk from West Palm Beach and Ft. Lauderdale - from PBI only Breeze Airways (not a joke), and from Ft. Lauderdale Allegient and Spirit. And that's only some days some of the time!

I would not fly from California to Norfolk unless I absolutely had to. There’s probably one direct flight a day from LA and if I fly with a connection and miss it I’m really screwed.

Fair point, I will say, as someone based out of D.C., I have only had to embark on the 3 hour drive, and hadn't thought about flying. While the drive down from the D.C. area might not be appealing to all, there are sure to be lots of direct flights up there between the three D.C. Area airports.
  • edited December 2022
    So it’s suggested to take a non-stop flight to D.C., then rent a car for a few days, and drive three hours each way, depending on traffic? That’ll draw a big crowd, lol.

As a generalization, people who need to fly to a show prefer to fly either non-stop, or if they have to change planes, to then be flying on an airline where there are several later flights that same day in case they miss their connection. Once arriving on land, then to have a reasonable taxi or Uber ride to the site (NOT a three hour one way drive).

I suggest we stop, as this is a CAC site discussing CAC and related numismatic issues. If CAC chooses down the road to have a show in Virginia Beach due to so much top numismatic talent in that local geographic area, these issues can be discussed. My sense is the promoters will be satisfied drawing mainly from the East coast. There’s nothing saying it has to be a MAJOR show like FUN or ANA.

Steve
  • The non-stop flight issue feels like a pretty big first world problem. Lol.
  • We are currently negotiating with several airlines and the FAA . Hopefully, many more non stops coming. JA