CAC Grading Company Announcement & FAQ Question Submission - Page 3 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

CAC Grading Company Announcement & FAQ Question Submission

Comments

• @JACAC

Glad to hear that. Look forward to your in depth response. I want to echo what others have said and  thank you for your time, effort and dedication helping us collectors. I’ve learned so much from viewing CAC coins and would not have the collection I have without CACs help.
  • First off, thank you for everything you have done for the hobby. If possible can CAC accept coins at the FUN Show? Even if a longer wait period to be graded would be appreciated.
    And will collectors be able to pay for return postage since we do not have insurance. Thanks
  • Forgive me if this has been answered previously. Will series like Jeffersons and Roosies be graded?
  • Bushmaster- yes on both.  JA 
  • edited October 2022
    John is your new holder going to have prongs like the current PCGS holders, or is your team developing a holder with the clearer astethics of the PCGS OGH or other Prongless PCGS holders of 2000-2011, or the newer ANACS holders? When will you have a prototype we can view? Thanks for your time 
  •  Will CAC encapsulate “C” coins ?    Scenario #1 ; An 1893-s dollar graded au50 is submitted for a sticker.  It has au58 detail but is obviously improperly cleaned .   It’s considered “ market acceptable and very salable “ for many large marketers . We see these every week and they do not earn a sticker. We spend mere seconds on such a submission. In this  case , CAC Grading will encapsulate it as “ AU Details, Cleaned” 
  • I’m happy to comment on other scenarios. JA 
  • JACAC said:

I’m happy to comment on other scenarios. JA 

What about something like an AU bust half that's solid for the grade as far as wear and contact marks, but has been dipped and re-toned over time? Or, circulated gold that has been processed and does not have original surfaces?
  • JACAC said:

Will CAC encapsulate “C” coins ?    Scenario #1 ; An 1893-s dollar graded au50 is submitted for a sticker.  It has au58 detail but is obviously improperly cleaned .   It’s considered “ market acceptable and very salable “ for many large marketers . We see these every week and they do not earn a sticker. We spend mere seconds on such a submission. In this  case , CAC Grading will encapsulate it as “ AU Details, Cleaned” 

John, scenario #2: What will CAC Grading do with “C coins” without issues such as cleaning, but which failed to sticker because they were simply low-end, though accurate for the assigned grade? Thanks.
  • Hi Mark F.  An ms65 Saint, no PVC or “film” problems but a few too many abrasions for a true gem, we’ll grade it 64+.  This may not be that difficult after all .  If a coin isn’t sticker worthy, it will wind up in a details holder, or a lower grade holder. As stated earlier, CAC coin collectors won’t have to be concerned with C coins diluting their holdings.  JA 
  • JACAC said:

Hi Mark F.  An ms65 Saint, no PVC or “film” problems but a few too many abrasions for a true gem, we’ll grade it 64+.  This may not be that difficult after all .  If a coin isn’t sticker worthy, it will wind up in a details holder, or a lower grade holder. As stated earlier, CAC coin collectors won’t have to be concerned with C coins diluting their holdings.  JA 

Great, thanks John.
  • edited October 2022
    I’m going to think this over a bit   
  • Take a nap too, John, seriously. Plenty of time to hash this all out...
  • In your FAQ, it says:

If a coin doesn’t receive a CAC sticker, does this mean CAC believes the coin is over-graded?

Absolutely not. There are many coins that are certified accurately for their grade. Unfortunately, it is an inescapable reality that many are at the lower end of the quality range for the assigned grade. CAC’s rejection of a coin does not necessarily mean that CAC believes the coin has been over-graded. It simply means that there are other coins with CAC stickers that are of higher quality for the grade. CAC will eventually reject tens of thousands of accurately graded coins. Many of these rejected coins will be acceptable to numerous dealers and collectors and will continue to be available in the marketplace. For quality-conscious collectors and dealers, a coin with a CAC sticker will have significant meaning.

It would seem wrong to me to put a MS 65 "C" coin into a 64+ holder. It may not be CAC sticker quality, but it's not a 64 coin either. It's just a low end 65 coin. You almost want to put it in a MS 65 CAC holder and differentiate those C coins from A and B coins with a CAC sticker on the CAC holder. :D
  • Kccoin- A great question on dipped Bust Halves. We sticker dipped  bust halves quite frequently in high grade. I’ve seen many beautiful fully lusterous ms64 Bust Halves with zero friction/rub   Lower grades, on the other hand, are a different story. AU’s still have lots of luster but as you go down the grading scale, it becomes more offensive when they’re dipped   There’s nothing more hideous to a Bust Half connoisseur than a fully dipped pure white 1811 Half graded Fine 12. We have all seen many AU Bust Halves that were dipped maybe 30-40 years ago and now starting to tone in albums or cellophane 2x2’s.  I’m my opinion, some are fine but will be slightly penalized, others still seem a bit offensive and will not sticker . It’s really a matter of taste . It is  comforting that they’re still in the toning process and will hopefully improve over time as they fully tone JA 
  • edited October 2022

In your FAQ, it says:
    It would seem wrong to me to put a MS 65 "C" coin into a 64+ holder. It may not be CAC sticker quality, but it's not a 64 coin either. It's just a low end 65 coin. You almost want to put it in a MS 65 CAC holder and differentiate those C coins from A and B coins with a CAC sticker on the CAC holder. :D

That said, I can also see a good thing to reduce the hair splitting and have "C" coins be graded a grade lower but with a plus. The market seems to agree with this as I've seen plenty of times where a PCGS holdered plus coin with CAC sticker sell at the same price or more than the next grade up without CAC.
  • In your FAQ, it says: If a coin doesn’t receive a CAC sticker, does this mean CAC believes the coin is over-graded? Absolutely not. There are many coins that are certified accurately for their grade. Unfortunately, it is an inescapable reality that many are at the lower end of the quality range for the assigned grade. CAC’s rejection of a coin does not necessarily mean that CAC believes the coin has been over-graded. It simply means that there are other coins with CAC stickers that are of higher quality for the grade. CAC will eventually reject tens of thousands of accurately graded coins. Many of these rejected coins will be acceptable to numerous dealers and collectors and will continue to be available in the marketplace. For quality-conscious collectors and dealers, a coin with a CAC sticker will have significant meaning. It would seem wrong to me to put a MS 65 "C" coin into a 64+ holder. It may not be CAC sticker quality, but it's not a 64 coin either. It's just a low end 65 coin. You almost want to put it in a MS 65 CAC holder and differentiate those C coins from A and B coins with a CAC sticker on the CAC holder. :D
    That would defeat the purpose of the new grading service. A CAC MS 65 has to be a B or A coin or it loses validity as the new strict grading company 
  • “ it would seem wrong “. And maybe it is but it would be much more harmful to dilute every coin with a CAC sticker.  Keep in mind, we have to be diplomatic  and state that if a coin doesn’t sticker it doesn’t mean it’s overgraded, it just doesn’t meet out standard. There’s no right and wrong here , every grading service has a different standard . Many feel we are too strict and refuse to send us coins -that’s OK , we’re not looking for 100% market share . JA 
  • In your FAQ, it says:

If a coin doesn’t receive a CAC sticker, does this mean CAC believes the coin is over-graded?

Absolutely not. There are many coins that are certified accurately for their grade. Unfortunately, it is an inescapable reality that many are at the lower end of the quality range for the assigned grade. CAC’s rejection of a coin does not necessarily mean that CAC believes the coin has been over-graded. It simply means that there are other coins with CAC stickers that are of higher quality for the grade. CAC will eventually reject tens of thousands of accurately graded coins. Many of these rejected coins will be acceptable to numerous dealers and collectors and will continue to be available in the marketplace. For quality-conscious collectors and dealers, a coin with a CAC sticker will have significant meaning.

I think that’s a fair point. What about CAC Grading co. labeling problem-free MS65 “C coins” as “65-“, then?
    That would still fairly recognize the coins as straight-grade 65’s, but at the same time, distinguish them from “B coins” and “A coins” that CAC has been stickering. I’m sure many market participants would object, but that will be the case with any decision that’s made, regardless of how reasonable it is.
  • Love what I’m hearing here JA!