A CRIME, GREED, OR NO ONE CARES — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

A CRIME, GREED, OR NO ONE CARES

I LOVE matched original Proof sets Not put together sets). The thought of the coins remaining together for so long I think is magical and is so historic. I consider these proof sets the last frontier of numismatics.

In my eyes, it is a crime to break up a set to sell it. Most sets have less then 10 known (in all grades) each going all the back to the early 1860's.

I'd love to hear opinions on this subject. Am I wrong in my thinking here?

Comments

• edited October 2022
    While I’d very much prefer that such sets be kept intact, and they’re among my favorite areas in numismatics, breaking them up is far from a crime.

It’s probably greed in many cases and a lot of people don’t care as much as we do.
  • I think there should be a mandatory jail sentence for this. It’s a crime. 
  • edited October 2022
    Yeah, I'd consider it a crime too. You just don't see these coins nearly ever anymore. The history is worth more than the money.

Personally, taking a set in original packaging (envelope from the mint) and sending it to grade is just as bad.
  • I know of a set that is being broken up where its history traces back to the Mint! To me, it is disgusting. As JA said-JAIL TIME!!!!!!!
  • The punishment should be the seller must grade and encapsulate all the proof modern clad coins Wondercoin owns.
    He or she must do so in a dank dungeon by candlelight. Oatmeal is served on breaks, and there is a cot for sleeping
    purposes tucked away in the corner of the room.
    Oh, and Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start The Fire" is playing on repeat throughout the day and night.
  • braddick said:

The punishment should be the seller must grade and encapsulate all the proof modern clad coins Wondercoin owns.
    He or she must do so in a dank dungeon by candlelight. Oatmeal is served on breaks, and there is a cot for sleeping
    purposes tucked away in the corner of the room.
    Oh, and Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start The Fire" is playing on repeat throughout the day and night.

That would be cruel and unusual punishment.😬
  • Agreed. Agreed. Agreed.
    Laura, both you and I have discussed our passion for original Proof Sets. They are the "last frontier" in numismatics. They are so exciting. I can remember as a kid in the 1980's, so many of the sets being around. Great collections had 1858 to 1915 Proof Sets almost as an afterthought.

Its is a shame that someone would actually break up a set. Shocking. Such a sin.

What's your personal favorite original proof set that you've seen?
  • We bought a run 1856-1859. All were GEM. They all were from the same family that got them from the Mint. OMG they were incredible. One is out there being broken up now. Such a crime in my opinion. Pure greed.
  • I agree it is not right. They are destroying a piece of history that should stay intact!
  • Legend said:

We bought a run 1856-1859. All were GEM. They all were from the same family that got them from the Mint. OMG they were incredible. One is out there being broken up now. Such a crime in my opinion. Pure greed.

Laura, just out of curiosity, what are you considering an original set here?

One that has all of the coins together in the same sealed envelope from the mint and/or one that simply has the same coins from the set that left the mint (holders may have been switched, no original packaging in sight).

To me, the former would be a truly original set. To even grade that set and put it in holders is an atrocity. The latter, maybe not so original but to break it up is just horrendous.
  • I have a 1954 box unopened proof set and I constantly agonize whether I should open it or not. It’s certainly not from the 1800’s but there probably isn’t many unopened sets even from the 1950’s left. I have considered opening to celebrate the day that I complete my type set!
  • LarryC said:

I have a 1954 box unopened proof set and I constantly agonize whether I should open it or not. It’s certainly not from the 1800’s but there probably isn’t many unopened sets even from the 1950’s left. I have considered opening to celebrate the day that I complete my type set!

Why not open the box and enjoy the coins?
  • Not a crime but a shame that it gets broken up. But such is how most things end up over time.
  • Not surprising at all. I think more than ever people see coins less as history and more as things to be day traded.
  • In general should original sets bring premiums?

What if an original set are not gem but choice. 
    Still original.

Should the set bring a premium ?
  • Simpson/Sebastian? Only a few hours are left, but if you have the funds you could still try to keep it together.
  • Bidask said:

In general should original sets bring premiums?

What if an original set are not gem but choice. 
    Still original.

Should the set bring a premium ?
    I’m generalizing here, but if an original set exhibits matched toning on the silver coins, I think it’s likely to bring a noticeable premium. If, on the other hand, it doesn’t, I believe it still has a good chance to obtain a premium, but to a lesser degree. Maybe Laura will offer her views.
  • Hi Laura, I am very happy to own the 1858 Proof Set that you mentioned earlier. I would never break up this set. I know the 1856 was broken up and I think the 1857 is at auction now.
  • edited October 2022
    mod edit: This post was removed for violating rule 1.
  • Crime? No, not at all.

Greed? Sure, everyone makes their own business decisions.

No one cares? Meh, within the chain of ownership folks care until they don't and then it's about the money.

It would be nice if such sets stayed together, but I feel no pang of regret by having them split up and sold as singles. Similarly, I don't care that coin sets from original commem holders have been set free and sold, US double mint sets from the 1940s and 1950s have been absolutely pillaged for nice coins and broken up or presentation cases like the purple velvet Pan-Pac pieces all have new homes.
This discussion has been closed.