CAC restickers — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

CAC restickers

How do you go about getting the CAC stickers back on crossovers that crossed at the same grade or a plus and reholders?  They were all originally stickered prior to the crossover and reholder.  Please advise.  Thank you.

Comments

• edited October 2022
    I can’t speak for CAC, but being it’s a Sunday morning, I’ll share my answer, and if I’m wrong, later on I can be corrected.

1. A crossover will have a different cert number, so that new coin is not eligible for the Resticker service at $5 per coin (without having to “requalify”). However, when you send it in to qualify for a CAC sticker, include a letter with a paper trail (and possibly photos) to show it’s the same coin that previously had the sticker. Assuming there are no remnants of “handling” of the raw coin during the crossover process, chances are high that with that documentation, you will get a new sticker.
    2. If you got a “+” via Regrade, it has a new cert number, so follow the procedure above. However, if you do as I sometimes do, and submit to the PCGS via Reconsideration, the cert number should remain the same, and if the upgrade was just a plus in same whole grade number, then that coin qualifies for their Resticker service. That choice is on the CAC submission form, at $5 per coin, and should be automatic, without the coin having to qualify again.
    3. Even though CAC is presently not accepting new submissions under the $16 tier, they ARE presently accepting submissions for “Restickers”, but this does NOT include coins with new cert numbers described above.

Good luck!

Steve
  • when @Winesteven mentions "handling" in the response to the op here .. i would like to empasize that any changes to the coin should (or must) be accounted for .. both wittingly and unwittingly as well as both unintentionally and intentionally
  • I fully agree! Thanks.

Steve
  • Glo6868 said:

How do you go about getting the CAC stickers back on crossovers that crossed at the same grade or a plus and reholders?  They were all originally stickered prior to the crossover and reholder.  Please advise.  Thank you.

The easiest way to do it is to include photos of the coin in its original slab. I have done it many times with 100% success. But for crossovers, you cannot use the $5 re-sticker service; you will need to pay the full tier price. For re-holders/regrades by the same service, the $5 re-sticker service will apply unless you changed the serial number.
  • CACfan said:
    The easiest way to do it is to include photos of the coin in its original slab. I have done it many times with 100% success. But for crossovers, you cannot use the $5 re-sticker service; you will need to pay the full tier price. For re-holders/regrades by the same service, the $5 re-sticker service will apply unless you changed the serial number.
    please note that all “photos” are not created equally .. so ymmv

• CACfan said:

Glo6868 said:

please note that all “photos” are not created equally .. so ymmv

CAC has accepted all of my photos.
  • Thank you everyone for your responses.  
  • I recently had a 64+ restickered. The certification number was unchanged and with the submission form I included a note that the coin was previously stickered as a 64. I didn’t have any pictures. The coin was restickered and I was charged $5.
    Very easy.
  • skier07 said:

I recently had a 64+ restickered. The certification number was unchanged and with the submission form I included a note that the coin was previously stickered as a 64. I didn’t have any pictures. The coin was restickered and I was charged $5.
    Very easy.

You should always have PCGS change the serial number if there is a low price record at pcgs.com.
  • CACfan said:

skier07 said:

I recently had a 64+ restickered. The certification number was unchanged and with the submission form I included a note that the coin was previously stickered as a 64. I didn’t have any pictures. The coin was restickered and I was charged $5.
    Very easy.

You should always have PCGS change the serial number if there is a low price record at pcgs.com.
    While I have not done this in order to make getting the CAC sticker reapplied automatically (I’ve always kept the same cert number), it makes sense. Thanks.
  • What about coins that were reholdered and attributed? I just had an MS66 (formerly CAC) Walker attributed for a minor variety; is this eligible to resitcker?
  • What about coins that were reholdered and attributed? I just had an MS66 (formerly CAC) Walker attributed for a minor variety; is this eligible to resitcker?

Absolutely yes. CAC could not care less about the minor variety. My firm has a 100% CAC re-sticker rate even with minor varieties, of which I am a big fan by the way.
  • edited October 2022
    I have two minor variety coins at pcgs,  I need to send back to cac for a resticker, maybe in a few months I might have them back. Pcgs has had them since May. Hopefully this year I might be able to, if I receive them.