Kearny, NJ Post Office Delays - It's Not Personal, JA. - Page 3 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Kearny, NJ Post Office Delays - It's Not Personal, JA.

Comments

• Thanks for the info. It’s bizarre, the Bedminster post office refuses to service our account and the Far Hills post office , much smaller, appreciates us. 
  • FWIW, I've been following @CACfan 's "big box" shipping advice, and it appears to be working.

I use large flat-rate priority boxes (I recognize I need to get some generic boxes to save money) and registered shipping. My past three shipments to CAC have averaged 3-4 days (including weekends!) to travel across the country. I have been amazed at the speed.

On the return journey (which of course uses CAC's smaller boxes) the shipments are averaging at least a week. YMMV, of course.

This is not at all to suggest that CAC should use larger boxes for return shipping, as I agree with @CACfan about the logistical challenges involved. I even feel somewhat guilty shipping large boxes to CAC, because it must create some inconvenience on CAC's end. Above all, I am very grateful that CAC allows for registered mail as a return shipping option, as most dealers, auction houses, and PCGS are unwilling to do so except for extremely valuable coins.

• edited October 2022
    Good discussion. As a 40 year veteran of Distribution and Logistics operations, I can state there is usually a cost penalty for shipping larger cartons. We call this "Dim Weight" or volume weight. It used to be restricted to air freight shipments but has been adopted for ground shipments in recent years.

Carriers will use the outer dimensions of the package and divide it by a factor to determine the dimensional weight. They will use the higher of the actual weight or dimensional weight to calculate the charges. This is why they always weigh AND measure your packages at UPS and Fed Ex. Here is the USPS Dimensional Weight information:

While it's true there is no dimensional weight for Priority Mail flat rate cartons, there is obviously a higher cost to move from a small to a medium or large flat rate box.

Tim
  • bigtree said:

FWIW, I've been following @CACfan 's "big box" shipping advice, and it appears to be working.

I use large flat-rate priority boxes (I recognize I need to get some generic boxes to save money) and registered shipping. My past three shipments to CAC have averaged 3-4 days (including weekends!) to travel across the country. I have been amazed at the speed.

On the return journey (which of course uses CAC's smaller boxes) the shipments are averaging at least a week. YMMV, of course.

This is not at all to suggest that CAC should use larger boxes for return shipping, as I agree with @CACfan about the logistical challenges involved. I even feel somewhat guilty shipping large boxes to CAC, because it must create some inconvenience on CAC's end. Above all, I am very grateful that CAC allows for registered mail as a return shipping option, as most dealers, auction houses, and PCGS are unwilling to do so except for extremely valuable coins.

USPS's flat rate boxes are overpriced unless the contents are particularly heavy and must travel a great distance. Compare costs at "USPS Postage Calculator" for evidence thereof. It would be cheaper to buy large boxes, perhaps 24" X 16" X 12", from a retailer like Office Depot and pay the regular Priority Mail rate. The larger the box, the faster it will move.
  • Almost forgot to add, both my CAC returns arrived in San Francisco yesterday afternoon. After spending most of October in Kearny NJ they have traveled across the country in 24 hours:

Tim

• Almost forgot to add, both my CAC returns arrived in San Francisco yesterday afternoon. After spending most of October in Kearny NJ they have traveled across the country in 24 hours:

Tim

Congrats!
  • CACfan said:

bigtree said:

FWIW, I've been following @CACfan 's "big box" shipping advice, and it appears to be working.

USPS's flat rate boxes are overpriced unless the contents are particularly heavy and must travel a great distance. Compare costs at "USPS Postage Calculator" for evidence thereof. It would be cheaper to buy large boxes, perhaps 24" X 16" X 12", from a retailer like Office Depot and pay the regular Priority Mail rate. The larger the box, the faster it will move.
    @CACfan - using your example, I quoted a 24x16x12 carton weighing 5.5 pounds from my hometown to Far Hills, NJ. There is quite a penalty for dimensional weight:

Tim
  • CACfan said:

Almost forgot to add, both my CAC returns arrived in San Francisco yesterday afternoon. After spending most of October in Kearny NJ they have traveled across the country in 24 hours:

Tim

Congrats!
    Thanks! Will confirm it can make the "final mile" by Monday.

Tim
  • Glad to hear your package is moving, @pointfivezero . I know I was getting concerned with six days at Kearney a couple weeks ago. I’m guessing there’s no way to avoid Kearney for shipments to/fro CAC via USPS. Hopefully, Va Beach has a top-notch USPS local distribution facility!
  • CACfan said:

bigtree said:

@CACfan - using your example, I quoted a 24x16x12 carton weighing 5.5 pounds from my hometown to Far Hills, NJ. There is quite a penalty for dimensional weight:

Tim
    A 12 X 12 X 12 box would suffice for your purposes yet cost just $32.25 for Priority Mail. It costs me just $11.95 because my packages travel just 100 miles to CAC. But, in my experience, smaller boxes and envelopes have much longer transit times.

• PonyUp said:

Glad to hear your package is moving, @pointfivezero . I know I was getting concerned with six days at Kearney a couple weeks ago. I’m guessing there’s no way to avoid Kearney for shipments to/fro CAC via USPS. Hopefully, Va Beach has a top-notch USPS local distribution facility!

Thanks @PonyUp . Gratifying to know others have had a similar experience. Clearly, some issues to resolve at that Post Office.

Tim
  • Almost forgot to add, both my CAC returns arrived in San Francisco yesterday afternoon. After spending most of October in Kearny NJ they have traveled across the country in 24 hours: Tim
    Crazy service in Kearney. I bet you will be relieved to receive your packages. Wow!
  • This morning, I received the three sweetest words in any USPS update on both packages:

"Out for Delivery"

Thanks to all for the moral support and empathy!

Tim
  • This morning, I received the three sweetest words in any USPS update on both packages:

"Out for Delivery"

Thanks to all for the moral support and empathy!

Tim

Congratulations but you never need to worry about ultra-safe Registered Mail. The extra security is definitely worth the additional few days of waiting.
  • And the saga is finally complete. Just received the two CAC returns. Nine of the thirteen and eight of the eleven day transit times were spent sitting in the Kearny NJ Post Office:

In case one was wondering what all the fuss was about...here are the two coins:

Tim
  • The next time, ask CAC to use 12 X 12 X 12 boxes, the largest allowed before surcharges get ridiculous, especially for long distances. And merely use First Class (if the weight warrants it) because Priority does not go any faster for Registered Mail.
  • CACfan said:

The next time, ask CAC to use 12 X 12 X 12 boxes, the largest allowed before surcharges get ridiculous, especially for long distances. And merely use First Class (if the weight warrants it) because Priority does not go any faster for Registered Mail.

Good advice, I hope @JACAC and the @CAC_Team is listening...

Tim
  • edited October 2022
    I'm glad yours finally made it. My return package just arrived in Kearny last night. I hope it doesn't have a travel agent that booked it for a weeks stay. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Fantastic results on that 1.2 Rattler!! I'll trade you a TCGS 65 for your PCGS 63. ;)

• The "Expected Delivery" date is meaningless for Registered Mail, which travels on the back of a dead snail unless you use my tricks to speed it up (see my prior posts).
  • CACfan said:

The "Expected Delivery" date is meaningless for Registered Mail, which travels on the back of a dead snail unless you use my tricks to speed it up (see my prior posts).

Oh believe me, I treat the "Expected Delivery by" date for Registered as if it were a wish a kid made blowing out the candles on their birthday cake. In fact, I would be surprised and happy if it made it out of Kearny by Friday the 28th.