Kearny, NJ Post Office Delays - It's Not Personal, JA. - Page 5 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Kearny, NJ Post Office Delays - It's Not Personal, JA.

Comments

• jtlee321 said:

The saga continues. USPS managed to load my package on the wrong truck and send it to the other side of the state to Spokane and now it's back in Seattle. I was hoping it was going to be delivered today. Oh well, maybe by Friday.

Oh man, Justin.  If it wasn’t for bad luck, you wouldn’t have any luck at all.  Sorry to learn of the latest delay.

Tim

No worries, it just updated and has arrived in Portland. It hopefully should be delivered tomorrow. LOL
  • Bedminster hasn’t changed their position on serving our needs. We’ve called several times and I have a feeling they have caller ID as they don’t even answer the phone !  Maybe I should stop paying my taxes ?? JA 
  • JACAC said:

Bedminster hasn’t changed their position on serving our needs. We’ve called several times and I have a feeling they have caller ID as they don’t even answer the phone !  Maybe I should stop paying my taxes ?? JA 

It's frustrating for sure. I think the best thing we could do is reach out to our Representative in Congress and push a complaint through. It may need to be made to the Representative of the district that Kearny and Bedminster reside in. If they are flooded with complaints, maybe something will be done.
  • JACAC said:

Bedminster hasn’t changed their position on serving our needs. We’ve called several times and I have a feeling they have caller ID as they don’t even answer the phone !  Maybe I should stop paying my taxes ?? JA 

I just read about a complaint made to a Congressman and Senator in a nearby big city that resulted in an investigation at one of its post offices. Maybe you should file a complaint with your U.S. Senator and Congressman? I will PM you the link upon request.
  • JACAC said:

At the rate the IRS is responding to overdue returns right now I had the same thought. Been waiting nearly two years for a refund for overpaid estimated taxes as a beneficiary. Have heard other horror stories similar on basic personal tax return delays. Forget even trying to contact them. Finally called a state advocate who was somewhat helpful and opened up a case which is moving along at negative light speed if there is such a thing. I personally never get a refund by design, but I'm at the point of not sending in anything estimated or otherwise and just spend it on coins and deal with the penalty later, which is usually not too bad and can be offset with good investment decisions.
  • Well the package arrived today!! Yay!! The box is a Medium Flat Rate that is 12" x 14" x 3.5", not small but not huge either. Should have been big enough to be a bit of a thorn in the side of the Postal Employees.
  • jtlee321 said:
    Well the package arrived today!! Yay!! The box is a Medium Flat Rate that is 12" x 14" x 3.5", not small but not huge either. Should have been big enough to be a bit of a thorn in the side of the Postal Employees.
    Great news, Justin.  Nothing quite matches the feeling of receiving the well packed boxes from CAC.  I hope the results were worth the wait.

Tim
  • I am going to risk tomato assaults (again), by admitting 2 things about me, prior to commenting:

I) In addition to being a lifelong numismatic hobbyist, I am a lifelong Stamp Collector and have had the privilege in the past of volunteering for the Citizens Stamp Advisory Committee.

2) Since my mid teens, I have been an enthusiastic reader of the Congressional Record.

I will try not to be boring. the USPS woes in the mentioned NJ facilities have been ongoing since 2018.

It does not help to deny members of Congress access to facilities.

Condemned buildings as a result of Ida don't help.

Federal agencies causing disruption and intimidation for USPS employees at the mentioned facilities, particularly Bedminster, does not help.

There have been 13 congressional hearings concerning the NJ USPS operations, and 2 of the facilities mentioned so far have been particularly the subject of the 2020/21 hearings.

So? There was finally (supposedly) a culmination of the complaints/hearings/blahblah reaching a crescendo that caused an Audit Demand by the Office of Operations for Kearney, Bedminster, Belleville, Union, and NY Metro Logistics Operations, among other feeder locations not a subject of complaints. There was a LOT of stone throwing.

And: This continuing investigation triggered a Bill-The Postal Reform Act, which passed the House in Feb. 2022, and the Senate in March 2022. POTUS signed it into Law April 2022.

And: The specifically mentioned facilities will receive a $16 Billion piece of pie, for everything from construction renovation to fleet operations improvement, significant transportation vehicle increase (found to be only 27% of similar size hubs in the U.S.) and a targeted increase in hiring, with a
    concentration of same for drivers and clerks.

The bad news:

A) The implementation Plan does not begin (we all know what that means) until Feb. 2023, and a final management response action plan is not due until Aug. 2023.

B) The responsible official for the entire process is:
    New York Metro Division Directors, Logistics/Processing/Implementation and Strategy/Operations Support/Maintenance Operations /and lastly, Field Human Resources (yep, this is going to work out fine).

Show of hands from all the NJ USPS users that knew your fate and service is entirely controlled by USPS NY.

Meanwhile, certain Federal agencies can not leave well enough alone, and in the last 5 months, Bedminster operations have been a war zone of inspections, seizures, reviews, etc., to a point that an entire satellite facility of Bellevue should immediately be built next door, to service depression.

The real shame of all this? The congressional investigations and hearings have been ongoing since 2018 (and 2 are STILL active), the Law was signed by POTUS in April 2022, and the Inspector General Report was finally released in Oct. 2022.

And the fellow members here that are USPS users in the named facilities wonder what is the problem?

I could add a lot more info, but then it would be yawning time.

In closing, that complain to your local congress person things/ Bets you complain to Metro NY USPS Headquarters. they are the kahunas in this fiasco.

I'm done. Will I still be able to be a member here, now?
  • My CAC orders always seem to languish in Jamaica, New York. Sometimes a week or more.
    Good luck
  • 3 entire bags of Express Mail missing at Kearny this week!! 
  • JACAC said:
    3 entire bags of Express Mail missing at Kearny this week!! 
    Wow! I hope that there were no coins heading to or from CAC!
  • I hate to say but an amazing Black Holdered Original 1901 proof set was in one of the packages!  Not a joke. JA 
  • Oh, no! That really stinks! They had better find it!
  • @john - thanks for the detailed information on the NJ postal operations. Assuming you are still a member here as we are not inclined to kill the messenger.

@JACAC - thanks for the "not" shocking news on the missing Express Mail bags in Kearny. Any new updates from your posting on the 10th?

Tim
  • JACAC said:

I hate to say but an amazing Black Holdered Original 1901 proof set was in one of the packages!  Not a joke. JA 

That really turns my stomach.

It just feels that there is something nefarious going on at the Kearny PO for 3 bags of Express Mail to disappear.
  • @john - thanks for the detailed information on the NJ postal operations. Assuming you are still a member here as we are not inclined to kill the messenger.

@JACAC - thanks for the "not" shocking news on the missing Express Mail bags in Kearny. Any new updates from your posting on the 10th?

Tim

I appreciate your courteous reply.

If there is any recovery back to normal, it will have to be a concentrated effort by the PG to separate the NY Operations from control of the NJ Operations. It is a very wide chasm, and can not be solved for the foreseeable future, given the lack of enthusiasm by the present Federal governing structure to do so. A fortune in $ is being touted as a solution.

Well......my opinion is prepare for more "lost" packages, exasperating delivery times, lack of spirit and mission completion attitude by the individuals charged with same, for the simple reason that management has been a disaster and is incapable of correcting the road hazards that continue to blow out the tires.
  • Most of the aforementioned delays/thefts could have been mitigated or even eliminated by the use of extremely safe Registered Mail and a large box, at least 12 X 12 X 12 or even larger if the destination is not too far (check USPS's postage calculator for rates).

The larger the box, the sooner the delivery in my experience. But once you get to 12 X 12 X 12, the principle of diminishing returns applies on steroids. And any dimension above 12 inches can greatly inflate postage charges if a long distance is involved.

One-day Express Mail is a joke in my neck of the woods. Delivery almost always takes at least two to three days. One parcel recently took a week to travel 30 miles. Also, JA noted recent thefts of Express Mail shipments, so safety is a major issue.

Ironically, our Registered 12 X 12 X 12 box recently got to CAC in 16 hours. It had to travel nearly 100 miles through heavily congested traffic (it is always rush hour here). The longest recent transit time has been two days, or three if you count Sunday.
  • That 1901 proof set must have been worth a pretty penny. I would think it should have been in a registered package.
  • In case any of us wondered if JA was being personally targeted by the "Kearny Experience", I have a new shipping issue there which is completely unrelated to CAC. I purchased a very unique NGC Sample Slab on ebay last week and as luck would have it, it is transiting (and I use the term loosely) the lovely Kearny facility.

Day 4 with no movement:

Tim