Suggestions for CAC 2.0 (Insert Your Ideas Below) — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Suggestions for CAC 2.0 (Insert Your Ideas Below)

1. Different designer slabs, given that many people are more interested in holders than the coins contained therein.
2. Solid slab colors, esp. black, blue, red, green, and gold, depending on which color best enhances a given coin.
3. Celebrity autographs on slab inserts, such as those of collectors like Wayne Gretzky and Ed Sheeran. Way to boost public interest!
4. CAC 2.0 trading platform.
5. Variety and error attribution.
6. Realistic photography (for an extra fee, of course).
7. Conservation service.
8. Certify paper money.
9. Dealer awards for best CAC 2.0 ads and anything else CAC 2.0 related.
10. Separate obverse and reverse grades, and a total grade.
11. Detailed grading assessment for an extra fee.
12. CAC reps/ambassadors throughout the country.
13. Charge high certification fees to discourage submissions of inexpensive coins and drastically reduce the workload. As much as I like rare coins, I do not want to spend every waking second with them.
14. Hold CAC conventions.
15. Most important: Use the same teddy bear stamp used by CAC 1.0.

Comments

• #10 and #15 would be terrific!
  • More ideas:
    1. Note the date of certification on the slab insert.
    2. Please accept credit cards. Writing checks is tedious.
    3. Have strict standards for authorized dealers and collector members, such as no convicted felons allowed.
    4. Dispute board.
  • I predicted the future on March 9 yet was ridiculed for it:

• edited October 2022
    Great ideas @CACfan! My quick list:

* CAC logo / embedded sticker in the actual label (branding branding branding)
    * Early-adopter/dealer incentives to cross PCGS/NGC coins in the first few months. I'll send every single one I have for Crossover if the price is right, even before the market has proven things.
    * On-site grading at major shows (I know these are still early days, but this is a wishlist after all)
    * Tiered pricing - "evaluation fee" vs "encapsulation fee". I find it borderline criminal that PCGS/NGC charge a full price for DNC'd crossovers and don't even give a reason. $50, "sorry Did Not Cross", end of story. I'd much prefer a tiered pricing - say - $30 evaluation fee, $20 encapsulation fee. If it crosses? $50. If not, pay less.
    * To build on previous, the evaluation fee should get you an evaluation! If a coin Details-grades or DNCs, a short description as to why. "We believe this is a 64, you had a minimum grade of 65", or "PVC", etc.
    * NO conservation service. That feels like the antithesis of CAC.
  • You said: "NO conservation service. That feels like the antithesis of CAC."

MY REPLY: CAC already beans conserved coins. For instance, every shipwreck coin with a CAC sticker has been played with albeit with innocuous compounds and procedures. And I have seen tons of dipped Mercury dimes and Walking halves with green beans. CAC might as well do the conservation themselves because they continuously set the standards and raise the bar.

• CACfan said:

MY REPLY: CAC already beans conserved coins. For instance, every shipwreck coin with a CAC sticker has been played with albeit with innocuous compounds and procedures. And I have seen tons of dipped Mercury dimes and Walking halves with green beans. CAC might as well do the conservation themselves because they continuously set the standards and raise the bar.

Good point!

• Forget the CAC Auction co-I'll shoot them first!!!! :-)
  • If profit is low on the priorities, why not just make it a non-profit organization? My other idea is to have some sort of high quality scan of every coin over a certain value or significance, so that if the coin comes back cracked out it'll ensure that it's recognized and graded the same (assuming no change to it). Also two holder sizes would be nice, a smaller one for small coins, and then the normal one for the larger coins.
  • If profit is low on the priorities, why not just make it a non-profit organization? My other idea is to have some sort of high quality scan of every coin over a certain value or significance, so that if the coin comes back cracked out it'll ensure that it's recognized and graded the same (assuming no change to it). Also two holder sizes would be nice, a smaller one for small coins, and then the normal one for the larger coins.
    the “some sort of high quality scan” is (or should be) a high priority .. near the top of priorities

however, i believe it’s actually more than your description of your idea for “it’s recognized”

thank you so much!
  • Legend said:

Forget the CAC Auction co-I'll shoot them first!!!! :-)

:D :D :D
  • A Holder With No Prongs would be great, Maybe Styled After The Old Green Holder 
  • edited October 2022
    Stevie said:

A Holder With No Prongs would be great, Maybe Styled After The Old Green Holder 

Maybe crystal clear, see-through prongs? You never know what is obscured on the edges, like the heavy corrosion that lurks on some PR69 1990 No S pennies. How the heck does PCGS grade them PR69?
  • Legend said:

Forget the CAC Auction co-I'll shoot them first!!!! :-)

It would be a battle for the billionaire clients.
    Who would win?

"Nonprofit"? There needs to be some incentive to run a grading service in a free market. It is not as if JA and his posse will be making a windfall from CAC 2.0. PCGS, NGC, ANACS, and ICG earn most of their profit from slabbing modern stuff, which CAC 2.0 will never accept. JA, et all deserve at least a few crumbs from certifying the vintage coins they will accept.
  • FREE crossovers for $1 million-plus coins. The publicity will offset the waived fees many times over.
  • Regarding the holder with prong issue, I recently bought a Compugrade slab for my Obscure Gading Company set I’m putting together and I have to say that the optics quality of that holder are impressive. You can see the edge of the coin to some degree fairly well. If that could be replicated with a slight magnification ring, the edge of every coin could be clearly visible around most of the coin! 
  • LarryC said:

Regarding the holder with prong issue, I recently bought a Compugrade slab for my Obscure Gading Company set I’m putting together and I have to say that the optics quality of that holder are impressive. You can see the edge of the coin to some degree fairly well. If that could be replicated with a slight magnification ring, the edge of every coin could be clearly visible around most of the coin! 

The magnification ring is a great idea. Maybe CAC 2.0 could use crystal clear prongs that magnify.
  • I loved those Compugrade slabs.