Gold CAC 63 or Green CAC 65 or 66?? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Gold CAC 63 or Green CAC 65 or 66??

I know this question is completely subjective and will differ by coin series and collector taste, but I’m hoping if enough people voice their opinion we will see a consensus (or not)

I own about 75 cAc coins of which 15 are gold cAc. I’ve bought and sold another probably 30 or 40 cAc coins, most all of them in early commems series.

From an enjoyment, eye appeal and technical grade perspective hands down the 63 Gold CAc coins are a much better purchase for me than a duplicate coin graded green cAc 65 or even 66.

My opinion on this topic is so strong , I actually think CAC could justifiably introduce another colored sticker that has a meaning of at least 2 grades under graded. (Maybe gold bean with a fire 🔥 symbol within the bean?)

I’m curios of others opinions and experiences, gold cAc 63 or green cAc 65/66??

Comments

• When I got my hankering for a proof gold coin, my criteria was absence of hairlines.

I found the "minimal hairlines" but.... it has a gouge in the reverse. Frankly, the gouge doesn't bother me as much as hairlines would.

Looking at the gouge mystifies me. The lack of surrounding disturbance leads me to wonder HOW it could happen.

One magnificent HIT? With minimal hairlines from handling? Dunno.

Point being, I like this 63 even better than a higher grade with hairlines.

So there! 😉

The TrueView even shows a lack of hairlines.

• edited December 2021

Looks like a handling mark that someone mistakenly tried to wipe off but what a great compromise grade/condition/price that faces up much like a gem

• I believe it strongly depends on the type of coin that has the Gold CAC sticker. I have quite a few of them and it varies quite a lot on coins that have intricate detail on them as opposed to those that do not. I agree with you that often times the lower Gold CAC coins can grade 2 points or more. Does this create a problem for the Gold CAC coins that are graded MS65 and above?

• I love gold CACs, but I’m taking a 65 Green CAC over a 63 Gold CAC almost every time.
  • edited December 2021
    Like @acspatriot13, assuming the eye appeal of the 65 or 66 is nice (and we know that having the CAC they are solid for the grade) I would also go with the appealing 65 or 66 coins with the green CAC. Why not? Chances are the 63 with the gold CAC is valued/priced as a “potential” 65, so where’s the disadvantage of owning the solid, eye appealing 65 or 66 with the green CAC?

I think a tougher question, with a different outcome, is a choice between a 63 gold CAC or a 64 green CAC. In that scenario I’d go with the 63 gold CAC.
  • Like @acspatriot13, assuming the eye appeal of the 65 or 66 is nice (and we know that having the CAC they are solid for the grade) I would also go with the appealing 65 or 66 coins with the green CAC. Why not? Chances are the 63 with the gold CAC is valued/priced as a “potential” 65, so where’s the disadvantage of owning the solid, eye appealing 65 or 66 with the green CAC?

I think a tougher question, with a different outcome, is a choice between a 63 gold CAC or a 64 green CAC. In that scenario I’d go with the 63 gold CAC.
    My personal feeling is we own coins that we feel maybe deserved a gold sticker. But CAC won’t give out the gold unless it’s close to 2 grades higher. So my thinking is to try for the next grade at PCGS and if you get it go for the green. So an amazing ms 64 with a green but no gold might recertify ms 65 than obtain a green 
  • As a general rule, I'd take a 65 or 66 green bean over a 63 gold bean assuming the price was identical. But the caveat will be what the coin actually looks like in hand. I've seen some CAC 65s where there was a mark in a place I just couldn't forgive and some 63s where the marks were in less noticeable places.
  • edited January 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Pyrite said:

When I got my hankering for a proof gold coin, my criteria was absence of hairlines.

I found the "minimal hairlines" but.... it has a gouge in the reverse. Frankly, the gouge doesn't bother me as much as hairlines would.

So there! 😉

The TrueView even show a lack of hairllines. 

NEVER use an untrueview as a grading tool. NEVER. 

They don't show a lack of hairlines. They are glamor shots intended to both amplify positives and obscure defects.
    I don’t like forum commentators who use true view photos as they are as you say glamorous shots. Please use the coin in the holder so we can judge the real look of the coin when making points and judgments
  • I also dislike True View for any analysis.  
    I only included it here for a "different" image.
    In this particular case, my own photo and the dealer images show a better capture of the "in hand" appearance than the TV.
  • Stevie said:
    Pyrite said:

When I got my hankering for a proof gold coin, my criteria was absence of hairlines.

So there! 😉

The TrueView even show a lack of hairllines. 

NEVER use an untrueview as a grading tool. NEVER. 

They don't show a lack of hairlines. They are glamor shots intended to both amplify positives and obscure defects.
    I don’t like forum commentators who use true view photos as they are as you say glamorous shots. Please use the coin in the holder so we can judge the real look of the coin when making points and judgments
    TrueView or otherwise, unless hairlines on a Proof coin are quite conspicuous, images rarely show the extent of them, if they show the hairlines, at all.
  • TrueView...... The modern answer to baldness.
     :p