'C' Coin Discussion — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

'C' Coin Discussion

edited October 2022 in General
Hello all- I'm opening this thread to redirect some of the more specific discussion on this subject in the FAQ thread as that was meant to stay more general in scope so that we could field some general questions regarding the opening of CAC Grading. The discussion is lively and thought-provoking and many are sharing a great deal of their experience, expertise and knowledge to the point where I believe the discussion should be centralized and more delineated so others can learn from it. I encourage anyone who hasn't already done so to check out the thread.

With that said, explain like I'm 5: what is a C coin, why do C coins pose a problem for numismatics and what are some potential ways to alleviate these problems?
Tagged:

Comments

• I should explain what a C coin is to the man who defined it?…like he’s 5?😂
    OK, I’ll bite: A “C” coin is a coin that doesn’t meet CAC strict standards for a green bean. A subset of these are accurately graded, but not quite good enough (less than 65.4 for an MS-65). Those are the coins in question. I think everyone understands that doctored junk in holders need to be in details holders. It’s those just-missed coins that are the dilemma. I feel that those coins should be separated from the beaned population but kicking them to a full lower grade may not be the best answer…and maybe I’m wrong…time for a cookie break😉
  • edited October 2022
    Here's my proposal. I'm focused on problem-free "C" coins. "C" coins with problems should go into details holders. This can be solved with a slight grade deflation, making CAC grading stricter. Split coin grading for a specific grade into only "A" and "B" coins.

CAC 65 will include coins that are 65.4 through 65.8 by today's grading standards

CAC 65+ will include coins that are 65.9 through 66.3 by today's grading standards

This means a coin has to be extremely strong for the grade to get a plus. And if it's just solid for the grade, it doesn't get a plus. Initially there will be much fewer pluses than non-pluses, because people will not want to lose value by crossing a PCGS 65 to a CAC 64+. But over time, I predict that value of CAC+ coin will be rise to equal or surpass a non-CAC PCGS coin at the next grade up. This would lead to more people down crossing PCGS coins into CAC holders leading to more plus coins.

CAC will be seen as a stricter grading service and will keep grade inflation in check. And there will be less hair splitting of grades. Coin is either solid for the grade or strong for the grade.
  • Here's my proposal. I'm focused on problem-free "C" coins. "C" coins with problems should go into details holders. This can be solved with a slight grade deflation, making CAC grading stricter. Split coin grading for a specific grade into only "A" and "B" coins.

CAC 65 will include coins that are 65.4 through 65.8 by today's grading standards

CAC 65+ will include coins that are 65.9 through 66.3 by today's grading standards

This means a coin has to be extremely strong for the grade to get a plus. And if it's just solid for the grade, it doesn't get a plus. Initially there will be much fewer pluses than non-pluses, because people will not want to lose value by crossing a PCGS 65 to a CAC 64+. But over time, I predict that value of CAC+ coin will be rise to equal or surpass a non-CAC PCGS coin at the next grade up. This would lead to more people down crossing PCGS coins into CAC holders leading to more plus coins.

CAC will be seen as a stricter grading service and will keep grade inflation in check. And there will be less hair splitting of grades. Coin is either solid for the grade or strong for the grade.
    you must help me understand the definition of "problem-free" so it's not a big secret why some accurately / correctly graded coins (and not in "details" holders) by either pcgs or ngc do not get stickered
  • .. let's start by considering your saint set so it's easy for you to describe

if a saint doesn't have the "right color" for a sticker, then can it still be a "problem-free" coin?
  • I'll bite, but I'm going to describe it the way I would describe it to another numismatist, not a five-year old.

In my opinion and experience, a C coin is (or should be) in the lower third of the grade window for any given grade. This should be true regardless of if the coin is a PR68, an MS64 or an EF40. A C coin might be too deeply toned, might have too much chatter in primary focal areas, might have muted luster, might be somewhat oddly stained or might have any number of other perceived flaws. However, it should otherwise easily meet the grade assigned and the perceived flaws should not be enough to consign the coin to a lower grade or to preclude a problem-free grade.

In my experience, C coins pose a problem in a number of ways. To begin with, C coins drag down auction data analysis and, thus, the value that any given coin in any given grade might be assumed to have based upon auction data. This might not appear to be important, but in the last two decades we have seen an explosion of information available to anyone with an internet connection and this data, while valuable, is often not accompanied by quality photography or by descriptions as to the worthiness of a coin within its grade window. As someone with experience as a dealer, this leads to folks assuming I am gouging for coins when I list something nice (which, when I list something, is always the case) because they are looking at data that is skewed toward the lowest common denominator. Additionally, this can cut both ways in that collectors who go to sell their coins can have the same cherry-picked data analysis affect the offers that they receive for truly nice pieces.

Also, C coins cause gradeflation, in my opinion. This might not be a popular opinion, but my experience suggests that most collectors don't know how to grade very well. Note that I used the term "don't" instead of "can't" in the previous sentence because most folks can likely be taught how to grade properly, but they either have little inclination to learn or they won't dedicate the resources to learning. When folks are acclimated to buying, seeing and being offered C coins all the time they then expect the assigned grade of a C coin to represent the median or normalized grade, which by definition of a C coin it is not. Over time, this can allow grading companies to soften standards and allow coins to slip up in grade because the greater market is already expecting lower quality coins to be in higher graded holders. Aside from the earliest grading recalibration efforts of the two major TPGs, this might be why we have seen periods of less stability and more upward buoyancy in grades.

Lastly, and I am certain this isn't truly lastly, but it is the last thing I can think of at the moment, how to we denote or identify C coins? I don't agree with the idea that a C coin should automatically be placed in a lower graded holder. After all, a C coin MS65 Morgan dollar that has impaired luster from repeated dipping, but is overall rather clean is still a dog in an MS64 holder and the impaired luster would not make it an A coin in the MS64 holder, either. Truly, the grading scale as it stands today is more finely granulated than perhaps 99% of collectors can grasp, so the answer should not be to expand the numerical options. My opinion is that a C level MS65 coin should be certified as "MS65" and then any B or A level MS65 would have to have some sort of notation on the slab to indicate it is not a generic MS65 coin. The "+" and "*" designations are already in place at PCGS (+ only) and NGC (both + and *) so these appear to be out as options unless one wishes to confuse grading even further. That leaves something like using "A/B" as in "MS65 A/B" for A and B coins in order to identify them without actually giving each coin an A or B designation. I dislike the idea of minus "-" grading for C level coins as that would likely hurt the liquidity, desirability and value of such pieces further than simply calling them their base grade.

That's what I can think of for now, so please feel free to shoot down what I wrote.
  • Very nice TomB.

Interesting idea re C coins driving gradeflation
  • There seems to be an impression that if Cac doesn’t sticker a coin , it’s a C coin. This is an incorrect assumption. JA 
  • JACAC said:

There seems to be an impression that if Cac doesn’t sticker a coin , it’s a C coin. This is an incorrect assumption. JA 

Aha, meaning it could be more than one grade lower (D, E, F...) or that it should properly be in a details holder?
  • JACAC said:
    There seems to be an impression that if Cac doesn’t sticker a coin , it’s a C coin. This is an incorrect assumption. JA 
    I think you are talking about the fact that some are simply over graded. No doubt about that. Others have overly disturbed surfaces.
    The true C coins are those that meet the assigned grade, but not 65.4 or better (for an MS-65). What percentage are true C’s? I would venture a guess in the 20% arena.
    Also, thank you very much for personally addressing concerns and questions on here. Much appreciated!
  • edited October 2022
    The faq’s on our website- question #3. It seems that many have twisted this paragraph,mostly ATS , that All coins that don’t Cac are C coins. Far from the truth JA 

Q: If a coin doesn’t receive a CAC sticker, does this mean CAC believes the coin is over-graded?

A: Absolutely not. There are many coins that are certified accurately for their grade. Unfortunately, it is an inescapable reality that many are at the lower end of the quality range for the assigned grade. CAC’s rejection of a coin does not necessarily mean that CAC believes the coin has been over-graded. It simply means that there are other coins with CAC stickers that are of higher quality for the grade. CAC will eventually reject tens of thousands of accurately graded coins. Many of these rejected coins will be acceptable to numerous dealers and collectors and will continue to be available in the marketplace. For quality-conscious collectors and dealers, a coin with a CAC sticker will have significant meaning.

(mod edit: added reference. note- This is from CAC's FAQ as opposed to the CAC grading FAQ)

• edited October 2022
    How about C coins just get a different label?   Keep the status quo.  A/B coins get a green bean on the label.  C coins don't.  And not to stir the pot even more but this convention could also do away with plus grades.  Simplify.  

Edited to add: Today if a coin doesn't get a sticker you wonder - is there something wrong with it or is it just a "c" coin?  Well now we would know.  Problem coins go in detail holders, C coins get a grade, A/B get the familiar bean. 

• JACAC said:

The faq’s on our website- question #3. It seems that many have twisted this paragraph,mostly ATS , that All coins that don’t Cac are C coins. Far from the truth JA 

Q: If a coin doesn’t receive a CAC sticker, does this mean CAC believes the coin is over-graded?

A: Absolutely not. There are many coins that are certified accurately for their grade. Unfortunately, it is an inescapable reality that many are at the lower end of the quality range for the assigned grade. CAC’s rejection of a coin does not necessarily mean that CAC believes the coin has been over-graded. It simply means that there are other coins with CAC stickers that are of higher quality for the grade. CAC will eventually reject tens of thousands of accurately graded coins. Many of these rejected coins will be acceptable to numerous dealers and collectors and will continue to be available in the marketplace. For quality-conscious collectors and dealers, a coin with a CAC sticker will have significant meaning.

(mod edit: added reference. note- This is from CAC's FAQ as opposed to the CAC grading FAQ)

"CAC will eventually reject tens of thousands of accurately graded coins."
  • What @pedzola produced as an image is essentially what I was attempting to describe with how CAC can handle C coins. I had suggested marking such coins as "MS64A/B", but @pedzola took the logical step of having them marked "MS64CAC" with the sticker an integral part of the insert and printed on the label instead of affixed to the outer shell. This works.
  • It's very simple, a C coin is a coin that was once graded lower, often 10 years ago or more, but sometimes last month.
  • We’ve already rejected about 900,000 coins. Tens of thousands mentioned on our website. I have a feeling of what will be the next question and I’d have to say that I don’t know the answer. JA 
  •     I feel that if you are going to be a TPG and plan on holdering detailed coins and C coins, then you need to still show your cac approval to the the A and B coins. Instead of a sticker it can be shown inside the holder, very similar to the green bean. The C coin slabs should show no cac green bean. If a coin is overgraded either it should be put in a properly graded holder or not crossed over, according to the owners instructions.
        C coins would be recognized in this manner and we would be certain that coins slabbed by CACG are not overgraded and, or do not have any problems.
  • JACAC said:
    We’ve already rejected about 900,000 coins. Tens of thousands mentioned on our website. I have a feeling of what will be the next question and I’d have to say that I don’t know the answer. JA 
    during your interview with john feigenbaum you mentioned “i still feel like it’s the wrong thing to do” @12:17

why not simply “no grade” and use a “no grade code” on the new cac holder?
  • .. i recommend that cac continues to be “tough”
  • .. although i must totally admit that i am truly the last person here that should voice an opinion

thank you so much!
  • edited October 2022
    Let us be real. If CAC calls my MS65.3 "MS64+", I will send it to PCGS or NGC for its correct MS65 grade. And then maybe to one of the lesser sticker services for possible approval (I have found that ANY third party sticker increases sales appeal to collectors).

I am a huge fan of CAC stickers and their coming slabbing service. But they are not the only game in town.