1841 Liberty Eagle AU58 no-sticker — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

1841 Liberty Eagle AU58 no-sticker

Any thoughts on why this 1841 Liberty Eagle AU58 did not sticker? Is it a 58 "C coin" or a 55?

Comments

• I have never been a TPG grader but I suspect that the mark by the nose, scuffiness elsewhere, and/or possible lack of luster may be the culprit.

But you need to show the coin in person to an actual TPG grader. There must be a show in your area.
  • Update: I just ran the PCGS photos through software. The coin seems to have too many lines and scuffs for CAC approval, such as the scratch at the top of the obverse.
  • My guess is that the coin failed to sticker due to too much apparent rub on Liberty’s face, the right side of her neck and the hair above her ear, along with the various scratches on each side.
  • CACfan and MarkFeld:

Does that mean it's a 58 "C coin" and just not CAC worthy, or do you think it's actually a 55?
  • CACfan and MarkFeld:

Does that mean it's a 58 "C coin" and just not CAC worthy, or do you think it's actually a 55?

Sorry, I can’t answer that, as I don’t know for certain from the images whether the coin should grade 55 or 58. If 58, then the scratches might make it a “C” coin.
  • Any thoughts on why this 1841 Liberty Eagle AU58 did not sticker? Is it a 58 "C coin" or a 55?

p.s.- This is definitely a worthwhile coin even without a CAC sticker. Only 63,131 were minted and the AU58 population is just 11 with merely 10 finer, and some of those few may be duplications. These early $10 Libs in any grade always sell well for my firms. And C-list grading services would call this slider unc "MS64" or even finer. Many of Ebay's raw coin sellers would say "Superb Gem BU".
  • Thank you both for the feedback. I rarely buy non-CAC coins, but occasionally I see one I really like, and this was one of those. I was pretty sure it had already been to CAC but I sent it anyway along with some others just to make sure. No dice. I still like it though and it fits nicely in my budding Philly No-Motto Liberty Eagle set.
  • Sharpstrike- I’ll be happy to take a look if you’d like to send it in.  JA 
  • Thank you for the kind offer JA. I'm having a couple of coins reholdered that will require restickering, so I will plan on sending it in with them.
  • Maybe a third time in will be successful. Good luck.
  • Great, make sure to include your phone number on the invoice. JA 
  • Will do. Thanks JA.
  • It has been my experience that PCGS True View photos often make the coin look better than it is. On the surface, this coin looks better than many similarly graded coins from this era. If I were looking for a coin like this, and these 19th century $10 gold pieces are very tough, I'd consider this coin based upon the photograph.
  • BillJones said:

It has been my experience that PCGS True View photos often make the coin look better than it is. On the surface, this coin looks better than many similarly graded coins from this era. If I were looking for a coin like this, and these 19th century $10 gold pieces are very tough, I'd consider this coin based upon the photograph.

An ex-PCGS grader told me that TrueViews are supposed to make coins look as they do under a grader's lamp, which PCGS's website says is a 75 or 100 watt frosted, incandescent bulb.
  • One thing I really like about True View photos is that, whatever its flaws, at least it's a photo of the raw coin. That's hard to come by these days, and it's nice to not have to worry about holder blemishes interfering with the view. Thanks for all the comments.
  • edited October 2022

One thing I really like about True View photos is that, whatever its flaws, at least it's a photo of the raw coin. That's hard to come by these days, and it's nice to not have to worry about holder blemishes interfering with the view. Thanks for all the comments.

I hate to break it to you but this is not always the case. Many coins are sent in for TrueViews but are already in the holder. A lot of people want the TrueView but want to keep a desirable holder (e.g., OGH) or don't want to pay the extra fee to have it reholdered if the original holder is not scratched/chipped.

This used to be less common but sellers have come to realize how critical high quality imaging and specifically TrueViews are to online sales.

Here is a TrueView where you can see the prongs in the image:

• Frank_Kate Said:
    I hate to break it to you but this is not always the case. Many coins are sent in for TrueViews but are already in the holder. A lot of people want the TrueView but want to keep a desirable holder (e.g., OGH) or don't want to pay the extra fee to have it reholdered if the original holder is not scratched/chipped.

--------

I was unaware of that. I was under the impression that they only photograph the raw coin in order to facilitate identification of that particular coin in the future based on detail in the photograph, such as to identify crack-outs in order to keep population stats more accurate.

The PCGS website indicates the following on their True View page:

https://www.pcgs.com/trueview

where it states near the bottom in the questions section:

"At what point in the process are the photographs taken? Photography can take place at any point in the grading process but always before the coin is encapsulated to ensure absolute clarity in the photography process."

"Always" sounds pretty definitive, but I guess there could be exceptions for cases like those that you pointed out.
  • I do see the prongs in the image you posted. I can't recall if I've ever seen that before, but there are clearly exceptions to what they state on their website.
  • I do see the prongs in the image you posted. I can't recall if I've ever seen that before, but there are clearly exceptions to what they state on their website.

If PCGS is grading a coin for the first time, they will image before encapsulation. What I am describing only happens when someone already has a PCGS encapsulated coin that they send back in for TrueView but not reholdering.
  • Understood. I guess I'll keep a closer eye out for prongs in True View photos. In any case, the vast majority appear to be photos of raw coins, which I think is very helpful compared to most auctions and inventories being almost entirely photos of holdered coins. Thanks for the heads-up.