1807 capped bust half dollar small stars — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

1807 capped bust half dollar small stars

So I recently found this coin on ebay in an auction in a 2x2. The seller even had no returns on the auction. I messaged and asked if there were any marks i couldn't see on the coin through the 2x2 images. He told me no, that it was a nice coin. I placed the last second bid that I felt safe with. I won it and sent it express. I have looked a long time for one of these in original condition. I am a member of another forum and made a post there about this coin. Someone replied today that pcgs used my coin on the coin facts. I went and looked and yes it is true. My small stars is the poster coin for f12... I also included the original seller 2x2 photos. 

Comments

• Congratulations, that’s a really nice looking example.
  • After I saw they used this one I went looking for this 1808 to see if they had used it. It is another one of mine I love. And sure enough it was used too!
  • VERTIGO said:

After I saw they used this one I went looking for this 1808 to see if they had used it. It is another one of mine I love. And sure enough it was used too!

Buying raw coins on Ebay is extremely risky. Congrats for not getting ripped off!

And PCGS posts the most recent TrueViews on each coin listing.
  • Oh yea I have fun buying them on ebay. I can usually get them under price guide. Not often but it happens. I have sent some back. People do what they do to hide problems. I usually only buy stuff with returns on the auction. But the "significantly not as described" policy on eBay sides with the buyer most of the time. I had messaged the seller asking about scratches or any other damage before auction ends. If it comes with any ill turn to ebay. But in that ones case it was nice. I have been doing it enough i can usually see what I need to see in the photos to get a general idea. I usually keep it in the one to two hundred dollar range so there's no big loss and only buy things I know about. 
  • VERTIGO said:

Oh yea I have fun buying them on ebay. I can usually get them under price guide. Not often but it happens. I have sent some back. People do what they do to hide problems. I usually only buy stuff with returns on the auction. But the "significantly not as described" policy on eBay sides with the buyer most of the time. I had messaged the seller asking about scratches or any other damage before auction ends. If it comes with any ill turn to ebay. But in that ones case it was nice. I have been doing it enough i can usually see what I need to see in the photos to get a general idea. I usually keep it in the one to two hundred dollar range so there's no big loss and only buy things I know about. 

You know how to beat Ebay scammers by clicking the "Not as advertised" button. If Ebay disagrees, you can dispute the purchase with your credit card company.

You might consider putting all photos into photoshop so that you can brighten and sharpen them to see obscure/hidden flaws.
  • p.s.- The vast majority of Ebay sellers (and buyers) are NOT crooks, contrary to urban myth.
  • Congrats on a nice looking coin. 

Original, problem free 1807 Overton 113 and 114 don’t come around a lot!