Q&A with CAC Grading Operations Manager - Page 2 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Q&A with CAC Grading Operations Manager

Comments

• JACAC said:
    Oreville.  Yes , there will be two separate pop reports. JA 
    John, as a follow up to that- When a stickered coin is crossed, will it remain in the stickered pop as well as the slab pop, or will it be removed from the stickered pop at that point? 
  • Yep. Hence my Post. When it was open this year a few times, the waiting list slot was not known, but it did not really matter, because no more new submitters were being accepted due to the concentration to improve grading times, as an example. I concur that hopefuls were told there was no waiting list, and I can understand why. It was a series of issues that came together since Jan., that new members had to be put on hold. I think it will all work out.
  • CACfan said:

JACAC said:

YOU SAID: John, as a follow up to that- When a stickered coin is crossed, will it remain in the stickered pop as well as the slab pop, or will it be removed from the stickered pop at that point? 
    MY REPLY: It will be removed from the "stickered pop" to avoid confusion.

• CACfan said:
    JACAC said:
    YOU SAID: John, as a follow up to that- When a stickered coin is crossed, will it remain in the stickered pop as well as the slab pop, or will it be removed from the stickered pop at that point? 
    MY REPLY: It will be removed from the "stickered pop" to avoid confusion.
    Thank you, @CACfan. May have been a redundant question but I just wanted to confirm
  • john said:

john said:

CAC_Team said:

Why don't I start you off with a hard one. What are you looking forward to most regarding the opening??

Allowing members of this forum, that are not previous CAC members with direct submission privileges, to also have direct submission privileges. I understand that may need a cut-off date, but maybe anyone prior is grandfathered in.
    I feel like an unanswered question orphan. That is how I felt when my parents ignored me. Not that they were not smart in doing so, but still...it leaves a psychological rejection scar.
    jerseyben said:

john said:

john said:

CAC_Team said:

Why don't I start you off with a hard one. What are you looking forward to most regarding the opening??

Allowing members of this forum, that are not previous CAC members with direct submission privileges, to also have direct submission privileges. I understand that may need a cut-off date, but maybe anyone prior is grandfathered in.
    I feel like an unanswered question orphan. That is how I felt when my parents ignored me. Not that they were not smart in doing so, but still...it leaves a psychological rejection scar.
    I will cosign this one. I tried to join CAC and even asked to be placed on the "waiting list". I was told that there is no waiting list. Recent interviews seem to imply that there is, in fact, a waiting list. Still hoping in the future that I can join CAC in some way or another.
    Please know your question is not being ignored. Stay tuned, as you will get an answer very soon.
  • Thank you, and I did not really think I was being ignored. I have a tendency to inject humor as an attention tool. I have not experienced any question being ignored on this Platform and realize some thought and planning and resources ability has to be considered by CAC, before opining on a subject. That is as it should be, and is the reason I mentioned it will all work out.
  • john said:

Thank you, and I did not really think I was being ignored. I have a tendency to inject humor as an attention tool. I have not experienced any question being ignored on this Platform and realize some thought and planning and resources ability has to be considered by CAC, before opining on a subject. That is as it should be, and is the reason I mentioned it will all work out.

Some say there is truth in every jest. ;)
    We appreciate your understanding as it pertains to our methodical approach to answering questions.
  • Wondering about your grading sets,  @CAC_Ops are you going to have an A set, B set and C set to grade with and display for comparison? 
       Also, will CACG charge a yearly membership fee? Doesn't really matter, just curious about the membership fee. 
        My coins were at pcgs for so long that my membership expired.
  • WilliamJ said:

Wondering about your grading sets,  @CAC_Ops are you going to have an A set, B set and C set to grade with and display for comparison? 
       Also, will CACG charge a yearly membership fee? Doesn't really matter, just curious about the membership fee. 

PCGS is still using their original grading set gathered by Silvano DiGenova in 1985.
  • WilliamJ said:

Wondering about your grading sets,  @CAC_Ops are you going to have an A set, B set and C set to grade with and display for comparison? 

@WilliamJ, great questions!

1.) I will defer to @JACAC for specifics regarding our grading sets (i.e., A, B, and/or C sets), as he is the subject matter expert most qualified to speak to this.
    2.) As for a yearly membership fee, we are currently finalizing the details. There will be more information on this coming very soon.
    3.) CAC Grading will be applying a continuous improvement methodology to its operations to ensure all submissions are processed in a timely manner. I'm sorry to hear about your coins sitting so long that your membership lapsed. While the last three years clearly demonstrated that things are capable of changing unexpectedly, our goal is to be nimble and adaptive to whatever the world throws at us.
  • edited November 2022
    Sorry for this trip down memory lane….

. I seem to remember when Silvano DiGenova recruited JA to be one of the founding members of PCGS back in 1985 or 1986. JA was considered to be one of the top if not the top grader of Gold coinage even way back then.
    JA has only gotten better over the years. I wonder if Steve Blum is still working or more and more retired?
  • WilliamJ said:

@WilliamJ, regarding CAC membership, I just wanted to let you (and anyone else who might be interested) know there will be NO fee! You're welcome. ;)
  • Thank you.
  • WilliamJ said:

I obviously don’t know, but I highly doubt it. A coins would just be + graded coins which are basically limited to MS grades (and JA isn’t a fan of + grades anyway, but he realizes they’re accepted by the market). B coins are solid for the grade and what will make up the grading sets. C coins won’t exist in CAC slabs (they’ll either be downgraded to their proper A/B grade or put in a Details holder).
  • I obviously don’t know, but I highly doubt it. A coins would just be + graded coins which are basically limited to MS grades (and JA isn’t a fan of + grades anyway, but he realizes they’re accepted by the market). B coins are solid for the grade and what will make up the grading sets. C coins won’t exist in CAC slabs (they’ll either be downgraded to their proper A/B grade or put in a Details holder).
      "C coins won't exist in CAC slabs"  @acspatriot13

Seems to me that C coins will always exist in every grade. Even with  CACG standards. There will always be coins of lower quality than others, it is just a matter of where do you draw the line and how do you label them. Every coin is in a different level of preservation, some b coins will  not be as nice as others and then will become the new c coins!
           Cleaned coins and other details are certainly problematic, sad so many coins have been abused!
  • WilliamJ said:

I obviously don’t know, but I highly doubt it. A coins would just be + graded coins which are basically limited to MS grades (and JA isn’t a fan of + grades anyway, but he realizes they’re accepted by the market). B coins are solid for the grade and what will make up the grading sets. C coins won’t exist in CAC slabs (they’ll either be downgraded to their proper A/B grade or put in a Details holder).

"C coins won't exist in CAC slabs"  @acspatriot13

Seems to me that C coins will always exist in every grade. Even with  CACG standards. There will always be coins of lower quality than others, it is just a matter of where do you draw the line and how do you label them. Every coin is in a different level of preservation, some b coins will  not be as nice as others and then will become the new c coins!
           Cleaned coins and other details are certainly problematic, sad so many coins have been abused!

100% agree! There will always be different levels of quality within any assigned grade. I just meant there will be no C coins as people see them today. There will absolutely still be low end coins for the grade.
  • edited November 2022
    My comment copied from another thread:

While the old “A” CAC stickered coins will now be treated by CACG as “+” coins, the old defect-free non stickered “C” coins will now mostly be treated by CACG as “+” coins in the next grade down, and the old “B” CAC stickered coins will now mostly be treated by CACG as solid coins in the current whole grade number (the old B++ might go to a “+”), yes, these new “solid for the grade” coins in whole grade numbers in the new CACG holders can in theory be divided into high, mid, and low, the key is those new “low end coins in the whole grade numbers” will clearly be nicer to the CACG graders that the old defect-free “C” low end coins!

Talk about a run on sentence, lol.

In other words, the coins that will soon be in the whole grade number will have a MUCH tighter range than the old C, B, and A range.

Steve
  • Oh goody!
    Will all this be in a nice set of books bound in Corrrrrinnthian leather?
    The narrative is becoming pretty complicated.
    :/
  • edited November 2022
    Well said Steven:

"these new “solid for the grade” coins in whole grade numbers in the new CACG holders can in theory be divided into high, mid, and low. The key is those new “low end coins in the whole grade numbers” will clearly be nicer to the CACG graders than the old defect-free “C” low end coins!"

Regarding grade ranges, CAC has always and I believe will continue to have higher standards (tighter ranges for each grade) than the other grading companies. Although there are differences in the technical grades (amount of wear) the most significant differences are surface quality.
    IMHO, CAC approved coins are consistently above average for the grade.