Q&A with CAC Grading Operations Manager - Page 8 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Q&A with CAC Grading Operations Manager

Comments

• Does anybody know?
        Will CACG recognize all of the varieties that NGC attributes? 
        I have two coins that I have anxiously been waiting to attribute. If by NGC then a cac resticker, or a CACG crossover. Not sure what to do, but both are top pop for the variety.
  • WilliamJ said:

Does anybody know?
        Will CACG recognize all of the varieties that NGC attributes? 

I have two coins that I have anxiously been waiting to attribute. If by NGC then a cac resticker, or a CACG crossover. Not sure what to do, but both are top pop for the variety.
    I wouldn't want to make a blanket statement that CACG is doing all the varieties that PCGS &/or NGC currently recognize. It would be easier for us to develop our own strategy on what varieties we will be doing eventually. They may coincide with PCGS &/or NGC varieties.
    What varieties are you referring to with your question?
  • I remember reading that the submission forms will be a lot simpler than other services which is great. Thinking of varieties, if the variety is obvious but currently unattributed would it just get assigned automatically? Just pondering as some people are unaware of certain varieties or forget to mark it down. Obviously more obscure ones or ones that take time to verify wouldn’t be part of that. 
  • TurtleCat said:

I remember reading that the submission forms will be a lot simpler than other services which is great. Thinking of varieties, if the variety is obvious but currently unattributed would it just get assigned automatically? Just pondering as some people are unaware of certain varieties or forget to mark it down. Obviously more obscure ones or ones that take time to verify wouldn’t be part of that. 

@TurtleCat, certain scenarios will be handled on a case-by-case basis to ensure we honor the customer's wishes regarding variety attributions.
  • Will you be ready to accept the GSA holders at start? Are you going to have a sticker seal that goes around the holder like what NGC is doing now? I have ike proofs in GSA holders i want left in the holders. 
  • VERTIGO said:

Will you be ready to accept the GSA holders at start? Are you going to have a sticker seal that goes around the holder like what NGC is doing now? I have ike proofs in GSA holders i want left in the holders. 

I would like to add to this question. If the answer is yes, then would Redfield Dollars housed in Paramount holders also get the same treatment?
  • I’ve been helping an elderly collector to rebuild his classic 36-42 proof sets. I wonder if we might be able to add a vanity tag like The Jack Whyle-Spitz Collection and get sequential cert #’s if we submit them to CACG as a collection?
    Also just wondering when you’ll add the lower denom 1950’s proofs to the selection of gradable coins.

• Let’s hopre that CACG handles varieties better than this example, which are 2 accented hair Kennedy half dollars. Ngc provides basic attribution for free, Pcgs deliberately suppressed it even if you put the coin # on the order (I had a 1911-d/d downgraded to a plain 11-d by Pcgs even though I put the right coin # on the form and it’s a pretty major variety.) ‘also there are some Sub-varieties of the 64 proof Kennedy half that ngc does charge the fee for))
  • I no longer have a pcgs membership. It is frustrating when they don't label varieties.

• Let’s hopre that CACG handles varieties better than this example, which are 2 accented hair Kennedy half dollars. Ngc provides basic attribution for free, Pcgs deliberately suppressed it even if you put the coin # on the order (I had a 1911-d/d downgraded to a plain 11-d by Pcgs even though I put the right coin # on the form and it’s a pretty major variety.) ‘also there are some Sub-varieties of the 64 proof Kennedy half that ngc does charge the fee for))

Just to be clear, the PCGS example is NOT an Accented Hair, while the NGC coin is. PCGS did not attribute the coin because if they did, they'd be wrong.
  • FlyingAl,

Given that CAC has already approved NGC RB CAMEO copper coins, the answer is probably yes.
  • edited March 2023
    Does CAC have a buy-back program if a coin with poor surfaces somehow gets stickered? I see stickered coins with dark, original-looking toning, yet they have poor surfaces. I can send high-def photos if you're interested. Somehow, I cannot copy and paste photos of these coins here.
  • You Just need to click on the image tool , tell it where to get the image from and then choose a picture. It looks like a framed lamdscape picture on the wall complete with a littlemmountain

Hopefully they attach in the order you intended them to. This is now it looks on my iPad.
  • Yeah the worst part of using your fingers instead of a mouse or a stylus in iPad is making consistent Curt’s. Copies. And pastes. I often am relegated to using an old iPhone as a spare imaging device to make up for the shortncomings in iOS character presentment and transformation.

My iPhone 6s Plus us serving in that role now. Also I once got a great gift from heritage auctions a little rubber-tipped stylus that’ worked well with my gen 2.0 iPad Air mini (about a 5x8 inch Wifi tablet I got for touring eagles nest a vacation community near Easton Pa ,
  • My iphone & IPAD have a conspiracy going to get me locked up at the funny farm, autocorrecting me to Lewisburg Federal prison near Bucknell where I almost went to college;

• Barberian said:

Does CAC have a buy-back program if a coin with poor surfaces somehow gets stickered? I see stickered coins with dark, original-looking toning, yet they have poor surfaces. I can send high-def photos if you're interested. Somehow, I cannot copy and paste photos of these coins here.

Thanks for the assistance. The problem appears to be file size, as these are Trueviews with file sizes that apparently exceed this site's limits. I sent smaller copies of Trueviews along.
  • Yes you’re probably right. There is no better way to disable someone’s iPhone than to send a bunch of trueview files into their email and specifying “iCloud linking.. off!”
    39mb doesnt sound too bad in the overall framework of how much absolute-garbage image data that your mobile device streams at you every day , that’s the size of a max image on Pcgs.
    Speaking of which, I hope I’m not the only person who’s having trouble using Pcgs,com, because of how they’ve gone to some form of SSO with collectors.com, and not really explicitly told us of the change, or maybe I didn’t get the memo about using one’s collectors.com password for Pcgs. Because I keep getting bounced there to reset my Pcgs password, finally wised up and set it up today and actually started reading about the Vault for sports cards. Which seems to be a response to eBay, or maybe it’s the other way around.
    Anyway it only takes about. 125-15o true views in your imap inbox to disable it (comcast sent me stern warnings when my imap inbox exceeded 5gB recently, so i have to address the issue of an older gentleman who send out tons of attachments each day to everyone he corresponds with.)
    Finally, for a good laugh, check out the shared order page at Pcgs They have a ton of orders piled since 2021 from ‘China in the quality control step… you can see 100 online at a time, but there’s about 1400 (14 screenfuls). backed up for China since mid 2021. You can see the currently shipping orders after the 14th screenful of the “trapped in Q/c orders”. (actually it’s more like 20 screenfuls in)
  • The trick with TrueView is to "save image as" instead of "download".
  • The trick with TrueView is to "save image as" instead of "download".

The "snipping tool" saves anything on your screen to a file on your desktop.
    I'd be lost without snipping tool.
    Google it.
    I save the files as .jpg
    :)

Can you get a closeup of the I in LIBERTY? It does look like the bottom left side is truncated, which is one of the main markers of the AC Kennedy. If it is, this could possibly be nothing more than a mechanical error. PCGS should fix the error at no cost to you. This is one of the varieties they will assign without having to pay extra variety authentication fees.