Suggestions for the New CAC Slab — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Suggestions for the New CAC Slab

edited October 2022 in General
1. Use crystal clear prongs that magnify to allow the full view of coin edges.
2. Make the holders stackable with those of PCGS and NGC.
3. Design the holders to fit into PCGS and NGC boxes.
4. Delete the "LEGACY" name due to its use by a currency certification service whose owner was the owner of the defunct PCGS Currency.
5. Increase the attractiveness of the holder, possibly by adding color(s) and/or art?
6. Note CAC's website address on the insert.
7. For early copper, note CAC's grade AND the EAC grade given the latter's popularity in auction catalogs.
8. Use multiple slab designs to encourage collectors to complete sets thereof and thus further promote the CAC brand.
9. Make the inserts larger to allow lots of additional info such as varieties and pedigrees.
10. As yet another anti-counterfeiting feature, add small photos of the coins on the inserts that can be blown up at CAC's website.

ADD YOUR IDEAS BELOW!

Comments

• Offer quality slab boxes. Perhaps even those- at a premium- made of aluminum.
  • I always liked the blue ANACS insert that was curved and at the top you could see the date/denom/grade of the coin w/out pulling it out of the box.
  • For $1 million-plus coins, offer free crossovers, possibly into into solid gold slabs (except for the plastic prongs). This promotion will pay for itself many times over considering the epic publicity generated. CAC pays thousands per week in advertising as it is; this promotion would just be another form of advertising and likely be more cost efficient than ads in trade publications.
  • Coinstein said:

I always liked the blue ANACS insert that was curved and at the top you could see the date/denom/grade of the coin w/out pulling it out of the box.

A great idea!
  • Every new CAC slab should have an embedded CAC sticker on the obverse, legacy or not. The CAC brand is ridiculously strong and intimately tied with the green sticker. To not do so would be an error, in my humble opinion. 
  • Just playing around with some pictures, for fun... opportunity to do something interesting with a new slab label.  I say keep the sticker on the front.  
  • Another idea:

PCGS brands their slabs with their name right before the grade, eg

“PCGS MS65”

Denoting that this not just an MS65, this is a PCGS MS65.

CACG should do the same. The industry has adopted the phrasing grade+CAC, so I’d advise they lean into that and make it their own.  So labels should read:

”MS65 CAC”
    ”G04 CAC”

Etc.
  • Not bad at all, I like the left banner design a lot. Maybe that could be turned horizontal and fill the entire insert with an area for the printed coin info? Legacy coins would then have the CAC bean sticker image on the reverse. Nothing wrong with being a little flashy and artistic.
  • I’d like to see the kitchen sink applied for anti-counterfeiting so we won’t be seeing deceptive clones for a long time. I’m sure we will see fake slabs within weeks but they will not be very good but will get better.

It would be cool if the reverse of the label had some kind of mini image printed on it of the coin in slab (or a QR to a web link). That way we can compare what’s in the slab with an official pic.

• edited October 2022
    1)I like the green color tag/insert. I always liked the old green PCGS green color tag/insert as well. Hated the newer blue colored tag/inset.

2) I prefer a more clear gasket rather than the cloudy/opaque gasket. The gasket is ok as long as it is not cloudy which is distracting and also hides the rim.

3) The CAC sticker must be on the front of the holder NOT on the reverse. Putting it on the reverse repeats the same mistake JA made back in 1987 when he initially placed the grade on the reverse side of the black NGC slab only to realize that the market disliked it and he realized his error and moved the grade to the front. in the NGC 2.1 holder.

4) Otherwise good to go.
  • Some great suggestions posted here. After seeing the pics of the new slab. I personally don’t like the sticker on the reverse and don’t know anyone who really does. I am now in the camp that believes all CAC slabs should have a sticker on the obverse. Probably to late to make changes now that they had a big reveal?
  • edited October 2022
    MORE SUGGESTIONS:

1. Magnetic rims that allow easy, secure stacking.
    2. Glow-in-the-dark lettering so that lost slabs can easily be located in darkness or dim light.
    3. Embedded tracking device such as Apple AirTag.
    4. Bullet-resistant plastic (for several reasons).
    5. Tiny builtin stand that allows holder to stand upright.
  • edited October 2022
  • @JACAC I agree with others and think it's a BIG mistake to NOT put a CAC sticker on the front of every CACG slab. Right now, your brand is the green CAC sticker. When people see it, they think quality. If the new CACG slabs don't have it, coins in your holder will look inferior to coins in a PCGS/CAC holder. I believe you want a PCGS/CAC and CACG slab to be identical in the market with the same grading standards, right? So make them look the same. And the legacy label is enough to signify that this coin was crossed from a PCGS/NGC CAC holder. The other issue is, you don't want people to drastically prefer legacy slabs over normal slabs. This will make people first send the coins to NJ to get a sticker and then cross them to CACG. That defeats one of your purposes of starting CACG in the first place! I would also consider putting the legacy label in the reverse of the slab. That information is not critical and it hurts the look of a set when some coins having a legacy label and some coins don't. (See my amateur photoshop attempt)

• CACfan said:

MORE SUGGESTIONS:

2. Glow-in-the-dark lettering so that lost slabs can easily be located in darkness or dim light.

Keep it simple. How much do you want to pay for the CACG slab?

• @JACAC I agree with others and think it's a BIG mistake to NOT put a CAC sticker on the front of every CACG slab. Right now, your brand is the green CAC sticker. When people see it, they think quality. If the new CACG slabs don't have it, coins in your holder will look inferior to coins in a PCGS/CAC holder. I believe you want a PCGS/CAC and CACG slab to be identical in the market with the same grading standards, right? So make them look the same. And the legacy label is enough to signify that this coin was crossed from a PCGS/NGC CAC holder. The other issue is, you don't want people to drastically prefer legacy slabs over normal slabs. This will make people first send the coins to NJ to get a sticker and then cross them to CACG. That defeats one of your purposes of starting CACG in the first place! I would also consider putting the legacy label in the reverse of the slab. That information is not critical and it hurts the look of a set when some coins having a legacy label and some coins don't. (See my amateur photoshop attempt)

I like your thinking on this for the most part, legacy on the reverse, but the entire front insert is an array of CAC stickers as shown in the strip as I think that would really stick out and be something cool and new while still keeping the CAC emblem on the front ?
  • oreville said:

CACfan said:

MORE SUGGESTIONS:

I would not paying an extra $20-plus per slab for the extra bells and whistles.
  • oreville said:

CACfan said:

MORE SUGGESTIONS:

I'm happy to report that power windows and door locks are standard equipment. ;)
  • CAC_Ops said:

oreville said:

CACfan said:

MORE SUGGESTIONS:

I'm happy to report that power windows and door locks are standard equipment. ;)
    Ha ha….that was available back in the ‘80’s already. We want heated seats and steering wheel at a minimum. Heck, at this point I wanna put the new holder in my Tesla and have it auto link to the GPS so it can self drive me to the closest CAC location.
  • Coinstein said:

CAC_Ops said:

oreville said:

CACfan said:

MORE SUGGESTIONS:

Ha ha….that was available back in the ‘80’s already. We want heated seats and steering wheel at a minimum. Heck, at this point I wanna put the new holder in my Tesla and have it auto link to the GPS so it can self drive me to the closest CAC location.
    I see. Well, that sounds perfectly reasonable. I'll get my top people working on this right away.