Suggestions for the New CAC Slab - Page 2 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Suggestions for the New CAC Slab

Comments

• CACG should offer slabs for sale at all Superchargers. What else is there to do when charging?
  • CACG should offer slabs for sale at all Superchargers. What else is there to do when charging?

Think we’re onto something here. If they could slab 550 coins/hr it would match the full charging time.
  • Why do you need a CAC sticker when CAC is part of the label?

And will these new CAC slabs be able to be put in the PCGS Registry?

Because if not.......crack crack.
  • CACfan said:

oreville said:

CACfan said:

MORE SUGGESTIONS:

1. Magnetic rims that allow easy, secure stacking.
    2. Glow-in-the-dark lettering so that lost slabs can easily be located in darkness or dim light.
    3. Embedded tracking device such as Apple AirTag.
    4. Bullet-resistant plastic (for several reasons).
    5. Tiny builtin stand that allows holder to stand upright.

Keep it simple. How much do you want to pay for the CACG slab?

I would not paying an extra $20-plus per slab for the extra bells and whistles.
    I am sorry but I do not agree with #1 #2 and #5.

A tracking device might be useful in case of theft?
    What are the reasons for using bullet proof plastic?

• oreville said:

CACfan said:

oreville said:

CACfan said:

MORE SUGGESTIONS:

1. Magnetic rims that allow easy, secure stacking.
    2. Glow-in-the-dark lettering so that lost slabs can easily be located in darkness or dim light.
    3. Embedded tracking device such as Apple AirTag.
    4. Bullet-resistant plastic (for several reasons).
    5. Tiny builtin stand that allows holder to stand upright.

Keep it simple. How much do you want to pay for the CACG slab?

I would not paying an extra $20-plus per slab for the extra bells and whistles.
    I am sorry but I do not agree with #1 #2 and #5.

A tracking device might be useful in case of theft?
    What are the reasons for using bullet proof plastic?

I believe he was being facetious about the bulletproof plastic. The slab would need to be so thick to stop any sort of common caliber (I'm assuming the only reason you'd need bulletproof plastic is in case of an armed robbery turned shootout), that it would be impractical.
  • Bullet proof plastic!  That is quite the idea.
  • what does a legacy label look like? Have no problem and prefer it being located on the reverse.
  • edited October 2022
    Here is a mockup I created this evening of what I would love to have seen for a label. I think simply adding an "L" to the end of the serial to designate a Legacy coin from a raw graded coin would be a very simple way of distinguishing the two. Although I am not opposed to adding the embedded CAC sticker to the back as @JACAC has mentioned. I added some micro printing to the label at the top and bottom that fades out at the ends to help deter counterfeits as well as the fading color/CAC logo for the same reason. The back of the label has plenty of room for any annotations or Legacy labels.

I have added my own Morgan Dollar images so as to not ruffle any feathers.

• edited October 2022
    Bullet-resistant plastic, even if of coin slab thickness, is scratch resistant, crystal clear, virtually unbreakable, non-glare, anti-static, lightweight, and inexpensive. And it even blocks UV light.

Bullet-resistant plastic can be made of polycarbonate and/or acrylic plexiglass.

EDIT: The plastic does not need to actually block bullets; I doubt that many assassins will target rare coins. But I wear shooting glasses of slab plastic thickness that offer some protection against bullets.
  • @jtlee321that mock-up is SUPER nice!  Also kudos to everyone else who put some effort into mock-ups. I was thinking of doing same and I’m glad others with more skills than I took the charge.

One thing I really like about this design is that is fully embodies the CAC brand - the sticker is front & center & the color scheme is strong.  It stands in contrast even to a PCGS + CAC coin, where PCGS dominates and CAC is an afterthought. This puts the emphasis where it belongs. 

An idea for a (small) tweak:  I wonder if instead of “CACG MS-66+” the label should read more in line with how the market phrases it…”MS-66+ CAC”. That way it’s even more set apart from PCGS and yet more familiar to collectors and dealers who are used to that phrasing. 
  • edited October 2022
    jtlee321 said:
    Here is a mockup I created this evening of what I would love to have seen for a label. I think simply adding an "L" to the end of the serial to designate a Legacy coin from a raw graded coin would be a very simple way of distinguishing the two. Although I am not opposed to adding the embedded CAC sticker to the back as @JACAC has mentioned. I added some micro printing to the label at the top and bottom that fades out at the ends to help deter counterfeits as well as the fading color/CAC logo for the same reason. The back of the label has plenty of room for any annotations or Legacy labels. I have added my own Morgan Dollar images so as to not ruffle any feathers.

jtlee321 said:
    Here is a mockup I created this evening of what I would love to have seen for a label. I think simply adding an "L" to the end of the serial to designate a Legacy coin from a raw graded coin would be a very simple way of distinguishing the two. Although I am not opposed to adding the embedded CAC sticker to the back as @JACAC has mentioned. I added some micro printing to the label at the top and bottom that fades out at the ends to help deter counterfeits as well as the fading color/CAC logo for the same reason. The back of the label has plenty of room for any annotations or Legacy labels. I have added my own Morgan Dollar images so as  
    @jtlee321 Well done! I’m thinking just a little lighter green for background,so bean shows better (like you have for back of label), and no CACG before grade (not needed). Glad you did this, as I was going to give it shot later today.
    Edit:  For problem coins, consider making the green bean a reddish maroon color to make it obvious it’s a problem coin.
  • jtlee321 said:
    Here is a mockup I created this evening of what I would love to have seen for a label. I think simply adding an "L" to the end of the serial to designate a Legacy coin from a raw graded coin would be a very simple way of distinguishing the two. Although I am not opposed to adding the embedded CAC sticker to the back as @JACAC has mentioned. I added some micro printing to the label at the top and bottom that fades out at the ends to help deter counterfeits as well as the fading color/CAC logo for the same reason. The back of the label has plenty of room for any annotations or Legacy labels. I have added my own Morgan Dollar images so as to not ruffle any feathers.

Wow, this looks really great. Hell of a job, @jtlee321
  • jtlee321 said:
    I like your mock-up more than any of the others I have seen. As a plastic surgeon, I am hyper-focused on aesthetics, and it carries over into my hobby life as well.

As in any business, branding is critical. CAC has spent years and I’m sure millions of dollars branding their green sticker and the color “CAC green.” I can now walk up to a coin case and a quick glance immediately identifies and attracts my attention to CAC approved coins. My brain has been trained to see them and focus on them, and that green sticker probably even causes a little pleasant dopamine release as a reward.

I think the same shade of green should be featured prominently on the front of the slab as well as the sticker being present on the front of the slab, to create an instantly recognizable, consistent, clean look that is pleasing to the eye and provides all the necessary information, without having to turn the slab over. Many times as you peruse coin cases or online you only see the front of a slab, so it needs to tell you all you need to know without having to flip it over.

I’m not really interested in the Legacy designation, and placing the sticker on the back of the slab is a mistake in my opinion. If anything it’s confusing- okay this slab says Legacy, this slab has a sticker on the back, let me figure all that out…..

I’m really not interested in all that- I would prefer a very attractive insert, prominently using the “CAC green”, and a sticker on the front. That would tell me CAC approved at the grade on the holder. I don’t really care if it previously had a sticker in another TPG holder.

And if there is a Legacy designation and that becomes a “thing” in terms of collectibility (because people collect all kinds of crazy things), then it will create a market for people wanting to get a sticker first on their holder from a different TPG and then cross the coin into a CACG holder to get the Legacy designation. That doesn’t serve the stated objective of phasing out the CAC stickering program over time- it only creates more demand, and seems a little gimmicky.

I congratulate John on undertaking this endeavor yet again in his career, and I only see good things and a bettering of the hobby as a result. It’s an exciting time to be a coin collector, and I look forward to watching all of this unfold!
  • Super job @jtlee321....your hired! Wondering same here, is CACG needed?
  • jtlee321 said:

Here is a mockup I created this evening of what I would love to have seen for a label. I think simply adding an "L" to the end of the serial to designate a Legacy coin from a raw graded coin would be a very simple way of distinguishing the two. Although I am not opposed to adding the embedded CAC sticker to the back as @JACAC has mentioned. I added some micro printing to the label at the top and bottom that fades out at the ends to help deter counterfeits as well as the fading color/CAC logo for the same reason. The back of the label has plenty of room for any annotations or Legacy labels.

I have added my own Morgan Dollar images so as to not ruffle any feathers.

I like your quick mock up color even more as well. I like the fading from emerald green to a lighter color. Make it more dramatic to nearly white.

Only major suggestion is to use block lettering CAC at the top which was the original PCGS OGH style of the front label of the front and use the white CAC background as JA originally showed us but only on the reverse side. This gives the label more room to allow the sticker to be placed in the same area on the right of the front label as currently located rather than at the very top. More consistent looking. Also fights off another new stickering company from imitating the CAC 1.0 sticker.

Also, the CAC sticker is only to be used when the coin is approved by CAC.

Legacy info should be on the reverse side only. How legacy info is presented is less important to me but do like the letter P or N with old serial numbers.

One other thing which is VERY IMPORTANT … the slabs must be very stackable and also stackable with PCGS slabs and fit in PCGS boxes which NGC rarely was able to do well.
  • I personally do not like clear or tinted slabs, they look cheap and/or very similar to now defunct brands. Gold, silver, copper and the other allows used look excellent with contrast, therefore white or black slabs look best to my eyes, they make the shiny, colorful alloy stand out, they bring more attention to the coin, black or white is neutral and it frames the coin.
    In addition black and white was used when NGC first started, it worked then and became very very popular and it continues to today.
    CAC should not follow all the other slabbing companies, they should make themselves stand out and show/present the coin and black and white does exactly that.
  • Realone said:

I personally do not like clear or tinted slabs, they look cheap and/or very similar to now defunct brands. Gold, silver, copper and the other allows used look excellent with contrast, therefore white or black slabs look best to my eyes, they make the shiny, colorful alloy stand out, they bring more attention to the coin, black or white is neutral and it frames the coin.
    In addition black and white was used when NGC first started, it worked then and became very very popular and it continues to today.
    CAC should not follow all the other slabbing companies, they should make themselves stand out and show/present the coin and black and white does exactly that.

Keep in mind that the look of the new CAC 2.0 slab should not be the primary attraction. The grading is more important.

• Something like this bean for problem coins? I just quickly shaded @jtlee321’s art work on my phone.
    Again, I suggest removing the CACG from before the grade. And, obviously, a problem coin would say Uncirculated Details followed by the issue…I also like the “L” at the end of the cert number for the Legacy coins
  • I really like the mock up but think the image of the bean should be on the lower middle right as it is on most stickered slabs. That is where people look for a bean and it would stand out a bit more because the green background has transitioned to be lighter in that area.
  • I really like the mock up but think the image of the bean should be on the lower middle right as it is on most stickered slabs. That is where people look for a bean and it would stand out a bit more because the green background has transitioned to be lighter in that area.

Maybe Legacy coins have bean lower middle right like currently stickered coins and new CACG coins top center as portrayed? No L or Legacy needed as bean position would identify which is which?