Suggestions for the New CAC Slab - Page 3 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Suggestions for the New CAC Slab

Comments

• Nobody has suggested simple emojis for grades.
    Good reason.

:) :( :/ :# :'(

Sorry I posted it. :D
  • Coinstein said:

I really like the mock up but think the image of the bean should be on the lower middle right as it is on most stickered slabs. That is where people look for a bean and it would stand out a bit more because the green background has transitioned to be lighter in that area.

Maybe Legacy coins have bean lower middle right like currently stickered coins and new CACG coins top center as portrayed? No L or Legacy needed as bean position would identify which is which?
    Sounds reasonable to me.
  • In my mind, the bean will be part of the ink of the label. Not an actual sticker. So, varying the location might be more challenging.
    Personally, I like it prominently displayed middle top. Maybe even a bit oversized from the current sticker size
  • I really wish there was a "like" or "agree" button. I like the feedback and I am happy a lot of you like my design. I don't want to step on any toes as it's very possible that the revealed design is final. I'd be happy to make some edits and I have a few ideas as well. But, out of respect for @JACAC and CAC in general, I don't want to create an expectation that might not come to fruition. If they are open to further suggestions and nothing is finalized and they want to explore a design change further, I would be very happy to help out.

Personally, I don't think they need the CAC oval on the right side of the slab. That is what the stickering service was and they are transitioning over to a grading service. I think what's most important is brand recognition with enough change that they can distinguish their legacy brand to the new brand moving forward. It's not always a popular move, but it generally becomes accepted over time. I think the number one and number two priorities are brand recognition and security of the slab against counterfeits. So possibly implementing a color shifting ink to the CAC bean at the top of holder that shifts from green to a gold depending on the angle you tilt the holder and the microprinting would help with that. Almost everyone who looks at a coin is using a loupe and verifying that the microprinting is sharp can be done while examining the coin. At least that is my thought process.
  • PonyUp said:

In my mind, the bean will be part of the ink of the label. Not an actual sticker. So, varying the location might be more challenging.
    Personally, I like it prominently displayed middle top. Maybe even a bit oversized from the current sticker size

That is exactly what my thought process was. The logo I showed with the oval is printed and is not a sticker.
  • jtlee321 said:

PonyUp said:

In my mind, the bean will be part of the ink of the label. Not an actual sticker. So, varying the location might be more challenging.

That is exactly what my thought process was. The logo I showed with the oval is printed and is not a sticker.
    I thought you cannot use that CAC logo (sticker) if it is a details or a C quality corn?
    If you use that CAC logo on a details coin or C quality you will confuse the marketplace which is why I objected to using it other than a (tm) trademarked black block lettering.

• oreville said:
    I thought you cannot use that CAC logo (sticker) if it is a details or a C quality corn? If you use that CAC logo on a details coin or C quality you will confuse the marketplace which is why I objected to using it other than a (tm) trademarked black block lettering.
    The problem coin would have a darker red sticker logo like I posted earlier…should be very obvious, along with the issues detailed where the grade would be
  • Realone said:
    I personally do not like clear or tinted slabs, they look cheap and/or very similar to now defunct brands. Gold, silver, copper and the other allows used look excellent with contrast, therefore white or black slabs look best to my eyes, they make the shiny, colorful alloy stand out, they bring more attention to the coin, black or white is neutral and it frames the coin.
    In addition black and white was used when NGC first started, it worked then and became very very popular and it continues to today.
    CAC should not follow all the other slabbing companies, they should make themselves stand out and show/present the coin and black and white does exactly that.

--------

I don't really like clear slabs either. Whatever the slab is resting on shows through, which can be rather distracting and even unsightly depending on what it is, and it doesn't frame the coin consistently at all because there's always a different background. I don't necessarily like the plain white of NGC, but something opaque and easy on the eyes that doesn't overshadow the coin but blocks out intrusions around the perimeter and serves as a consistent frame for the coin seems like the best approach.

Also, placing the CAC green bean itself in place of CACG right before the grade, which someone already suggested, would save some space as well.
  • FACTS:

1. CAC's slabbing service will be called CAC, not "CACG".
    2. CAC has already decided to place its actual green bean on the left side of the insert's reverse, not the obverse.
    3. CAC is keeping each coin's description to a basic, no-frills minimum. There is only so much real estate on a slab insert.
    4. The aforementioned facts are a done deal, as per Thursday's press release.
  • noahlh said:

Every new CAC slab should have an embedded CAC sticker on the obverse, legacy or not. The CAC brand is ridiculously strong and intimately tied with the green sticker. To not do so would be an error, in my humble opinion. 

I agree. To have stickers only on "Legacy" holders could cause confusion and possibly diminish the value of newly graded CAC holdered coins without a sticker.

Use stickers on all CAC slabs or don't use them at all.
  • jtlee321 said:
    Here is a mockup I created this evening of what I would love to have seen for a label. I think simply adding an "L" to the end of the serial to designate a Legacy coin from a raw graded coin would be a very simple way of distinguishing the two. Although I am not opposed to adding the embedded CAC sticker to the back as @JACAC has mentioned. I added some micro printing to the label at the top and bottom that fades out at the ends to help deter counterfeits as well as the fading color/CAC logo for the same reason. The back of the label has plenty of room for any annotations or Legacy labels. I have added my own Morgan Dollar images so as to not ruffle any feathers.

Outstanding work CAC team on the classy holder with the beveled edges; very nice. 

I’m in agreement with @FloridaFacelifter that the aesthetics of @jtlee321’s design are excellent. 
  • @CACfan…That’s not the way I read it, concerning your #2 above. @JACAC said they have heard similar feedback from many are were “going back to work”.
    I took that was in regards to placing the CAC bean on the front of the slab, as that is what best identifies CAC.
  • All great on the design; however, I would not cut off the top part of the CAC bean…just lower it a bit on the label to get the full oval. Also consider a subtle gold border around the green label to frame it in and pay tribute to the gold CAC bean. The contrast would be awesome!
  • PonyUp said:

@CACfan…That’s not the way I read it, concerning your #2 above. @JACAC said they have heard similar feedback from many are were “going back to work”.
    I took that was in regards to placing the CAC bean on the front of the slab, as that is what best identifies CAC.

I was merely going by the press release. I did not see the update. It definitely seems silly to put the CAC bean on the back of the holder!
  • I think people are referring to CACG to differentiate it from the current CAC stickering service, not because that's what it's going to be called. At least that's my understanding anyway. I'm sure it will all meld together eventually.
  • "CAC 2.0" is more appropriate for the Internet age. It is the updated version of "CAC 1.0". But it seems that CAC will just say "CAC" on their slabs, judging by Thursday's press release. I suspect that "CAC Slab" will be how dealers advertise the finished products.
  • Ok. Here are some modifications based on suggestions in here. I have to admit making these kinds of things are fun and entertaining for me. Not making the changes would be like not attending a local coin show, even if just briefly.

• @jtlee321

You knocked it out of the park. I think that the incorporation of the bean on the obverse, and the trademark emerald green color are much better for marketing purposes. 
  • Ditto, Home run!