Suggestions for the New CAC Slab - Page 4 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Suggestions for the New CAC Slab

Comments

• But why not just put the CAC bean next to the grade?
  • These suggestions are for the eventual CAC 3.0 slab as the 2.0 will be superseded.
  • edited October 2022
    jtlee321 said:

Ok. Here are some modifications based on suggestions in here. I have to admit making these kinds of things are fun and entertaining for me. Not making the changes would be like not attending a local coin show, even if just briefly.

The reason this thread has not been closed is your posts are thought provoking, educational and fun to observe even if we do not agree with all of your ideas.
  • @jtlee321 Nice! 
    A tweak would be to make the “red” more burgundy…still stands out but less like a Christmas tree. That’s what I was thinking when I first suggested the red bean for problem coins.
  • edited October 2022
    I would like to see what your slab would look like just with bold caps font of CAC on top instead of the red CAC logo similar to the old PCGS OGH label for details coin.

Also with your front label getting even more white at the bottom.
  • PonyUp said:

@jtlee321 Nice! 

A tweak would be to make the “red” more burgundy…still stands out but less like a Christmas tree. That’s what I was thinking when I first suggested the red bean for problem coins.
    I like the red as shown. Wonder how yellow would look as it may work better with the green and would more subtly convey caution instead of reject.
  • Cacfan- originally, we were going to use the word “vintage “ to note a previously stickered coin and realized there would be confusion because it’s a numismatic term. If not legacy, what do you suggest?  JA 
  • edited October 2022
    On the prongs, clear is certainly preferred for rim viewing . Most importantly is the inertness of the gasket- the top priority. JA 
  • JACAC said:

Cacfan- originally, we were going to use the word “vintage “ to note a previously stickered coin and realized there would be confusion because it’s a numismatic term. If not legacy, what do you suggest?  JA 

It would be daring but “crossover” or “crossed” or “CAC Crossed”would work quite well and be understood that it was in a previous holder.

• Coinstein said:

PonyUp said:

@jtlee321 Nice! 

I like the red as shown. Wonder how yellow would look as it may work better with the green and would more subtly convey caution instead of reject.
    I actually considered yellow after I made the mock-up using red. I will probably explore that option.
    oreville said:

I would like to see what your slab would look like just with bold caps font of CAC on top instead of the red CAC logo similar to the old PCGS OGH label for details coin.

Also with your front label getting even more white at the bottom.

I can explore that as well.
  • JACAC said:

Cacfan- originally, we were going to use the word “vintage “ to note a previously stickered coin and realized there would be confusion because it’s a numismatic term. If not legacy, what do you suggest?  JA 

Hi JA,

Any thing but "Legacy", which some people might think is associated with the currency grading service (I even did for a brief moment). Maybe one of these?

Retro-grade (get it?) < my favorite

These make less sense but vaguely apply:

Venerable or venerability
    Precursor
    Erstwhile
    Classical
    Heirloom
    Antecedent

• Well done.

Question, what numbers will appear on the CAC slab obverses?

I would remove L from obverse. Instead, insert on back year coin was beaned and either P or N to designate prior TPG. Thus: P2005.

In 20 years, knowing that a coin was beaned by JA in 2005 in a PCGS holder could be useful information. And dealers could then advertise MS66+ P2005, or simply OB (= old bean). Yet another market to drive collectors bonkers. 🙃
  • @jtlee321 Wow! This is fantastic!
  • edited October 2022
    @jtlee321 I'm glad someone with more talent took a shot at this.  I think the latest version looks good except the green on the front is too much, not enough contrast with the bean and a little tough to look at, distracting.  A lighter more neutral color would be better for the bulk except the bean, IMHO.  

I hope that a label like this is considered vs the mockup released which is a little bland.  

And I am probably in the minority on this but I really like custom labels.  I hope to someday get a collection or 2 completed and holdered together with custom labels or at least a collection name.   Would be super neat if any customization could be made for regular orders.

Also +1 on having the date graded/crossed somewhere on the holder. (year-month, 22-10)
  • Hi Pedzola- I see the word “bland” mentioned. I’ve seen many artistic and flashy labels including the gold Bass labels. As a numismatist, I find that many of these are a bit overdone and they overshadow the most important item: the coin itself.  Something to think about. JA 
  • a
    JACAC said:

Hi Pedzola- I see the word “bland” mentioned. I’ve seen many artistic and flashy labels including the gold Bass labels. As a numismatist, I find that many of these are a bit overdone and they overshadow the most important item: the coin itself.  Something to think about. JA 

I agree.

Keep it simple, uncluttered yet pleasant to look at. That being said, the CAC sticker will eventually move to the front on an approved CAC slab in version 3.0. PCGS has only changed (improved) their slab 20 times in its 35 years and NGC only a few less times.

• Oreville. “Eventually “ will be on the first coin encapsulated. We have time to make changes. JA 
  • JACAC said:

Oreville. “Eventually “ will be on the first coin encapsulated. We have time to make changes. JA 

Indeed and further agreed.

• oh, one other comment. Isnt DMPL part of the silver dollar grade? Then it should read as MS 66+ DMPL or a close variation of that?
  • edited October 2022

Well done.

Question, what numbers will appear on the CAC slab obverses?

I would remove L from obverse. Instead, insert on back year coin was beaned and either P or N to designate prior TPG. Thus: P2005.

In 20 years, knowing that a coin was beaned by JA in 2005 in a PCGS holder could be useful information. And dealers could then advertise MS66+ P2005, or simply OB (= old bean). Yet another market to drive collectors bonkers. 🙃

I like the idea of adding the date and/or year of certification somewhere on the slab, for several reasons. First, it's useful information if you suspect that a coin has turned in the holder. (Compare the coin to online images if you're concerned about a coin.) Second, it's even more useful if color designations on copper coins are not guaranteed forever. And third, I suspect that doing so would be a strong deterrent to gradeflation.

As for the suggestion that the original P or N grade should be noted on the CAC slab, I disagree. Somewhat on principle, because the CAC grade is the only one that should count in the CAC grading room. But most importantly, because adding P designations might encourage people to submit coins to PCGS first, and then cross them. Which would largely defeat the purpose of turning CAC into a TPG in the first place!