Suggestions for the New CAC Slab - Page 5 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Suggestions for the New CAC Slab

Comments

• edited October 2022
    When considering the color scheme of the slab, it would be useful to show multiple mock-ups using gold, silver and copper coins. Slab colors that work well for white silver coins may look awful with red copper coins, etc.
  • I would use "Retro-grade" instead of "Legacy". Is there a more fitting or cutesy way to describe the use of the former CAC sticker grade for the new CAC slab? What am I missing? 
  • I actually like the term "legacy."  I think it fits very well. 
  • pedzola said:

I actually like the term "legacy."  I think it fits very well. 

"Legacy" is already the name of a currency grading service. Using it for a CAC 2.0 product may prove confusing. For a brief time, I actually thought that the two firms might be merging!
  • edited October 2022
    p.s.- When I Google "Legacy grading", the link for the currency certification service is the first to appear.
  • Good morning Counhound-  The holder (slab) is clear plastic. JA 
  • If "legacy" is already in use I'll vote for VOB Venerable Old Bean. 
  • edited October 2022
    Some great design modifications, below are my thoughts.

1. Not sure about using italics for the date, denomination, and grade I find regular bold/block numbers and letters to be easier to read at a distance.

2. I agree that the orange is to bright and not the best match with the emerald green color, try some different colors.

3. This could apply to whatever term is chosen to indicate a coin was previously stickered. With the bean located on the front of the insert I prefer using the letter L in the serial number to identify Legacy coins or moving the entire Legacy designation to the reverse side.

4. I would not list previous grades assigned by other grading companies.

5. I understand why some suggest adding the date when a coin was stickered, however this information might be inaccurate. For example: if a coin was originally stickered in 2007 and later submitted to a TPGS in 2021 to be encapsulated in a new gold shield holder and for Trueview images then returned to CAC to be restickered the date of sticking would be listed as 2021. If you had the old submission form or it's listed in the Submitter Account Portal perhaps the original submission date could be confirmed and used. However, that requires a lot of extra work.

• The “L” for legacy should be placed at the end of the cert number, as shown in the mock-ups. That provides the information without using the word…what could be simpler?
    as for bean color of problem coins; the bright red or bright yellow for the bean, IMO, looks distracting and cheap. A crimson/burgundy bean will show much better while remaining obvious to the fact it is a details coin. A more subtle yellow may look gold…hmmm…see any issues with that?
  • edited October 2022
    JACAC said:

Good morning Counhound-  The holder (slab) is clear plastic. JA 

Won't a clear slab show scratches more than any other hue?
  • CACfan said:

I would use "Retro-grade" instead of "Legacy". Is there a more fitting or cutesy way to describe the use of the former CAC sticker grade for the new CAC slab? What am I missing? 

Why not throw an '80's theme into it and call it "CAC Classic" and "New CAC"? I'm fine with whatever JA and crew come up with, Legacy has a pleasant connotation to it.
  • May I suggest an "S" ? Premium cars, motorcycles, and other items use an S to define something a level up from their base model. Stickered begins with an S as well. Having it located after the cert number like the L was show in the excellent mock up would be my choice.
  • The "S" in any Mercedes model number means "sedan". The "L" means "lengthened". At least, those are the definitions given by Mercedes' own website years ago, although now they mean the most luxurious in each of those respective categories.
  • edited October 2022
    I always thought it meant Sport? Which is a level up. On a Ducati motorcycle the S has upgraded components, usually suspension. Then you go to R for racing, and with Audi cars you go to RS. Sorry for digressing here, do not want to go too much off topic. Anyway, Super or Superior start with an S and that is what a green or gold bean represent, much better(A), or better(B), then average….an upgrade from standard such as a (C).

Edited to add >

For Mercedes:

S: Special Class = Sonderklasse

SL: Sport Light = Sportlich-Leicht
  • edited October 2022
    Coinstein said:

I always thought it meant Sport? Which is a level up. On a Ducati motorcycle the S has upgraded components, usually suspension. Then you go to R for racing, and with Audi cars you go to RS. Sorry for digressing here, do not want to go too much off topic. Anyway, Super or Superior start with an S and that is what a green or gold bean represent, much better(A), or better(B), then average….an upgrade from standard such as a (C).

It’s coins that are being holdered, not cars, beef, laundry detergent or some other product that’s being sold.

Gimmicky, extra modifiers shouldn’t be and aren’t needed.
  • I understand that. JA asked the question to CACfan what he would suggest instead of Legacy. I am suggesting an S for reasons already noted.
  • Coinstein said:

I understand that. JA asked the question to CACfan what he would suggest instead of Legacy. I am suggesting an S for reasons already noted.

What about 'previously?" or "prior?"
  • Once CACG is well established then there will be much reduced need or desire for reporting prior grading service serial number except to maintain historical provenance which is a nice benefit.
  • Coinstein said:

Edited to add >

For Mercedes:

S: Special Class = Sonderklasse

SL: Sport Light = Sportlich-Leicht

Again, years ago, Mercedes' own website said that the "S" stood for sedan and "L" meant lengthened. I know this because I was interested buying a new Mercedes, which I never ended up doing. I am unsure about what Mercedes' current definitions are.
  • Ironically, we are referencing Mercedes even though CAC is the Rolls-Royce of grading services.