Suggestions for the New CAC Slab - Page 6 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Suggestions for the New CAC Slab

Comments

• JACAC said:
    Good morning Counhound-  The holder (slab) is clear plastic. JA 
    Yes, of course. To be clearer, I should have said “ the color scheme of the tag”. 
  • Proud to be a new member and happy to be here! Just wanted to chime in and reiterate what many others have already stated: The classic green CAC sticker needs to be prominently displayed as a part of the basic design of every CAC slab (on the front label). It is iconic. It IS the brand and should be displayed as such. The legacy slab design is a great concept and I welcome it... But with some tweaks. "Legacy" has got to go. I am also in favor of simply notating legacy coins with an "L" at the end of the serial number. Nothing needs to be notated on the reverse of the slab either. Finally, green as a label color is appealing BUT please change the hue. It is too light. A brighter green would have much more eye appeal. Thanks for taking our ideas into consideration. Looking forward to seeing the final product very much! -Ben.
  • jerseyben said:

Proud to be a new member and happy to be here! Just wanted to chime in and reiterate what many others have already stated: The classic green CAC sticker needs to be prominently displayed as a part of the basic design of every CAC slab (on the front label). It is iconic. It IS the brand and should be displayed as such. The legacy slab design is a great concept and I welcome it... But with some tweaks. "Legacy" has got to go. I am also in favor of simply notating legacy coins with an "L" at the end of the serial number. Nothing needs to be notated on the reverse of the slab either. Finally, green as a label color is appealing BUT please change the hue. It is too light. A brighter green would have much more eye appeal. Thanks for taking our ideas into consideration. Looking forward to seeing the final product very much! -Ben.

Welcome, Ben. I agree with you - I am in favor of minimizing the differences in presentation between legacy and non-legacy slabs and making the legacy notation less conspicuous (either on the reverse or the letter at the end of the cert are both good suggestions). The potential for a bifurcated market based on slab cosmetics is something worth carefully avoiding.

With regard to the "legacy" name itself, I am reminded of the Winston Churchill quote about democracy (something to the effect of "democracy is the worst form of government, except for all others"). Legacy might not be the perfect descriptor but it sure beats the pants off of the alternatives offered thus far.
  • This is the color (still will say CAC)) for the problem coin bean, as I’m thinking. Also note it is a little larger. The bean itself should still be the reflective style of the current beans. I think the fact that the CAC team is reviewing our feedback and possibly? making changes to the label is a great sign that this holder will be the best out there.
  • edited October 2022
    PonyUp said:

This is the color (still will say CAC)) for the problem coin bean, as I’m thinking. Also note it is a little larger. The bean itself should still be the reflective style of the current beans. I think the fact that the CAC team is reviewing our feedback and possibly? making changes to the label is a great sign that this holder will be the best out there.

Why should the letters be all caps?
    And why should the “1898” and “$1” be slanted?
  • I guess CAC can use Christmas colors on their problem slabs to attempt to soften the blow to the recipients...
  • TomB said:

I guess CAC can use Christmas colors on their problem slabs to attempt to soften the blow to the recipients...

Or black, to signify lumps of coal.

• The bright red was too much, just toned it down a little…someone suggested earlier,  this :# for a C coin and  :'( for a details coin…
  • edited October 2022
    I've played around with my design a bit and ditched the red. I think a yellow would look better and not so glaring. I'm keeping it to myself for now as I don't want it to feel like my design is being force fed to our generous host. I have a hunch they are working on their own redesign currently and I can't wait to see what they come up with.
  • MarkFeld said:

PonyUp said:

This is the color (still will say CAC)) for the problem coin bean, as I’m thinking. Also note it is a little larger. The bean itself should still be the reflective style of the current beans. I think the fact that the CAC team is reviewing our feedback and possibly? making changes to the label is a great sign that this holder will be the best out there.

They don't need to be all caps, but they make it easier to read from a distance in a dealers case. I thought the italics would bring a bit of elegance to the design. After all CAC in the bean is in all caps and italicized.
  • jtlee321 said:

MarkFeld said:

PonyUp said:

They don't need to be all caps, but they make it easier to read from a distance in a dealers case. I thought the italics would bring a bit of elegance to the design. After all CAC in the bean is in all caps and italicized.
    That priceless bean might stand out more if there aren’t additional all caps, italicized words.😉

Please don’t get me wrong - I think your work is superb and am well aware that it’s much easier to suggest changes than it is to create.
  • MarkFeld said:

jtlee321 said:

MarkFeld said:

PonyUp said:

That priceless bean might stand out more if there aren’t additional all caps, italicized words.😉

Please don’t get me wrong - I think your work is superb and am well aware that it’s much easier to suggest changes than it is to create.
    I appreciate it. The last thing I want to do is ruffle any feathers and create a feeling that what I am doing for fun, is unfairly being pushed on to our hosts to accept. It's simply a fantasy and I've wanted a crack at designing a label for a while. It simply was a project that gave me an excuse to explore some possibilities. I am thrilled that it has been pretty popular, but there are other great designers out there and I think CAC has more than a few on staff. ;)
  • edited November 2022
    Would love to see your latest design, JA said there's time to incorporate changes to the design. I understand your concerns but I'm convinced that JA is open to suggestions.
  • @jtlee321 I agree that the CAC team seems to be open to ideas. So…There is an obvious issue with yellow. Either make it way too bright and cheap looking or tone it down and make it look gold, which will definitely confuse some. Imo, stick with a darker red…and thanks for helping to design what’s in our heads.
  • Even if JA cannot make the changes into the CAC 2.0 he can make the changes to the CAC 3.0 holder which would make the CAC 2.0 very desired as a collectible just like the black NGC 1.0 and the PCGS white rattler 1.0. This is potential history unfolding right before our eyes. LOL.
  • I still believe that "Retro-Grade" is the most clever and catchy moniker for describing coins previously beaned in PCGS/NGC slabs but now in new CAC 2.0 slabs. It combines the pertinent "retro" with the even more relevant "grade". And "retrograde" is its own word albeit with a slightly different meaning.

But if someone has a better idea, please post it.

• As has happened with PCGS and NGC slabs, CAC 2.0's holders will undergo multiple updates to accommodate the status quo. Thus, a whole new set of collectibles will be created.

"Old Clear Holders" will be CAC 2.0's version of PCGS's "Old Green Holders".
  • CACfan said:

I still believe that "Retro-Grade" is the most clever and catchy moniker for describing coins previously beaned in PCGS/NGC slabs but now in new CAC 2.0 slabs. It combines the pertinent "retro" with the even more relevant "grade". And "retrograde" is its own word albeit with a slightly different meaning.

Wish you hadn't asked, my OCD is kicking in again. :)

Introducing the new "Renaissance" slab. All previously stickered coins are now revived/reborn?

Okay, time for my meds now....
  • Coinstein said:

CACfan said:

I still believe that "Retro-Grade" is the most clever and catchy moniker for describing coins previously beaned in PCGS/NGC slabs but now in new CAC 2.0 slabs. It combines the pertinent "retro" with the even more relevant "grade". And "retrograde" is its own word albeit with a slightly different meaning.

Wish you hadn't asked, my OCD is kicking in again. :)

Introducing the new "Renaissance" slab. All previously stickered coins are now revived/reborn?

Okay, time for my meds now....
    But there is no numismatic pun like "Grade" in "Retro-Grade". Keep trying.