Suggestions for the New CAC Slab - Page 7 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Suggestions for the New CAC Slab

Comments

• MarkFeld said:

PonyUp said:

This is the color (still will say CAC)) for the problem coin bean, as I’m thinking. Also note it is a little larger. The bean itself should still be the reflective style of the current beans. I think the fact that the CAC team is reviewing our feedback and possibly? making changes to the label is a great sign that this holder will be the best out there.

Why should the letters be all caps?
    And why should the “1898” and “$1” be slanted?
    For persons with ophthalmological issues-Open Angle Glaucoma, Macular Degeneration, Reduced Depth Perception, etc. It would be very helpful.

As to the slanting, I guess it would be helpful if the viewer was tired and leaning left or right supporting a chin with the palm. Other than that, I got nothing.
  • edited November 2022
    @CACfan

True, and I like it, but prefer forward rather than backwards motion.

I'm sure Copernicus or Kepler will chime in soon.
  • I see. Right leaning snoozer.
  • MarkFeld said:

"Vintage"

Best so far...
  • Coinstein said:

@CACfan

True, and I like it, but prefer forward rather than backwards motion.

I'm sure Copernicus or Kepler will chime in soon.

But the reference on the new slab will reflect prior certification.
  • edited November 2022
    "Novus" or "Nouveau"
  • Coinstein said:

"Novus"

That could work. Novus can mean revived or refreshed.
  • edited November 2022
    The font on the released CAC slab prototype is not very legible - I suggest a wider font with less "bold" to increase readability. Also, the current proposed font kind of has a "third world slab" vibe to me.
  • In my opinion the use of "Retro-Grade" would be a poor choice. While it is written with a hyphen, it certainly would be spoken as a single word and the noun retrograde is already well-known and used in astronomy to mean the apparent backward motion of a planet or the motion of a planet in what appears to be the opposite of normal. Folks would have a great time pointing out how a coin that gets crossed from NGC and/or PCGS would have moved in a retrograde fashion because the coin moved from a more desirable holder to a less desirable holder. Essentially, it would be used as a source of derision to show that the coin moved in a backwards pattern.
  • edited November 2022
    TomB said:

In my opinion the use of "Retro-Grade" would be a poor choice. While it is written with a hyphen, it certainly would be spoken as a single word and the noun retrograde is already well-known and used in astronomy to mean the apparent backward motion of a planet or the motion of a planet in what appears to be the opposite of normal. Folks would have a great time pointing out how a coin that gets crossed from NGC and/or PCGS would have moved in a retrograde fashion because the coin moved from a more desirable holder to a less desirable holder. Essentially, it would be used as a source of derision to show that the coin moved in a backwards pattern.

I doubt that there are many astronomers who buy CAC coins. Words can have more than one meaning. "Retrograde" can simply mean "resulting in a previous state", as will be the case when CAC slabs use the same grades previously approved for the same coins in NGC and PCGS holders.
  • edited November 2022
    Deleted
  • CACfan said:

TomB said:

In my opinion the use of "Retro-Grade" would be a poor choice. While it is written with a hyphen, it certainly would be spoken as a single word and the noun retrograde is already well-known and used in astronomy to mean the apparent backward motion of a planet or the motion of a planet in what appears to be the opposite of normal. Folks would have a great time pointing out how a coin that gets crossed from NGC and/or PCGS would have moved in a retrograde fashion because the coin moved from a more desirable holder to a less desirable holder. Essentially, it would be used as a source of derision to show that the coin moved in a backwards pattern.

I doubt that there are many astronomers who buy CAC coins. Words can have more than one meaning. "Retrograde" can simply mean "resulting in a previous state", as will be the case when CAC slabs use the same grades previously approved for the same coins in NGC and PCGS holders.
    I'm not an astronomer and yet that definition is the first that came to mind when I saw the suggestion.
  • TomB said:

CACfan said:

TomB said:

I'm not an astronomer and yet that definition is the first that came to mind when I saw the suggestion.
    Tom, how do you feel about "Vintage"? If you don't like it, I wont debate you on it. ;)
  • TomB said:

CACfan said:

TomB said:

You are one coin collector out of the 150 million who collect coins, as per the U.S. Mint. Again, words can have multiple definitions, one of which for "retrograde" is "resulting in a previous state". I doubt that many CAC buyers will associate CAC slabs with astronomy.

• MarkFeld said:

TomB said:

CACfan said:

TomB said:

Tom, how do you feel about "Vintage"? If you don't like it, I wont debate you on it. ;)
    Mark, I guess I'm on the outside and looking in with respect to the idea of noting on a slab that a coin was crossed from another service and had previously earned a CAC sticker. I don't see the need for the information on the holder and certainly don't see the need to have a different title emblazoned on the certificate. Perhaps something after the cert number or coin number (if they are going to use a coin number) might be better such as "P65" or "N65" or similar. In this way it can be inconspicuous and the information travels with the coin if the cert number is recorded. Again, the special label issue for previously stickered coins just doesn't resonate with me.

And don't worry if you want to debate me, you already realize I don't typically have to get the last word in on a discussion. ;)
  • TomB said:

MarkFeld said:

TomB said:

CACfan said:

TomB said:

Mark, I guess I'm on the outside and looking in with respect to the idea of noting on a slab that a coin was crossed from another service and had previously earned a CAC sticker. I don't see the need for the information on the holder and certainly don't see the need to have a different title emblazoned on the certificate. Perhaps something after the cert number or coin number (if they are going to use a coin number) might be better such as "P65" or "N65" or similar. In this way it can be inconspicuous and the information travels with the coin if the cert number is recorded. Again, the special label issue for previously stickered coins just doesn't resonate with me.

And don't worry if you want to debate me, you already realize I don't typically have to get the last word in on a discussion. ;)
    Thanks, Tom. I feel the same about noting that a coin has crossed, but I get the impression that you and I represent a small minority. So I tried to come up with an option that I thought was preferable to some of the others that had been offered.
  • I believe many will want to know in one form or another whether it originated as a stickered coin or not. The POP report will have separate entries for each as well. The fact that JA asked the question, what other than Legacy would you use, indicates that is the path they may take like it or not. I think many would be fine with a simple designator after the cert number as proposed. The question remains, what would that be?
  • I like the idea of knowing that a coin was the result of a crossed over CAC stickered coin. But I don't think it needs to have anything that would indicate what holder it was crossed from. As far as I am concerned adding a designator for PCGS or NGC will create bifurcation or even trifurcation within the CAC holder market. In the eyes of CAC a PCGS CAC and NGC CAC coin of the same grade are identical. Only the market creates a difference. That difference should not carry through once that coin is out of the previous holder and into the new one. The newly CAC holdered coin should have some sort of anonymity in terms of it's previous holder. Does PCGS indicate what the previous holder was on a cross over? Does NGC? Why should CAC? I think something simple as I suggested in my mock-up like adding an L to the end of the serial number is all that is needed. It simply indicates that the coin was crossed over from a coin that CAC had previously approved, regardless of where it crossed from.