CAC sticker placement, right or left side... — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

CAC sticker placement, right or left side...

I am not sure this question has been asked, but, is there a reason for the placement of the CAC stickers, whether right or left side?  The bigger majority that I have seen are placed on the right.  But there are some stickers placed on the left.

Thank you for your intetest and comments.

(Images taken internet)

Comments

• I believe they sometimes do it when the sticker would cover up label information, usually in the case of a variety. This is a hunch though.
  • Thank you for your reply. 

Same variety coins on the OP.
  • edited November 2022
    It's pretty clear that the sticker is placed where it covers the least amount of the text. And it's on the right side if all else equal.
  • Not always the case.  Here is a quick phone snap of a couple of CAC approved coins that I do possess.  Lots of info is covered up, primarily on variety numbers.  The varieties themselves are identified by "coin numbers", but the spelled out descriptions should not be obscured by the stickers, imo.  The 1872-S H10C has the "MM" covered, which is not a big deal.  However, the 1864 2C LM "FS" numbers is totally covered by the sticker.

• Looks like whoever applied the sticker on the 1864 should have applied it on the left side so as to not cover the FS number. Maybe he thought the FS number is not that important. Either way, it's not like CAC has a rule about where they put the sticker. But like I've said, in general they try to put it on the right side unless putting it on the left side covers less of the text.
  • Thank you @EliteCollection for your  thoughts on the question.
  • Those two 1806 $5’s are amazing looking coins. I’m really liking the Draped Bust Half Eagles lately. 
  • I guess it is possible one of the employees is a Right handed sticker applier. It pays more. They are rare.
  • I had a conversation with JA about six months ago. He told me they normally peel off any stickers on the right side to place the CAC sticker where CAC wants it, EXCEPT in the case of Rick Snow’s Eagle Eye Photo Seal. He said that due to the tremendous respect he has for Rick Snow, if Rick’s sticker is there first, even on the right side, CAC will then place their own sticker on the left side!