What About those Numbers on the Label? - Page 2 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

What About those Numbers on the Label?

Comments

• + cert number
    - catalog
  • Here's an idea...make the serial number have more meaning than a random number. For instance, JA et al could start with #230100001. This number is very simply yymm (year-year-month-month) and the next 5 digits are the coins graded consecutively in that month. If it really is going to be about 500/d, the next 5 digits easily accommodate that. Heck, that would accommodate 3000+/d if they ever chose to be so ambitious. Some of us like the idea of knowing roughly when a coin was slabbed and the variation in slabs over the years has allowed a round-a-bout guess, but why not be more transparent…? All for the betterment of our hobby!
  • john said:
    The bar code usually has numbers, no? And, can be looked up on line, and older does not mean incapable of one finger typing. I know stuff. "Them"? I see.....
    Actually, the bar codes I see on slab labels do not have numbers. The cert serial number is printed separately. Again, shows you don’t need a bar code. And these days I’d be surprised if many collectors who would buy a CAC coin wouldn’t have access to a smartphone. 
  • Here's an idea...make the serial number have more meaning than a random number. For instance, JA et al could start with #230100001. This number is very simply yymm (year-year-month-month) and the next 5 digits are the coins graded consecutively in that month. If it really is going to be about 500/d, the next 5 digits easily accommodate that. Heck, that would accommodate 3000+/d if they ever chose to be so ambitious. Some of us like the idea of knowing roughly when a coin was slabbed and the variation in slabs over the years has allowed a round-a-bout guess, but why not be more transparent…? All for the betterment of our hobby!
    I like the idea of having a grading date somehow included somewhere. Maybe on the cert lookup. You can know an idea with the current slabs based on year they were used. But an exact grading date that you can lookup would be nice. 
  • TurtleCat said:

john said:

The bar code usually has numbers, no? And, can be looked up on line, and older does not mean incapable of one finger typing. I know stuff.

"Them"? I see.....

Actually, the bar codes I see on slab labels do not have numbers. The cert serial number is printed separately. Again, shows you don’t need a bar code. And these days I’d be surprised if many collectors who would buy a CAC coin wouldn’t have access to a smartphone. 

Then be surprised, actually. Access and owning one and being interested in using one are very different avenues. I am one of "them", and I assure you I am far from the only "them" (BTW, the "them" thing was just a humor attempt and it usually fails, so don't take it personal. I'm old.).

If you wonder, no, I am not interested in getting a smart phone, or ordering stuff and using a smart phone, or viewing an item on a smart phone to make a buy/no buy decision. Again, I am not alone in these thoughts.
  • john said:

TurtleCat said:

john said:

The bar code usually has numbers, no? And, can be looked up on line, and older does not mean incapable of one finger typing. I know stuff.

"Them"? I see.....

Then be surprised, actually. Access and owning one and being interested in using one are very different avenues. I am one of "them", and I assure you I am far from the only "them" (BTW, the "them" thing was just a humor attempt and it usually fails, so don't take it personal. I'm old.).

If you wonder, no, I am not interested in getting a smart phone, or ordering stuff and using a smart phone, or viewing an item on a smart phone to make a buy/no buy decision. Again, I am not alone in these thoughts.

I am also one of “them”. Probably the most evil device ever invented. Only second to a leaf blower….
  • I love you. I really really love you.
    Remember actually talking face to face? Remember seeing stuff for real? I miss those days.

My wife could sure rake some leaves. I miss that.
  • john said:

I love you. I really really love you.
    Remember actually talking face to face? Remember seeing stuff for real? I miss those days.

My wife could sure rake some leaves. I miss that.

Ha ha,…too funny. Not many of us left. i like raking, sorta like painting.

“Walking through the leaves, falling from the trees
    Feeling like a stranger nobody sees
    So many things that we never will undo
    I know you're sorry, I'm sorry too”
  • NO QR CODE !
  • I've never paid attention to anything but the cert number. I've always assumed the other stuff is for use by the TPG.
  • john said:

A lot of older generation collectors don't use cell phones. I am sure there are others that are younger that don't have cell phones, either.

🤦🏻‍♂️
  • FWIW, I think we should keep all those numbers on the bottom of the label. It's useful to have all this in one place: coin #, grade, and cert #. The barcode on the front is useful also for scanning in a coin using your phone.
  • @CAC_Ops What will all of the numbers/ markings on the new CACG slabs mean? Also what different types will you use?  I seen a 12 as the end #, on the sample slab in the other thread, does that stand for coin #12 in that submission? 
  • edited December 2022
    Also @CAC_Ops how important do you think the numbers on the labels are?   and why CACG is putting the numbers on them such as they will be? What was their decision behind this?
  • edited December 2022
    WilliamJ said:

@CAC_Ops What will all of the numbers/ markings on the new CACG slabs mean? Also what different types will you use?  I seen a 12 as the end #, on the sample slab in the other thread, does that stand for coin #12 in that submission? 

WilliamJ said:

Also @CAC_Ops how important do you think the numbers on the labels are?   and why CACG is putting the numbers on them such as they will be? What was their decision behind this?

Greetings, @WilliamJ! Regarding the "12" at the end, yes, that is an internal inventory tracking number. Or, as you stated, "...coin #12 in that [hypothetical] submission."

The goal is for our label to be "value-add" for our customers - or, simply put, we want to offer a final product that benefits you as the end-user. That being said, I started this discussion with the intent of collecting vital customer feedback.
  • edited December 2022
    Will you be using your own numbering system? Or are you going to incorporate the pcgs coin number system on your slabs to identify ie; morgans ect.?
  • TurtleCat said:

IMHO, better to just have ONE QR code on the Front of the slab
    Much better data on a QR code, and much cleaner looking than a bar code. RFID to me is a great security feature and would definitely add it

I was thinking similarly. Bar codes take a lot of space and QR is commonly enough supported now. NFC of some sort would also be ideal and skip codes entirely.
    While I agree that QR codes are superior to old school barcodes, I would fear that a QR code on the obverse of the slab would make the appearance too busy looking, so I understand why it was placed on the reverse. QR code is the most convenient as you just have to open up your camera and hover over the coin, as opposed to the barcode where you have to open the app first and even then sometimes my camera has trouble focusing, especially through glass. I believe that the addition of a RFID tag would make the process even more convenient.

I feel that we all agree that a cert number on the obverse is mandatory, and I concur that it would be nice if the cert number did have some relevance to the submission, NGCs approach seems to be favorable with most, something along those lines. As previously mentioned it would be illuminating to take it a step even further and include the year and month of grading within the cert number. I have no input about the coin catalogue number, I never use that.
  • WilliamJ said:

Will you be using your own numbering system? Or are you going to incorporate the pcgs coin number system on your slabs to identify ie; morgans ect.?

All will be revealed in the coming months.
  • CAC_Ops said:
    Thank you, I will be anxiously awaiting. The first quarter starts in January, so I assume CACG will be opening up for business after the new year?

I also agree with Dan's comments above. Ngc's  approach is less confusing and you can sorta tell when the coin was graded (approx) but more exact info would be nice.
  • WilliamJ said:

CAC_Ops said:

WilliamJ said:

Thank you, I will be anxiously awaiting. The first quarter starts in January, so I assume CACG will be opening up for business after the new year?

I also agree with Dan's comments above. Ngc's  approach is less confusing and you can sorta tell when the coin was graded (approx) but more exact info would be nice.

While we are anxious to get started, we will not be operational until the end of Q1 2023 if all goes well.