What stickered holders NOT to cross to CAC 1.0 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

What stickered holders NOT to cross to CAC 1.0

edited November 2022 in General
1) black NGC 1.0 holders
2) white label NGC 2.1 holders
3) White label NGC 2.0 holders
3) white label PCGS rattler 1.0 and 1.1 holders
4) Regency PCGS holders
5) Doily PCGS holders
6) Rare PCGS and NGC sample slabs
7) ALL gold stickered PCGS holders.
8) Even PCGS OGH holders if they do not cross to plus graded CAC 1.0 holders.
9) PCGS OGH holders of red copper coins to show its long term stability from toning.

That leaves lots of coins to submit to CAC grading.

I am sure that even JA would agree with most of my suggested list.

I highly suggest that raw coins get submitted to CAC Grading first to avoid the triple fees of PCGS/NGC then CAC stickering then crossing to CAC 1.0.

Comments

• Something to think about: What about NGC coins (CAC sticker or not) with a star designation?
  • #4 can definitely be crossed. Ugliest holder ever made.
  • jerseyben said:
    Something to think about: What about NGC coins (CAC sticker or not) with a star designation?
    Certain ones I wouldn’t cross. I feel like the prestige of the star has been watered down over the years. There’s a lot of ho hum coins with stars out there now.
  • I would add the NGC 3.0 to this list as well. That Gold Embossed logo on the back of those older NGC holders can command a premium.
  • I would add most PCGS/CAC green sticker coins. There is no reason to go to the the expense, time and trouble to lose the double certification. PURE NONSENSE. ONLY  exception is if a CACG plus grade can be achieved and it makes your coin substantially worth more as if there is a big gap in prices between grades. 
  • I second the “double certification” commentary as that is the most significant loss to CACG re-holder and I’m one of the biggest CAC fans out there. I do think some NGC stickered coins are ok to get
    re-holdered on a case by case coin analysis.
  • Did y’all forget about the legacy designation for CAC crossovers? It’ll still have that “double certification” so to speak.
  • Did y’all forget about the legacy designation for CAC crossovers? It’ll still have that “double certification” so to speak.

That’s one of the most attractive features. I’d love for it to show the Cert#, Company and previous Grade.
  • Vasanti said:

Did y’all forget about the legacy designation for CAC crossovers? It’ll still have that “double certification” so to speak.

That’s one of the most attractive features. I’d love for it to show the Cert#, Company and previous Grade.
    I disagree. I just think the legacy aspect is enough. Keep it simple.

Yes, it has been made quite clear that CAC grading will offer legacy designation for stickered crossovers. Not sure what that has to do with the topic at hand?
  • jerseyben said:

Did y’all forget about the legacy designation for CAC crossovers? It’ll still have that “double certification” so to speak.

Yes, it has been made quite clear that CAC grading will offer legacy designation for stickered crossovers. Not sure what that has to do with the topic at hand?
    You are ignoring the collectibility and added value of the old vintage plastic slabs.
  • Some inexpensive coins won't be worth the bother. Only have a few. If they're NGC and prices don't equalize, maybe.
  • jerseyben said:

Try reading the message I replied too. The specific TPG shouldn’t be mentioned on the slab, just the legacy designation would suffice. It also goes along with the double certification issue mentioned previously.
  • No PCGS-CAC slabs should be crossed because you you have the opinions of the two titans.
  • CACfan said:
    No PCGS-CAC slabs should be crossed because you you have the opinions of the two titans.
    100% agreed, but only exception is for a + making a financial upgrade 
  • Stevie said:

CACfan said:

No PCGS-CAC slabs should be crossed because you you have the opinions of the two titans.

I agree, as long as you don’t mind that coin no longer being eligible for the PCGS Registry.

Steve
  • I just read an article in The Numismatist about old holders. It claims these old holders are worth a ton of money. I mean like $2000 with a $5 coin in it, for a white label NGC…huh?
    Even generic P rattlers are worth $100+ just for the plastic? I actually had several (maybe 6?) consecutively numbered doily P coins that I sent in back then. Never thought about them ever being worth anything extra. I just remember thinking I didn’t like the label. 🤷‍♂️ 
  • For many collectibles the packaging can greatly affect the value if its not in tact. Star Wars toys or Hot Wheels are a great example. When it comes to coins, original packaging has seemed irrelevant except for some few exceptions. We now have vintage holders adding to the allure of the collectible itself and many in the hobby just can't grasp it. I personally think it’s great as it certainly adds to the collecting experience. We had an NGC 1.0 Black sell tonight at Great Collections for $12,500! The 1885-O MS-63 inside that holder is a $100 coin! Please think twice on what you crack out for the new CACG as this early holder craze may be here to stay.
  • Stevie said:

CACfan said:

A PCGS-CAC non-Plus would likely be more valuable than an NGC-CAC Plus. But a full grade upgrade would be worth trying. You can always get the CAC sticker back if the upgrade attempt fails, assuming that you have photos of the original certification.
  • PonyUp said:

I just read an article in The Numismatist about old holders. It claims these old holders are worth a ton of money. I mean like $2000 with a $5 coin in it, for a white label NGC…huh?
    Even generic P rattlers are worth $100+ just for the plastic? I actually had several (maybe 6?) consecutively numbered doily P coins that I sent in back then. Never thought about them ever being worth anything extra. I just remember thinking I didn’t like the label. 🤷‍♂️ 

Some dealers (including us) are even getting premiums for PCGS blue slabs as recent as 2015 (GEN 5.0S). The older the holder, the more conservative the grading.