CACG Unveils New Holders - Page 2 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

CACG Unveils New Holders

Comments

• Why are the prongs not clear? I would like to view the entire edge.
    I think they wanted some contrast so the coin stands out better and also because it doesn't resemble a PCGS slab as much.

The contrast isn’t bad at all, and I like it in concept, worry enters with how it could impact Silver Dollars and particularly PL and DMPL coins. 

I’d really like to see an example of a non toned  DMPL Morgan in this holder. L

Holder looks great though. I like the changes. Just that one question. 
  • CAC Ops says the white ring is clear at the three contact points. 

Thanks for that, I had to really zoom in to notice the change. 

Still want to see how a DMPL Silver Dollar looks with the ring. I’m optimistic about these holders. 
  • Why not ALSO put the CAC sticker on the back of the insert? And on the top of the holder if the coin info will also appear there.
  • john said:

Maybe it is just I am blessed with superior eyesight (my mom told me), because in the sample photo, I can definitely see the edge of the coin at the prongs, and I do not see white in the color spectrum. I can also detect the green-gray
    and yellow colors spectrum behind the prongs and behind the ring.

Definitely not white. Definitely clear.

Thank you. Blowing the image up to 10x shows clear prongs.

If you want someone to personally confirm I'll send you postage for a sample slab (or two). :)
  • CACfan said:

Why not ALSO put the CAC sticker on the back of the insert? And on the top of the holder if the coin info will also appear there.

What?…are you saying three stickers? C’mon man, you’re not being reasonable here.

It looks pretty damn good to me. Still want to know what the number 12 is at the end of the s/n, and if all slabs, legacy or not, will have the cac sticker?
  • What type of coins will you be 'grading"? Raw, crossover, previously cac'd coins?
  • They show the entire coin, I really like that. How about still getting that CAC acknowledgement for a nicer/top 10% coin with a Gold Label. Gives CAC coins their special place in the hobby.
  • jerseyben said:

Does this represent a new holdered coin (submitted raw)? Or a legacy stickered crossover?

I'm curious about this aspect also. I think the holder looks great!
  • They look fine

Sorry if you all addressed this already as there have been so many post on the subject on the different boards I may have missed this .... however,

1st ... I trust these will be scratch resistant holders ... it is a shame that I had spent more money to have PCGS and NGC slabs reholder because of the scratches that detract from the coin viewing. Once, PCGS sent a reslab coin back that had scratches already on it.

2nd ... will CAC be doing photo's, Either included or Paid? I hope so and I hope they will do edge photos on pieces that have edge lettering.

3rd .. I still like someone comment earlier that suggested that the key label info ( like date and denomination) be viewed on top of the holder ... this makes life for collectors/ dealer easier to be able to pull the piece out of a box and not have to manhandle all of the slabs in a box to fine a specific piece.

In any case good luck with the launch and look forward to seeing CAC in 2023
  • If every coin in these new slabs is going to have a green bean, what does that do to the previous PCGS and NGC coins with green beans? They will eventually lose their significance and value
  • Having a sticker on the front, back, and top of the slab will make the CAC certification instantly recognizable. It will not cost more; there is no reason not to add this convenient recognition feature.
  • Might we see a side view of the holder so that we can perhaps get an idea of how thick the holder will be and what kind of stacking feet might be present?
  • Looks nice. Maybe it is my OCD coming out, but I suggest keeping the traditional shape/size of the sticker intact. The sticker on that saint looks like it went on a diet.
  • CACfan said:

Why not ALSO put the CAC sticker on the back of the insert? And on the top of the holder if the coin info will also appear there.

CAC is already prominent on the back. What more do you want? As to the top, I don't know anything about that.

I think you are the type of person that is hard to please, and that is fine, until everything you want ends up looking like a Rube Goldberg creation.

It already has a nice Goldberg cartoon mascot, so I am with the Beatles on this one: letitbe.
  • john said:

CACfan said:

CAC is already prominent on the back. What more do you want? As to the top, I don't know anything about that.

I think you are the type of person that is hard to please, and that is fine, until everything you want ends up looking like a Rube Goldberg creation.

It already has a nice Goldberg cartoon mascot, so I am with the Beatles on this one: letitbe.
    Speaking words of wisdom….
  • Yes, indeed they did. Then there was the guy that wanted to shoot the messenger....and did. So there is that.
  • edited November 2022
    Placing the iconic CAC bean on the back and top of the holder (in addition to the front) will cause no harm to anyone or anything but will make the slab instantly recognizable to all involved -- and more attractive and prestigious in my view. What or who could it possibly hurt?

As is, the back looks like that of many a "third world" slab, as dealers have been known to call less popular slabs, including those produced by self-slabbers who get away with defrauding naive members of the public including Ebay buyers despite blatantly violating Ebay's own policies by advertising their fraudulently represented plastic thereon.

Curiously, the majority of my suggestions posted in prior threads are now (or will be) in use by CAC despite the initial criticism of them by other forum members. I suspect that CAC had already thought of my ideas but this phenomenon proves that I am more in touch with CAC's mission than all of the aforementioned critics.

In other words, think outside the box like CAC does in order to improve the status quo. Three stickers are better than one.

• I'm hopeful the new holder(s) are heavy duty and or scratch resistance unlike PCGS or NGC regular holders are. I would also add a CAC bean on the backside. Will CAC also have a coin number associated with the year, type, mint, similar to what PCGS has set up? Will any previously graded PCGS or NGC graded CAC coins be crossed over without issues? Speaking for myself and others I'm sure coins with edge designs, lettering, numbers and stars will have a much better chance at seeing all the edging with this new design. Something that the other grading services are not getting it right with.
  • I thought the new holder name would be CACG? With a CAC green bean and  legacy on the reverse for previously stickered coins.
  • edited November 2022
    Very nice! Thanks for listening to our ramblings and making the changes. The bean on the front looks great…I’m guessing the “12” after the cert number is the legacy year of the bean?