CACG Unveils New Holders - Page 3 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

CACG Unveils New Holders

Comments

• I really like this version better than the preview we had earlier. You can't make everyone happy right out of the gate. I can't wait to see what a real one looks like. Nobody liked the original black NGC holder and now look at how sought after they are. Things can only be looking up from here and I can't wait to see what the future brings.
  • CACfan said:
    Why are the prongs not clear? I would like to view the entire edge.
    I'm with clear prongs
  • edited November 2022
    And yes, scratch resistant is nice but what is also nice is a holder that will polish with something if it does get scratches. Pcgs will polish out with certain things in the event. And yes there are ways to avoid that but people don't take it. Ngc doesn't polish like pcgs does. So that would be nice is if these would restore the same way the pcgs holders do. 
  • edited November 2022
    jtlee321 said:

I really like this version better than the preview we had earlier. You can't make everyone happy right out of the gate. I can't wait to see what a real one looks like. Nobody liked the original black NGC holder and now look at how sought after they are. Things can only be looking up from here and I can't wait to see what the future brings.

The ONLY reason the Black NGC holders are sought after is due to the value, and that is due to the perception (likely often correct) that the coin inside may be undergraded. As you indicate, nobody liked these Black NGC holders visually.

Steve
  • VERTIGO said:

CACfan said:

Why are the prongs not clear? I would like to view the entire edge.

I'm with clear prongs

As noted in comments above, the prongs ARE clear. Just enlarge the photo.
  • edited November 2022

jtlee321 said:

I really like this version better than the preview we had earlier. You can't make everyone happy right out of the gate. I can't wait to see what a real one looks like. Nobody liked the original black NGC holder and now look at how sought after they are. Things can only be looking up from here and I can't wait to see what the future brings.

The ONLY reason the Black NGC holders are sought after is due to the value, and that is due to the perception (likely often correct) that the coin inside may be undergraded. As you indicate, nobody liked these Black NGC holders visually.

Steve
    They aren’t valuable due to the perception (whether correct or not) that the coin inside may be undergraded. They are valuable because they are RARE. The coin inside makes little difference. Just Sunday, a $100 coin (MS63 CAC 1885-O Morgan) in one of those holders sold for $14,000 on GC. I don’t think the buyer thought it was an MS68.
  • edited November 2022
    Ok, I didn’t know that. I guess I’m puzzled that enough people buy them PURELY for the rarity of the holder, that DEMAND is high even for those containing knowingly correctly graded coins.

Was that what happened with Pet Rocks?
  • Why not put another green CAC logo in the blank field next to the QR code on the reverse? It kind of looks like something is missing with nothing there, and it seems like the CAC logo would fill it in nicely. Well, that and I can't get enough of the green sticker look. :)
  • I've noticed that with both PCGS and NGC holders coins will occasionally get twisted out of alignment in their holders, so that they end up anywhere from slightly out of alignment to completely sideways sometimes, which is not a good look, especially on the obverse. I'm not talking about the mint-made cases where the dies were out of alignment and you can only line up one side, but cases where the coins have physically moved in the holder. I'm sure it's probably from rough handling/dropping that the prongs are not strong enough to handle. Is it just not realistic to get tolerances tight enough that this doesn't happen so often?
  • I guess I'll trust that those prongs are really clear, but it sure doesn't look like it, even when I enlarge the photo. Especially compared to how clear the rest of the holder looks. All-in-all though I think it looks like a really nice holder and a job well done.
  • I've noticed that with both PCGS and NGC holders coins will occasionally get twisted out of alignment in their holders, so that they end up anywhere from slightly out of alignment to completely sideways sometimes, which is not a good look, especially on the obverse. I'm not talking about the mint-made cases where the dies were out of alignment and you can only line up one side, but cases where the coins have physically moved in the holder. I'm sure it's probably from rough handling/dropping that the prongs are not strong enough to handle. Is it just not realistic to get tolerances tight enough that this doesn't happen so often?

When my PCGS holdered coins bought from a dealer or auction are rotated in the holder, gently tapping the corner on a hard surface repeatedly gets the coin to slowly move in the proper direction.
  • It has been hard to keep up with all the posts about CAC Grading. But I really like the look of the new holder - clean, crisp execution.
  • CAC_Ops said:
    Just to clarify, the core is a clear material (not white). The prongs are polished clear, while the ring has a frosted appearance. Again, nothing about the core is white.

Good !   Like cacfan I was not liking a white insert with white prongs as it looks like in the picture .
  • Winesteven said:

When my PCGS holdered coins bought from a dealer or auction are rotated in the holder, gently tapping the corner on a hard surface repeatedly gets the coin to slowly move in the proper direction.

--------

I'll have to try that. It seems strange that gentle tapping is enough to move the coin in its holder. I wonder why dealers and auction companies don't do that before they photograph and post them. Seems like it should be possible to make holders more robust than that, especially for higher value coins.
  • After the first two or three taps, take a look at which direction the coin is moving. If you need to change corners, that's the time to do it.
  • It works most of the time. I have a few stubborn coins that won't move.
  • jtlee321 said:

Steve
    They aren’t valuable due to the perception (whether correct or not) that the coin inside may be undergraded. They are valuable because they are RARE. The coin inside makes little difference. Just Sunday, a $100 coin (MS63 CAC 1885-O Morgan) in one of those holders sold for $14,000 on GC. I don’t think the buyer thought it was an MS68.
    That is exactly why they are so expensive. It's also the same reason the White Holder with White Label (2.0 and 2.1) are worth way more than the coin in the holder. I'm not trying to make a claim that if CAC changes their design early on in production that the future will value them similarly to the NGC 1.0, 2.0 and 2.1 holders, but I'm sure they would be collectible. Regardless of what the future entails, I'm excited about these holders and can't wait to own some. I have a lot of raw coins that have been needing to be sent in for grading, this may be a good opportunity send them in. I'd like to submit them as early as possible. :)
    I had one come back from grading crooked. I'm still not sure I'm not going to send it back with a letter telling them to fix it. It didn't move that much in shipping. I've tried everything and it won't move. It had to have been put in crooked and left that way. 
  • edited November 2022
    VERTIGO said:

I've noticed that with both PCGS and NGC holders coins will occasionally get twisted out of alignment in their holders, so that they end up anywhere from slightly out of alignment to completely sideways sometimes, which is not a good look, especially on the obverse. I'm not talking about the mint-made cases where the dies were out of alignment and you can only line up one side, but cases where the coins have physically moved in the holder. I'm sure it's probably from rough handling/dropping that the prongs are not strong enough to handle. Is it just not realistic to get tolerances tight enough that this doesn't happen so often?

I had one come back from grading crooked. I'm still not sure I'm not going to send it back with a letter telling them to fix it. It didn't move that much in shipping. I've tried everything and it won't move. It had to have been put in crooked and left that way. 

MY REPLY: The TPG will reholder it at no cost and even pay return shipping, at least in my experience.
  • It works most of the time. I have a few stubborn coins that won't move.
     I have put them in my panniers on my motorcycle and go riding .  The gentle vibrations rotate the coin nicely