CACG Unveils New Holders - Page 7 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

CACG Unveils New Holders

Comments

• WilliamJ said:
    JA said to begin with they should be able to grade 20,000 coins a month= 1,000 coins per day. That number amazes me!  Yet, after the soft start those numbers should increase.  For 3 or 4 graders that seems like a lot of work.
       I will not say anymore...
    This is a whole lot less than PCGS or NGC. They don’t have any specific numbers but most graders do 6-900 coins a day.

I suspect they will be more attentive to the coins and make sure there aren’t any problems (pvc, rim bumps, etc.). 

I don’t know how many graders they have, but if it’s more than 4 this seems like quite a low number. I think they will have to grade a lot more.
  • edited December 2022
    @BigNubNumismatics said:
    This is a whole lot less than PCGS or NGC. They don’t have any specific numbers but most graders do 6-900 coins a day. I suspect they will be more attentive to the coins and make sure there aren’t any problems (pvc, rim bumps, etc.). I don’t know how many graders they have, but if it’s more than 4 this seems like quite a low number. I think they will have to grade a lot more.

I (Winesteven) reply: CACG is NOT looking to grade anywhere near the number of coins graded by the two larger TPG's. They're shooting for quality, NOT quantity!

Separately, just for a chuckle, I see the range of coins mentioned above for graders at the two large TPG's (6-900 coins a day). If they pay someone to grade only 6 coins a day, I think they're overpaid, lol.
  • I can't help wondering if ...closer scrutiny... will just inject more uncertainty than the current ABC or nothing stickering.
    "Borderlines" can be tricky.
    And contentious.

I guess we'll see. :|
  • Fear can consume and grow, but only if you choose to feed it.
  • @BigNubNumismatics

+1 for everything @Winesteven said

Also take into consideration that a large chunk of the quota for PCGS or NGC are coins that CAC doesn’t grade. I’d be curious to know the actual figures for the percentage of market share that CAC is competing for. Higher value (>$500?) US Classics, do they make up for 20 or 25 percent? Less?

• WilliamJ said:
    JA said to begin with they should be able to grade 20,000 coins a month= 1,000 coins per day. That number amazes me!  Yet, after the soft start those numbers should increase.  For 3 or 4 graders that seems like a lot of work.
       I will not say anymore...
    This is a whole lot less than PCGS or NGC. They don’t have any specific numbers but most graders do 6-900 coins a day.

I suspect they will be more attentive to the coins and make sure there aren’t any problems (pvc, rim bumps, etc.). 

I don’t know how many graders they have, but if it’s more than 4 this seems like quite a low number. I think they will have to grade a lot more.
    I believe JA said at the meeting something along the line of... to start off all 4  graders will be grading the same coins that come in.
     Eventually they will split up into two teams and then will be able to grade more coins per day.  Eventually, possibly three teams ect...  They want all the graders to be consistent with each other.
      The video should be available soon for you to watch the meeting. I don't want to misinterpret anything, so I need to be careful with what I say.
  • Also some coins are easier and or quicker to grade. Silver dollars and Franklins don't take long. Coins already in a holder are tougher, you have the plastic slab to look through, compared to raw coins.
  • Two nice comments. Thanks.
  • WilliamJ said:

Also some coins are easier and or quicker to grade. Silver dollars and Franklins don't take long. Coins already in a holder are tougher, you have the plastic slab to look through, compared to raw coins.

Morgan Dollars & $20 Saint-Gaudens were the fastest coins for me to grade at PCGS.
    I disagree on the Franklin Half Dollars. Dealers tend to send in borderline Full Bell Line Coins in the hopes of getting the Full Bell Line designation. Those types of coins are not quick. Try grading a bulk deal of 1000 Franklin Half Dollars sometime. You will see what I mean by the time you get done with that deal.
  • @BigNubNumismatics

+1 for everything @Winesteven said

Also take into consideration that a large chunk of the quota for PCGS or NGC are coins that CAC doesn’t grade. I’d be curious to know the actual figures for the percentage of market share that CAC is competing for. Higher value (>$500?) US Classics, do they make up for 20 or 25 percent? Less?

WilliamJ said:

Also some coins are easier and or quicker to grade. Silver dollars and Franklins don't take long. Coins already in a holder are tougher, you have the plastic slab to look through, compared to raw coins.

Morgan Dollars & $20 Saint-Gaudens were the fastest coins for me to grade at PCGS.
    I disagree on the Franklin Half Dollars. Dealers tend to send in borderline Full Bell Line Coins in the hopes of getting the Full Bell Line designation. Those types of coins are not quick. Try grading a bulk deal of 1000 Franklin Half Dollars sometime. You will see what I mean by the time you get done with that deal.
    Hi John, Welcome to the forum, I'm glad to hear you will be apart of the CAC Grading team, it sounds like you bring a lot of experience to the table. If you can take a look at my own comment I just quoted above yours, would you be able to give a ballpark answer to that? As we know, CAC is going to be competing for a certain segment of the market, US classics of greater value. Of course "greater value" is a broad blanket term but I was thinking around $500 would be a fair threshold for coins that would benefit the most with CAC endorsement. Of all the coins that PCGS grades on a daily basis, what percentage would you say are US Classic coins valued above $500?
  • CAC_Team said:

Last month, we asked our community what they wanted in a holder, and we believe we have delivered. You will find below images of the new holders CAC Grading plans to use upon opening.  We would like to thank all our members who have supported us over the years and provided us with valuable feedback as we could not have done this alone. Let us know what you think!

Coin images courtesy of Justin Lee

Thank you,
    CAC Team

I thought they were doing away with the "white" around the coin and moving to a more "clear" prong?
  • On page 1 of this thread CAC_Ops said:

"Just to clarify, the core is a clear material (not white). The prongs are polished clear, while the ring has a frosted appearance. Again, nothing about the core is white.
  • Hi John, Welcome to the forum, I'm glad to hear you will be apart of the CAC Grading team, it sounds like you bring a lot of experience to the table. If you can take a look at my own comment I just quoted above yours, would you be able to give a ballpark answer to that? As we know, CAC is going to be competing for a certain segment of the market, US classics of greater value. Of course "greater value" is a broad blanket term but I was thinking around $500 would be a fair threshold for coins that would benefit the most with CAC endorsement. Of all the coins that PCGS grades on a daily basis, what percentage would you say are US Classic coins valued above $500?

For United States coins I would think it runs about 15-20% of the coins going through PCGS. That's factoring in modern bulk, vintage bulk, economy, regular tiers. It would be much lower if not for the large quantities bulk gold that has been going through the two top grading services the past 4-5 years.
    If you look at only Express & Walk-through/Show tiers than it would be 75-80% for those levels. I guess you would be surprised at what gets submitted via PCGS Show grading. There are many hundreds of sub $500 coins submitted to PCGS for their show grading each event. I wouldn't be surprised at some show events it was over 1000 coins worth less than $500.
    Its likely runs higher on the World Coins side of the grading since most coins under $200-300 tend to trade raw in World Coins from my observation.
    I do expect to see a lot of sub $500 coins at CAC.

• Will the CACG slab have NFC chip technology?

There is some concern being voiced in a thread running on the PCGS Forum that thrives, or anyone else with a reader, may be able to use the chip technology to determine exactly which NFC tagged coins (if any) are in a shipping package.

There is some concern being voiced in a thread running on the PCGS Forum that thrives, or anyone else with a reader, may be able to use the chip technology to determine exactly which NFC tagged coins (if any) are in a shipping package.

But I thought i read in that thread that it was difficult for that to happen, that one had to be super close, and depending on the size of the package, it sounded like without getting even closer to the coin(s), they may not get read??????

But I thought i read in that thread that it was difficult for that to happen, that one had to be super close, and depending on the size of the package, it sounded like without getting even closer to the coin(s), they may not get read??????
    I wonder if aluminum foil would prevent any type of scan. I also wonder if a super powerful magnet placed directly on the slab label would screw up the technology.
  • One fellow does state that aluminum foil is effective.

• Anyone know how long NGC green label has been around ?     Is it in response to CACG coming ?

• Anyone know how long NGC green label has been around ?     Is it in response to CACG coming ?

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/8701/ngc-green-label/

It was announced after Q1 2021, so not a response to cac grading. More or less, it’s just a custom insert that Rarcoa is using to label coins they perceive to be premium quality, and then placing strong bids for them in the secondary marketplace. 
  • edited January 2023
    Anyone know how long NGC green label has been around ?     Is it in response to CACG coming ?

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/8701/ngc-green-label/

It was announced after Q1 2021, so not a response to cac grading. More or less, it’s just a custom insert that Rarcoa is using to label coins they perceive to be premium quality, and then placing strong bids for them in the secondary marketplace. 

Thank you Deplorable .   I need time to digest this as it isn’t making much sense to me on the cover .  You think that was their answer to the Green Bean?   Have their in house experts grade the graded and then place them in a green bea…. I mean .. Green Label holder !? 

Odd how they chose Green instead of Gold or Platinum .. hmm 🤔 🤓

Ok I see it for what it is now clearly .   Thanks DD 

My evil side is wondering if that’s when CACG was born as a response … ?  😉🤓😂😂