CACG Crossover Question — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

CACG Crossover Question

Morning. OK here’s a question for you.
Let’s say I had a seated dime NGC XF40 that was sent to CAC but did not get the bean.

If this is sent to CACG for a crossover, is this coin at best a candidate for VF35? Or could it still get an XF40 ?

Comments

• From what I’ve read, if it is defect-free, as you’ve guessed, the best it could get would be VF35. But if CAC felt there were “problems”, it could get Detailed if you indicate that is acceptable on the crossover form. Otherwise it would be returned.
  • Thanks for the reply. Still trying to work out a lot of the scenarios. :)

So if that formerly NGC XF40 is now in a CACG slab at VF35, it has a green sticker. This would imply any coin can earn a green been at a reduced grade (assuming it can’t earn the sticker at its current TPG slabbed grade).

Would this be an accurate statement? I had kind of thought that not all coins (without defects) are worthy of the green CAC approval but this downgrade scenario appears to change that theory
  • I don't interpret the example as quite accurate. It could grade lower than 35. It could also not grade.

Each coin stands on the merits of the coin, and the result does not imply a logical conclusion that changes any perceived theory that may or may not apply to another coin.

I know stuff. My Mom said so....
  • edited November 2022
    While I don’t disagree with @john , JA did say on these threads that if a coin is defect-free, but did not CAC In it’s current grade, then MOST of those will cross as a plus at the next lower grade, but some will cross lower than that.

The problem is, if your coin failed, you don’t know if it failed because it is a “C” coin, or if because it is NOT defect-free.
  • Exactly. Logic. Say "hi" to our Mom when you see her.
  • Morning. OK here’s a question for you.
    Let’s say I had a seated dime NGC XF40 that was sent to CAC but did not get the bean.

If this is sent to CACG for a crossover, is this coin at best a candidate for VF35? Or could it still get an XF40 ?

Based on CAC's comments previously posted on this forum, CAC would not call it XF40 but they would straight-grade it at a lower grade if they consider it problem-free. Otherwise, they will call it "Details" regardless of the grade.
  • I don't think that is how it works, or the interpretation of what was posted.

I am probably wrong. I usually am.
    I can handle it, though.