Gold CAC Sticker: A Rare Collectible in Itself — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Gold CAC Sticker: A Rare Collectible in Itself

Given the gargantuan premiums being garnered from the gold beans, usually well over the values of the coins themselves, it has become blatantly obvious that the gold CAC sticker has become a highly sought-after collectible on its own. But some forum members inexplicably believe that only the coins matter, including dealers who should know better.

What is wrong with collecting this prestigious gold foil? It is just another collectible.

I wonder what this $200 gold CAC coin will realize at auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334648453797
Tagged:

Comments

• edited December 2022
    The aforementioned $200 coin has been bid up to $801 with nine days and seven hours to go! These bidders are gold CAC crazy. They are buying that tiny gold foil rather than the coin itself.

• Several MS63DMPL's have auctioned for $200, so even if this MS60DMPL gold CAC is under-graded by three grades, it is still overpriced by four times and counting.
  • So which is it? Per your posts, collecting gold foil is understandable as a collectible and people are crazy to pay these premiums as you’ve declared. 
  • Catbert said:

So which is it? Per your posts, collecting gold foil is understandable as a collectible and people are crazy to pay these premiums as you’ve declared. 

Crazy is a metaphor for addicted.
  • I wonder whether or not shill bidding is involved because the bid has been stuck at $801 for two days.
  • edited December 2022
    I own over 70 CAC gold stickered PCGS and NGC holdered coins most of them through my own collector account submissions shortly after CAC began operations many years ago. I only got excited about such result to protect my wife from skeptical dealers in case I bit the dust. I never expected such gold stickered slabs to become a collectible in itself.

The gold stickered PCGS coins I am most proud of are:
    (1) 1916-D dime in PCGS OGH G-04. I showed Laura Legend this coin before I submitted it to CAC and she called it a GEM good . LOL.
    (2) 1955 DDO cent in PCGS AU-58.

Interesting how attached I am to these two special slabs as I also own a 1955 DDO cent in PCGS OGH MS-65 blazing RD cent with a green sticker.
  • Good plan oreville.
  • I also bought the largest early hoard of gold stickered slabs back in 2011 when the collector at the Baltimore show dumped them on the market through Heritage Auctiions after getting laughed at by dealers making fun of his accumulating so many gold stickered slabs. At the time, I paid the correct value of the assigned grade plus one grade .Very few other collectors understood the inherent value of the gold stickered slabs at that time.
    Remember this was back in 2011.
  • At these price levels, I am not a buyer but am still holding my precious gold stickered slabs.
  • It's one thing for a gold stickered coin to be worth double-because that is what the coin should be as a green bean, but to go up 4-5X-thats insanity.
    Again, my biggest problem, is there is NO secondary buy/sell liquidity for these coins. Auctions are the only way in or out.

Be careful.

What ever happened to buy the coin, NOT the holder?
  • Legend said:

It's one thing for a gold stickered coin to be worth double-because that is what the coin should be as a green bean, but to go up 4-5X-thats insanity.
    Again, my biggest problem, is there is NO secondary buy/sell liquidity for these coins. Auctions are the only way in or out.

Be careful.

But again, the holders and CAC beans are themselves sought-after collectibles. They are part of numismatic history and just as liquid as rare coins in auctions, which is where the highest prices are garnered.
  • edited December 2022
    Legend said:

It's one thing for a gold stickered coin to be worth double-because that is what the coin should be as a green bean, but to go up 4-5X-thats insanity.

Be careful.

Good advice. The one exception might be finding a wonderful looking coin in person at a coin show in an old holder and getting a gold sticker through your own submission to CAC. This is an example of buying the coin AND the holder. Harder to find these days as most older holders have been picked over. But once in a blue moon you might get lucky.
  • The thrill of hunting for a good coin! I do enjoy.
        Almost all of my coins are bought with no sticker and then I send them to CAC.  If they sticker, I keep them. If  CAC says no, I sell them.  Always a  couple of exceptions.
  • WilliamJ said:

The thrill of hunting for a good coin! I do enjoy.
        Almost all of my coins are bought with no sticker and then I send them to CAC.  If they sticker, I keep them. If  CAC says no, I sell them.  Always a  couple of exceptions.

Exactly. But i used to protect myself with buying older PCGS holders so if no CAC then there is still value to sell because of the older holder. This is increasingly hard to find as most of them are picked over now.

• Believe what you all want. I hope anyone who buys them at a huge premium does not need cash the next day and can afford to lose money
  • I have over 50 OGH and I bought the coin not the holder. Fortunately I bought back in the days when that’s all there were and I’m glad I did. I’ve sent all to CAC and most stickered. Many are my prized coins and I know of three dealers that would pay up for them because of the the rule of three: 1. Choice coin           2. PCGS OGH & 3. CAC. For me it just doesn’t get any better than that! I always buy the coin first; however I do seek that combo if the coin isn’t overpriced. 
  • Legend said:

Be careful.

I see Gold CACs and early holders sell almost every day outside of auction online.
  • Legend said:

Be careful.

I see Gold CACs and early holders sell almost every day outside of auction online.
    Exactly. Gold CAC's are very liquid. Laura's position is laughable.

• Legend said:

Be careful.

Exactly. Gold CAC's are very liquid. Laura's position is laughable.

Glad someone agrees! I think many on this forum would be surprised at how many different avenues there are to buy and sell nowadays, and it’s fantastic for the hobby!
  • What's gonna be the hot item from the CACG ?