Legendary Collector Stewart Blay Passes Away at 71 - Page 2 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Legendary Collector Stewart Blay Passes Away at 71

Comments

• To both suggestions.
  • Coinstein said:
    We should probably move this discussion elsewhere as not to taint the original subject’s intent. I will say, that in today’s world one needs to become oblivious to unnecessary noise and avoid interaction/over reaction as needed, but it ain’t a piece of cake to do so!
     See how hard that is to do?   You even felt motivated to jump in and say something !!!  Lol  😂 

You’re right it ain’t no piece of cake .    But I personally feel , as do many many others that we must speak up and resist his insults and ruining our experience.   One highly respected gent just texted me suggesting we jointly pen a message to JA and Cc cac team etc .

Ignoring him isn’t an option .  Especially when he’s taken over the forum and every thread is usually his.   He takes one topic and breaks it into 3 threads .  🙄🙄🙄
  • Please, gentlemen, I ask that you move your discussion to a different thread. This one was supposed to be about Stewart Blay and the conversation has been doing a disservice to his memory.

Thank you from (as he used to call me) “coinguy”.
  • edited December 2022
    I concur Mark, and stated my agreement with the suggestions of Coinstein.

But, for clarity purposes only, while the Thread title mentions Mr. Blay, the OP stated his intent for the Thread, and it wasn't a Remembrance Memorial Thread intent. It established the talking/conversational point as the auctioning of the collection.

Somewhat crudely I admit, it is equal to "Hey, did you know so and so died and they are auctioning his stuff?" I don't classify the purpose of the Thread as a Memorial, at all. Maybe if he had not mentioned the auction issue, and maybe had stated any type of memorial to an accomplished collector I would not be so disappointed.

For me, I enjoyed his sculpture first, and had many fun and entertaining conversations about that aspect of his life and talent, sort of a Brooklyn/Bronx thing. I will miss that, most of all.

Truth in editing: added (") mark.

2nd truth in editing: had to add an "e" at the end of the 2nd "mayb". I am old....and slipping a bit.
  • edited December 2022
    Exactly John it’s starts out saying :   Great Collections will be anuctioning off ….

He mentions him being dead but in no way is this thread a memorial .   And we shouldn’t be PCed / guilted into not speaking our minds like we do in any other thread 

At no point was this even slightly a memorial thread . 
  • I think persons just concentrated on the Thread Title, and overlooked the sleight of hand...you know, PCGS, CAC blahblahblah. I did not read any RIP.

What I thought when I read his purpose for the thread, was the family members stating to me "...aw, your dad died. Hey about those medals and letters, what do you think about (followed by lets make some wampum suggestions).

maybe not intended, but the thread was disingenuous, and if not, then lacking tact.....stupendously.

Yes, I agree to the guilt trip thing, but then again the Mark I know via cyberspace is a genuine fellow and not a holier than thou man.
  • As Stewart Blay's sister, I would like to thank the members of this online coin collecting platform for the outpouring of love and respect they showed my late brother in their comments. Somewhere up in heaven, he is smiling.
  • NJJoyce said:

As Stewart Blay's sister, I would like to thank the members of this online coin collecting platform for the outpouring of love and respect they showed my late brother in their comments. Somewhere up in heaven, he is smiling.

That is a very kind gesture.
    God Keep You Well.
  • His PCGS MS69 CAC 1C just sold for $375,000.00 HAMMER!!!!
  • Legend said:
    His PCGS MS69 CAC 1C just sold for $375,000.00 HAMMER!!!!
    His other coins did very, very good also! He sure had some beauties!
  • edited January 2023
    NJJoyce said:

As Stewart Blay's sister, I would like to thank the members of this online coin collecting platform for the outpouring of love and respect they showed my late brother in their comments. Somewhere up in heaven, he is smiling.

We are incredibly sorry for your loss. We thank Stweart for the monumental contributions he made to the hobby, and hope that he is at peace. Best wishes to you and your family. No doubt his passing is only the the beginning of an impressive legacy. Such fine coins and vast knowledge never get forgotten by those of us that care deeply for this community. May his coins be pedigreed, memorialized, and loved by new collectors for generations.
  • Thanks for the post @NJJoyce We all wish you the best.

I got the 16-s. It's not quite as exceptional as the photo as the mark above the date is more obvious in hand, but the strike and lack of spots along with nice luster is just unbelievable for a 16-s. Anyone else here win any?

• I'll be going for at least one, maybe three to five lots next Sunday night. I saw all lots in hand at FUN at the GC booth.

Steve
  • I'll be going for at least one, maybe three to five lots next Sunday night. I saw all lots in hand at FUN at the GC booth. Steve
    Steve just wondering do you remember the 1941 in MS 67 RD OGH? If so what were your thoughts on that coin?

• My apologies, as I should have used clearer language. I had ACCESS to see each lot in hand, but I looked at all lots in hand that I might bid on.
  • So did you win? The only registry set that has seemingly been updated from Stewart's coins is Larry Shapiros. I was able to win just one of the later dates (I don't even want to say as I'm embarrassed by how much it cost). I didn't see that 41-p Stevie. It was not even on my list.

What were people's favorites?
    My favorite was the 25-s. Out of my league though. It went for almost $100k. That may end up a 66rd someday.
    My second favorite was the 24-d (well, not counting 14-d which is also out of my league). I had a glimmer of hope 24-d would stay around what I could afford but nope.
    My third favorite was the 16-s and was literally the toughest S-mint I didn't already have. I really liked the 09 vdb and 15-s too but couldn't risk spending any money before the 16-s came up. I was not super impressed with the high grade P mints but that might be my bias towards the mint marked coins.

My favorites among the later dates were 35-s, 37-s, 38, 46-d, 47-d, 47-s, and 56-p.
  • I was ready to pay crazy high prices on six of the lower valued coins. I place my max bids at the very end. On three of the six lots, I didn’t get to place my max bid since the pricing exceeded my amount with plenty of time left this evening. On the three lots where I did place crazy high bids at the very end, one I was still blown away, and I was the underbidder on two. Oh well!

Steve
  • edited January 2023
      Someone thinking about getting into collecting and starting with pennies because it seems it’s an economical starting point is in for a rude awakening!!!!  😱😵‍💫🥴

Yesterday I was looking at the Blay collection and couldn’t believe what I was seeing .   Many coins every bit as costly a gold and  silver !!!