Legendary Collector Stewart Blay Passes Away at 71 - Page 3 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Legendary Collector Stewart Blay Passes Away at 71

13»

Comments

• Thanks for the post @NJJoyce We all wish you the best.

I got the 16-s. It's not quite as exceptional as the photo as the mark above the date is more obvious in hand, but the strike and lack of spots along with nice luster is just unbelievable for a 16-s. Anyone else here win any?

That is a great coin, congratulations on your purchase! I was lucky enough to win one of the coins from last night's auction, assuming paying four times the value is lucky! :D I was the underbidder on a few others and was blown away on a few as well. The bidding was fierce and really irrational in many ways, but that often happens with coins from a collection where the provenance is as important as the coins themselves. I mentioned this on the PCGS forum, I really think that many of the coins were bought to be resubmitted via cracking or reconsideration, will be interesting to see if the MS68 pops see a jump in numbers over the next few months or year.
  • edited January 2023
    Thanks Coinbuf. Congrats on your purchase! I think people bought a bit too much into the hype and bid like they were all upgrade candidates but in reality I think only a few were. The problem I had was the nicest ones (among the late dates only) were dates I already had really nice coins of. I still bought one of them anyway.
  • A few notes

1) I see in auction histories that a pcgs 65rd 69-s DDO sold for $16,500 in 1996. There is no 65rd in the pop report now. I assume that must have been Stewart's coin. Anyone know for sure? Or if that was when he bought it? If so holy cow. What a purchase!

2) Should GC be adding 12.5% buyer's fee to the published prices realized on the rarities when it's unlikely a credit card was used to pay for them, ie it was actually only 10%? And GC would know for sure which it is. (Er, I mean darn, I forgot to call my credit card company and ask for a 50x increase in my credit limit ;) ).

3) I noticed the Bender late date wheats that sold for huge prices with Heritage in December were not listed on coinfacts or the pcgs auction listings until after the Blay sale. And now they're there together with a bunch of updates to the price guide. That seemed a bit sketchy. Also, should the price guide(s) be changed based on some sales of obviously premium quality coins?
  • GC policy is to always reflect the full 12.5% buyers premium as the price sold, regardless of the method used for payment by the buyer.

Steve
  • Mr. Blay had some amazing coins!  
  • The 37-s is now in an ms68 holder pop 1/0. From a bit under $4k to at least $20k or even who knows. What I don't understand is why aren't there 2 dealers bidding these up to at least $15k? It seems like a very small world of people getting all these upgrades. This time I actually wasn't the underbidder. I picked the 46-d over the 37-s. I already have super nice coins of both dates but thought there was more chance I'd like the 46-d over the one I already have vs the 37-s.
  • The 37-s is now in an ms68 holder pop 1/0. From a bit under $4k to at least $20k or even who knows. What I don't understand is why aren't there 2 dealers bidding these up to at least $15k? It seems like a very small world of people getting all these upgrades. This time I actually wasn't the underbidder. I picked the 46-d over the 37-s. I already have super nice coins of both dates but thought there was more chance I'd like the 46-d over the one I already have vs the 37-s.

Who could be sure that it would have upgraded to 68? And will it CAC again? Also, there were no other comps as high as 4k, that was already more than 3x the highest comp for a 67. The guide value is just that, a guide. If the coin were to auction again right now I doubt it would go close to 20k
  • I was pretty sure but didn't have the money to buy more than I did (and I already have a spectacular 37-s). I don't think it'll CAC but that doesn't matter. You'll see, it'll be back for sale and go for over $20k. Apparently people don't even look at the archives. A 15-d went from 65rd to 67rd and $2kish to $50k in 6 months. The first 35-p in 68+rd for like $35k sold a year or two prior for $1000 as a 67+rd. The Bender 31-d and 31-s just went from $5k 66rd to to $16k 66+rds in 6 months. They are all over the place. I could list 100s more.
  • I was pretty sure but didn't have the money to buy more than I did (and I already have a spectacular 37-s). I don't think it'll CAC but that doesn't matter. You'll see, it'll be back for sale and go for over $20k. Apparently people don't even look at the archives. A 15-d went from 65rd to 67rd and $2kish to $50k in 6 months. The first 35-p in 68+rd for like $35k sold a year or two prior for $1000 as a 67+rd. The Bender 31-d and 31-s just went from $5k 66rd to to $16k 66+rds in 6 months. They are all over the place. I could list 100s more.

Indeed and agreed. We need an agree and like button!
  • edited February 2023
    I was pretty sure but didn't have the money to buy more than I did (and I already have a spectacular 37-s). I don't think it'll CAC but that doesn't matter. You'll see, it'll be back for sale and go for over $20k. Apparently people don't even look at the archives. A 15-d went from 65rd to 67rd and $2kish to $50k in 6 months. The first 35-p in 68+rd for like $35k sold a year or two prior for $1000 as a 67+rd. The Bender 31-d and 31-s just went from $5k 66rd to to $16k 66+rds in 6 months. They are all over the place. I could list 100s more.
    I’m not a Lincoln collector, and personally I’m disconnected from the idea of paying 30k for a coin that just sold for 2k. To me, the assigned grade is of little relevance at that point and I wouldn’t pay multiples just because a coin just got upgraded when there’s no other comps. The next time you feel good about an upgrade, let me know! I’ll cut you in lol!
  • edited February 2023
    If you don't mind the advice of a stranger, then sure, why not. I only 2 times bought a coin knowing it had just upgraded. One actually is the 79 WR SBA pictured as my icon. The first grade on it was utterly absurd and I don't blame the owner one bit for trying it again. The other was a 70-p dime. Back then having all dimes 1934-date in pcgs ms67 or better was a meaningful goal and 70-p was the key (pop 3) and I knew the other 2 were lousy so I still went for it.