Have you seen the ANS's Silver 1861 Fort Sumter medal before, there are only 2 examples known. — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Have you seen the ANS's Silver 1861 Fort Sumter medal before, there are only 2 examples known.

Comments

• No, I've never seen, and I have never had a chance to acquire the Fort Sumter in bronze, which is my metal of choice for medals.

I know that the silver medals are rarer and more valuable, but I'll take the bronze medal over them for eye appeal when they have the 19th century "mahogany finish." The modern "sand blasted," "yellow bronze" finish is another matter.

Here's and example, the General Grant medal.

• I haven't seen it but perhaps Jesse Kraft of ANS has seen it. The good thing about the ANS is that if you're a member and doing research, they can pull it out for you. I haven't had a chance to do that, but writing a paper for the ANS Journal that requires in hand examination of some ANS holdings would be a great experience.

Here's mine:

1861 Major Robert Anderson Fort Sumter Medal

composition: Bronze, 67 mm, 162.2 gm

issued by: August Benjamin Sage

grade: raw

• The ANS silver is nice but the Zabriskie ( 1999 auction ) silver is far more attractive with its prooflike irridescently toned surfaces, which I owned. Presumably a gold specimen was struck for Major Anderson - I wonder where it is ?

• And with respect to the huge Grant Vicksburg Congressional medal, I own John Ford’s silver ( Ex Ralph Goldstone of Boston) and have held Genl Grant’s gold medal in my fingertips at the Smithsonian - last seen exhibited in the massive display “ case” also exhibiting Grant’s stuffed favorite horse ! Genl Grant’s entire estate was gifted to the Smithsonian by his family.

• BillJones said:

No, I've never seen, and I have never had a chance to acquire the Fort Sumter in bronze, which is my metal of choice for medals.

I know that the silver medals are rarer and more valuable, but I'll take the bronze medal over them for eye appeal when they have the 19th century "mahogany finish."

Bill,
    why do you think that you have never been able to find a bronze example?