Have I missed the boat? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Have I missed the boat?

For a collector who is not even on the waiting list for the waiting list, what are the options for a collector wanting CAC approval? I collect MS65 Walker and Morgan Dollars and MS63-65 Peace dollars and silver commemoratives. I have been extremely picky regarding strike, eye appeal, and bag marks and I'd like to test my grading skills. At $35, the premium for CAC approval on a $350 coin not including shipping costs is 10%. I am reluctant to sell awesome coins to replace them with CAC coins. How are other collectors approaching this subject?

Comments

• edited December 2022
    Not sending in relatively low value coins.

BTW - if you must submit, submit via CAC approved dealer submitters who can submit on your behalf.
  • This page might be of some help:

https://www.caccoin.com/dealers/

Let me know how it goes!
  • Catbert said:

Not sending in relatively low value coins.

BTW - if you must submit, submit via CAC approved dealer submitters who can submit on your behalf.

The OP's first 1/2 of the first sentence, is a question that remains without a commentary, concerning member direct submittal, though presented multiple times by multiple persons commenting on this forum. The "...not even on the waiting list for the waiting list..." description is apt. It has been 14 months that it has not been possible.

I do not think the answer suggested, submitting via CAC approved dealer, is what is sought. Independence is what is sought, by me, and I suspect many others with the same request of "membership". The question and enquiry is not new. The status of the question last I recall was left with the Boss a few weeks ago, after it was passed on to that level from lower level 'ask me anything management'.

I don't think it helpful (though admittedly somewhat humorous at the British level of humor)) to suggest not sending in low value coins. If $350 is considered a low amount of wampum, can I borrow your silver spoon?
  • CAC_Team said:

This page might be of some help:

https://www.caccoin.com/dealers/

Let me know how it goes!

I do not think it is helpful, to those that are and have been seeking CAC "membership" for the exact purpose of direct submittal privileges for 14 months minimum and not being able to penetrate the waiting list. It would be helpful, though, to consider the requests and comments concerning this subject by non-CAC membership hopefuls.

Being patient of course is a virtue and I certainly understand the thoughts and contemplation that must be expended to arrive at a Solomon decision. The danger of patience, is that at some point the wait for a reply becomes interpreted as being ignored. That is when the patience morphs into annoyance.
  • I feel your frustration here John, but I guess you would need to put yourself in their shoes. They are currently not able to adequately service their current customers and add on top of that the energy needed to open up the new grading service. What would you do under these circumstances?
  • Coinstein said:
    I feel your frustration here John, but I guess you would need to put yourself in their shoes. They are currently not able to adequately service their current customers and add on top of that the energy needed to open up the new grading service. What would you do under these circumstances?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe @john may be suggesting that some type of statement, or some insight as to when the waiting list may be reopened, would go a long way to alleviate concern for those who have been patiently waiting.
  • Thank you for the support and understanding. No frustration, at all. I definitely considered the shoe size, as witnessed by my previous comments on the issue, and support the CAC contemplation that would be needed to arrive at a business decision.

As to what I would do, I do not know the business plan, but I would think the membership issue is not the first concern I have and have had in my mediocre experience. My first concern would be whether or not I am planning a phaseout of the current model, and doing so in a parallel track of establishing the new business model. If both business models are intended to continue as active, my concern would be having the proper trained personnel to serve the current model, and doing so without consideration of alienating possible future customers of the new business model....be it parallel or not to the current business model.

The most important factor to avoid human annoyance is continuing conversation. Silence is never a winning strategy. If the CEO asks for clarification of the question, receives the clarification, what would be the reasonable response time, in lieu of silence? That is where the magic occurs.

I do know that suggesting submitting via a dealer and not submitting low value coins is not adequate.

I will wait, because sooner or later there will be an answer, by either straightforward reply or business model action that speaks for itself.

Consider the many collectors that do not or won't use a service that is designed to protect the hobbyist, when it is exclusionary and costly. The collectors/hobbyists will seek more reasonable economic choices that are not exclusionary, and don't have a 1 year + waiting list, a list that many tried to be included on, and many that could not even get that far, only to be informed of a new business model that will "delay" until....

Interesting Wharton Decision Tree.
  • One can not even imagine how busy the team is now and for the next couple months. I would guess that memberships will be re-opened AFTER the rollout, and then a few months after that, once CACG gets a handle on demand and logistics.

The wait has to be frustrating but constantly lamenting that the door is currently shut kind of reminds me of those poor folks trying to dangle from the aeroplane landing gear when the USA military abandoned Afghanistan...

• Coinstein said:

I feel your frustration here John, but I guess you would need to put yourself in their shoes. They are currently not able to adequately service their current customers and add on top of that the energy needed to open up the new grading service. What would you do under these circumstances?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe @john may be suggesting that some type of statement, or some insight as to when the waiting list may be reopened, would go a long way to alleviate concern for those who have been patiently waiting.

Mr. DeplorableDan: EXACTLY!!
  • One can not even imagine how busy the team is now and for the next couple months. I would guess that memberships will be re-opened AFTER the rollout, and then a few months after that, once CACG gets a handle on demand and logistics.

The wait has to be frustrating but constantly lamenting that the door is currently shut kind of reminds me of those poor folks trying to dangle from the aeroplane landing gear when the USA military abandoned Afghanistan...

Not frustrating, at all.
    I think you comparison is WAY off the mark, so much so as to be dismissive of your assumption of "constantly lamenting". Somewhat condescending, though, whether intended or not.
  • HaHa you right John. "Constantly lamenting" is an overstatement and I apologize.

I like you John. I like your humor. I hope you, and everyone else that are waiting, get in soon.

But Coinstein's post above says it all, " They are currently not able to adequately service their current customers and add on top of that the energy needed to open up the new grading service."
  • You win, with the caveat: the esteemed member, whom I like because he asked me what I would do in the CAC shoes, and I responded.

I think you may have not considered my professorial Wharton Response, which you should do, if you are going to be fair in Grading (see what I did there?) my position, and take into account that at 74 years old, soon to be 75, that I am not certain I can outlast the CAC CEO response calendar.
  • @john i don’t have any extra silver spoons available,sorry. :D

Believe it or not, while I was direct, I was trying to be helpful with alternative solutions since we forum members have no control over enrollment in the membership list.

Indirectly, the “need” conveyed to submit coins at this value level should be challenged IMHO. I believe, as CAC was originally conceived, they did not anticipate nor were desiring to review such coins since it wouldn’t be a value add service. I may be misinformed. Certainly the market has spoken about the value. That said, many dealers who support the CAC concept, do not send their < $500 coins in due to the valuation.

Secondly, even if this is ignored, there is an alternative using CAC dealers.

That you filtered my comment through your frustration lens is not my burden to carry.
  • Again, for the 3rd. time (well, really 4), no frustration. I don't think you are reviewing my comments carefully.

BTW, what's with this word 'frustration' today? Is it the Word of The Day day, and I missed it?

Anyway, the Dealer aspect of submittal is fine, but many hobbyists/collectors are not enamored of that procedure. It is a bit exclusionary, especially when there are other alternatives.

What does it matter if a piece is less than $500? That is not the point, and is a sort of haughty position...the silver spoon position, if you will.

All that is blahblah, and not the issue being raised, by me, anyway.

Get off my lawn.
  • Anyway, I am looking forward to the LSCC Zoom meeting tomorrow night.

The CAC CEO is graciously scheduled to participate.

I can't wait to chime in with: "HERE'S jOHNNY!!!"

I am anticipating the 'Oh no, not again..' reaction.

• @john I believe you got on my lawn so take a hike.
  • Oh well, that was not very friendly, but...these days, the chips seem to get heavier and fall off quicker.

And here I was thinking things were going so well.
  • edited December 2022
    Catbert said:

@john i don’t have any extra silver spoons available,sorry. :D

Believe it or not, while I was direct, I was trying to be helpful with alternative solutions since we forum members have no control over enrollment in the membership list.

Indirectly, the “need” conveyed to submit coins at this value level should be challenged IMHO. I believe, as CAC was originally conceived, they did not anticipate nor were desiring to review such coins since it wouldn’t be a value add service. I may be misinformed. Certainly the market has spoken about the value. That said, many dealers who support the CAC concept, do not send their < $500 coins in due to the valuation.

Secondly, even if this is ignored, there is an alternative using CAC dealers.

That you filtered my comment through your frustration lens is not my burden to carry.

Whether it's a person's want or a "need" to submit coins to CAC, he/she should be free to submit whichever ones he/she wants. I'd bet that many collectors and dealers have submitted coins, which others wouldn't see a "need" for.

I'm surprised by your apparent attitude, as you sound condescending and lacking in empathy, both of which surprise me.
  • edited December 2022
    Oh well, sorry to disapoint you Mark. You try to be on high dose steroids for 4 months straight and you'll learn you have a quick trigger to BS. The "get off my lawn" was the trigger.
  • You guys are welcome on my lawn anytime, it’s mostly weeds anyway.