Greatest Coins of all Time — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Greatest Coins of all Time

When it comes to the greatest coin of all time, I have to say the Unique Brasher Doubloon is definitely the ONE! It set the standard for how all gold coins would be produced based on weights and measures... No other coin can claim that and it's been called the Holy Grail by John Albanese.

Comments

• Very cool coin, both aesthetically and just what it historically. I am also curious to see if there is a consensus of what the most sought-after coins are
  • Historically there is nothing that compares to the Unique Brasher. I would be interested in seeing a consensus as well. Most sought-after may not reflect the rarest... Many discussions can be made here. Interesting to say the least!
  • Guess you never saw J-1776......The coin that is easily the worlds most valuable
  • Based on Garrett books #1 is 1804 $1.

See my Website: https://sc-coins.com/

My #1 is: 1794 SP66 $1.
  • I never saw J-1776 in person, very few have and yes it is mind blowing for sure, incredible coin!
  • 1822 $5. A coin minted for circulation that actually circulated. And there is only one available to the public. Checks a lot of boxes. 
  • My vote might go to J-1776.
    If there were a picture of it....... :p
  • edited December 2022
    I guess it depends on how one defines “Greatest”! As @CAC_Team wondered above, the most sought after coin could be considered the greatest too. My vote for a sought after U.S. coin that many collectors have an opportunity to actually own is the 1909-S VDB Lincoln Cent.

After collecting since I was a child, I finally bit the bullet a few months ago and bought one - PCGS 65+RD (with a CAC sticker of course, lol). Here are two photos from the dealer. At FUN, I’ll be having @messydesk (John) take better photos.

• Very nice coin! Congrats on your purchase!
  • Legend said:

Guess you never saw J-1776......The coin that is easily the worlds most valuable

I think J-1776 is awe-inspiring. But the original post didn’t ask which coin was the most valuable.
  • What makes a coin “great”?

Quality? Beauty? Rarity? Popularity? Design? Historical significance?

Can the “greatest” coins be lacking any of those attributes?
  • MarkFeld said:

What makes a coin “great”?

In my opinion, what makes a coin great is it place in history and the population. When you think of the greatest, I pick the Unique Brasher because the experts say it started it all, set the standard for how all federal gold coins would be produced based on weights and measures, no other coin can claim that. John Albanese has stated it is the "Holy Grail" of numismatics, the most iconic coin of all time. It is the only coin to have a place in pop culture, Raymond Chandler wrote about it in his novel in 1942, another first. While I think many of the coins mentioned are outstanding, incredible pieces and super rare, none have what the unique Brasher has and that for me makes it the greatest. One must think, none of the other amazing coins may exist if the Brasher didn't set the standard. Right? I love these discussions. Keep it coming, it's fantastic.
  • edited December 2022
    PCAGinc said:

MarkFeld said:

What makes a coin “great”?

In my opinion, what makes a coin great is it place in history and the population. When you think of the greatest, I pick the Unique Brasher because the experts say it started it all, set the standard for how all federal gold coins would be produced based on weights and measures, no other coin can claim that. John Albanese has stated it is the "Holy Grail" of numismatics, the most iconic coin of all time. It is the only coin to have a place in pop culture, Raymond Chandler wrote about it in his novel in 1942, another first. While I think many of the coins mentioned are outstanding, incredible pieces and super rare, none have what the unique Brasher has and that for me makes it the greatest. One must think, none of the other amazing coins may exist if the Brasher didn't set the standard. Right? I love these discussions. Keep it coming, it's fantastic.
    Sorry but I don’t buy the argument that none of the other coins would exist, were it not for the Brasher.

And despite my great respect for Mr. Albanese, I don’t think the coin is any greater, just because he said - I believe this is the actual quote - “It's not a stretch to call this the holy grail of all collectible gold coins.” By the way, that’s not the same thing as what you attributed to him - “John Albanese has stated it is the "Holy Grail" of numismatics”

Other coins, such as the 1933 Saints and 1804 dollars have been the subjects of books and the 1913 Liberty nickel has been the subject of an episode of Hawaii Five-0. So big deal about the 1942:novel you mentioned.😉

Why is the “unique Brasher” greater than the others?

Lastly, I would guess that a large percentage of the population has no idea what a Brasher is. So I’m not sure that it’s as historical as you seem to think it is .After all, isn’t awareness of the coin part of the equation?

• 1849 Double Eagle? How about the 1870-s quarter? It can't be owned or even seen but it likely exists.
  • edited December 2022

1849 Double Eagle? How about the 1870-s quarter? It can't be owned or even seen but it likely exists.

I vote a firm “no” to a coin that can’t be seen or owned and which “likely exists”. There are a number of extremely rare and even unique coins, that can be seen and owned, which are actually known to exist. 😉
  • The greatest coin of all time is not limited to U.S. Coins. I think the OP, by presenting the question on the CAC Board, sent a subliminal message that it is limited to U.S. Coins.

I have a different interpretation of the question as to which coin is the ONE.

Logic dictates that it is the Lydian Lion, the foundation of all coins.
  • john said:

The greatest coin of all time is not limited to U.S. Coins. I think the OP, by presenting the question on the CAC Board, sent a subliminal message that it is limited to U.S. Coins.

What I love about this post I did is the many different opinions and thought that goes into the answers. It's so great to see so many people involved and having a discussion. Obviously everyone will have an opinion as I do but it's great to see so many engaged. Let's keep it going.
  • john said:

The greatest coin of all time is not limited to U.S. Coins. I think the OP, by presenting the question on the CAC Board, sent a subliminal message that it is limited to U.S. Coins.

And yes, I should have specified U.S. coins. But either way, the discussion is great!
  •   In my eyes Floridafacelifter and Elite have examples of some of the greatest coins ever ….  ( others here also , actually too many collectors to list )

I’ve seen some of their coins .  High grade Proof Double Eagles , to rare and amazingly beautiful saints and so on.   

Historically speaking I find many of if not all of these coins have amazing stories behind them .    Elite’s ‘33 Saint is a great story .   Type one Double Eagles from the SS Central America . Every coin I buy has history attached to it .  

Ancient coins even though often of varying shapes and size were all actually weighed very accurately.   That standard was set way way back long ago .