Does anyone have any theories as to why commemorative coins have a higher gold sticker ratio — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Does anyone have any theories as to why commemorative coins have a higher gold sticker ratio

Seems like commemorative coinage has a very high gold sticker percentage compared to other series. Any thoughts on the reason

Comments

• One reason might be that many of them have very narrow differences in value between grades, so there’s not not much incentive to resubmit them. As a result, a good number of conservatively graded examples have remained in their original holders.

• Gold sticker also indicates a third party misstep. An incident of grade deflation if you will. Certainly a good thing for the submitter.

• Tons of uncrculated commems out there ....better chance of getting stickers

• Over the years, I have noted that when a series is out of favor that the TPGs tend to get more conservative with the grading. Conversely, when a series is hot, I've seen them get more lax with the grading.

The "old commemorative" coin market has been weak for years. Perhaps the tighter grading standards have left more openings for the gold CAC sticker.

• Completely agreed with MarkFeld, but I'll add that the price structure of the commem market also limits the amount of coin doctoring in the series.