What is your favorite coin design? - Page 2 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

What is your favorite coin design?

Comments

• This PR-67 1942 Walker is tough to photograph well, but it is a really nice original coin. In my opinion, all of the outside artists, who designed made for circulation coins for the mint, didn't know how to devise designs that held up well under mass produced conditions. Adolph Weinman was the exception. If you ignore excessive details, like split bans, his coins were generally well made, except at the mints like San Francisco, which always seemed to have problems in the 1940s. 
  • edited December 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • While not my collecting focus I find a quality Walking Liberty Half to be one of my favorite designs.

• Definitely the Capped Bust Half Dollar!

Dave
  • Hi. The classics are nice like the St. Gaudens, Walking Liberty, etc. But after collecting coins for decades on and off, I’m growing a bit weary of regular issue coins. I’ve recently got into US patterns. There are some really stunning designs too numerous to
    list here. Many of them never made it to regular issue. Some of the coins have very different designs like the ring copper and gold for example. Gold dollar J-147 is an example. Also, lots of Amazonian designs. I just bought the Judd book, “United States Pattern Coins (Official Red Book)”. Great pics. I’m new to patterns but very interesting. Not cheap either. 
  • There sure are some stunning coins pictured here, congrats to all
  • There are many designs I love, but my vote goes to the high relief:

• It's funny how earlier in my collecting journey I disdained the seated liberty series yet now I really appreciate the halves. I think it is an elegant design for that denomination. In particular, while it could be viewed as a bit cluttered, the A&R limited type coin is my favorite of the half series.

• Catbert said:
    It's funny how earlier in my collecting journey I disdained the seated liberty series yet now I really appreciate the halves. I think it is an elegant design for that denomination. In particular, while it could be viewed as a bit cluttered, the A&R limited type coin is my favorite of the half series.
    That is a gorgeous example.
  • Beautiful seated half dollar. Always wanted a nice 1853-O quarter.
  • The octagonal Pan-Pac and incuse BLP quarter-and half-eagles are way cool, in my opinion, but I think my favorite of the bunch is the CT commem-

• Never saw a HR w/colors like that. WOW!!!!!!
  • Legend said:

Never saw a HR w/colors like that. WOW!!!!!!

i should have looked before now, but i see that it does not have a sticker
  • edited June 2022
    The 07/08 design is my favorite!

• I've got a lot of favorite US coin designs, so it's hard to decide but these three really stand out for me. The Trade Dollar, The Barber Half, and the Amazonian patterns.

• We need a like button here! Great coins Eldorado. That Trade has super dark mirrors.
  • Bill Jones ,

I find the walker one of the nicest designed coins .   I love the reverse mostly.

I am also a huge fan of Saint Gaudens .  Though I wish the reverse had a different Eagle design.   Something along the lines of the Eagles found on the Walkers and Stone Mountain coins .  

I may think about getting a 1907 Saint HR either a WE or FE .   I’ve passed on them in the past thinking they were pretty numerous and pricey for being plentiful as they are .

But obviously there is a market for them as people are scarfing them up !  
  • I really like the Draped Bust half dollar. I’ve been chasing this one for a while- arrives on Friday.
  • Bill Jones ,

I find the walker one of the nicest designed coins .   I love the reverse mostly.

I am also a huge fan of Saint Gaudens .  Though I wish the reverse had a different Eagle design.   Something along the lines of the Eagles found on the Walkers and Stone Mountain coins .  

I may think about getting a 1907 Saint HR either a WE or FE .   I’ve passed on them in the past thinking they were pretty numerous and pricey for being plentiful as they are .

But obviously there is a market for them as people are scarfing them up !  
    I just realized that the eagles on the reverses of Walkers and Stone Mt. are very similar.

• Just kidding.