Let’s See Your Early CAC Silver - Page 7 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Let’s See Your Early CAC Silver

Comments

• Gorgeous coins all, keep ‘em coming! 

Halfnuts said:
    PCGS 64, 100% original; CAC would not bean it
    Beautiful example 
  • 1799 F12 CAC

• Great bust dollar @EDL - I have its sister though she lived a little harder than yours. 

Love the surfaces on your 11/10 @LJenkins11 - great coin and thanks for sharing.  
  • edited March 2023
    Amazing coins posted in this thread…true eye candy, for sure!

Here are a few I don’t think I’ve posted to this thread yet.

1813 AU50 CAC

1827 AU55 CAC

1834 AU58 CAC

• Wish we had a like button!

AU55 CAC

• EDL said:

1799 F12 CAC

PURR-dee!
    Worn but purrrrr-dee
    <3
  • My favorite coin this is the coin that got me into collecting it was left to me by my grandfather
  •    which is currently up on heritage right now Under woo acacc breaks my heart but I have a family to support. I have a pretty large lot that I may be selling so I may be able to pull this down.
  • 1828 Overton 121a Sq Base 2, Sm 8's, Lg Lt XF40 CAC

• 1832 Small Letters, AU53, Green CAC

• Halfnuts said:

PCGS 64, 100% original; CAC would not bean it.

what reason did they give?
  •    which is currently up on heritage right now Under woo acacc breaks my heart but I have a family to support. I have a pretty large lot that I may be selling so I may be able to pull this down.

1895 P in all her glory... wow. Very nice..
  • Stunning example!

• 50/20c. PCGS 64. Purchased over twenty years ago for a first year of issue type set. Received a green bean when sent to CAC this month.

PS That is Jefferson's print. :)

• Love the problem free surfaces with hints of luster around devices. XF45

• O-114 AU53 CAC 
  • Wow, this thread is really what numismatic dreams are made of. I went through every page. When I got towards the end I found myself wishing the thread were longer.

Is there an accepted standard for what constitutes "early silver"? Not knowing if there is, these are the thoughts rummaging around in my head.

The thread has coins through the Seated design but nothing newer (excepting @ACACCScott 's mind blowing 1895). If Seated coinage would be the last to qualify should not the Morgan $ also be included as the Seated minor's continue well into the Morgan $ run? That's a Pandora's Box as if you include the Morgan for that rationale, wouldn't you then include the post-Seated minor's as they are concurrent with the Morgan...so on and so on..........

EAC defines "early" in regards to their coppers as stopping at 1857. I assume they picked that year as it was the end of the half cent and the large cent and the beginning of the newfangled small cent. It doesn't seem fitting that the same metric would be applied to silver.

Could "early silver" be defined by when the various silver denominations were first reduced? It wouldn't be as clean of a cut as the EAC "early copper" definition as there are several transition dates for the silver denominations (H10¢ 1805/1829, 10¢ 1828/1828, 25¢ 1828/1831, 50¢ 1836/1836, $1 1804/1840). However, a definition like that doesn't feel right as several bust coins and all seated coinage would be excluded.

Or perhaps there isn't/shouldn't be a formal definition and it should just be a subjective term. Best left to the individual collector to decide for themselves what they consider to be "early"?

If this last option is indeed the numismatic reality I'd love to hear from you all about what your personal definition of "early silver" is. I think reading each person's different reasoning would be fascinating.