At this point do you assume no-bean coins are CAC rejects? - Page 5 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

At this point do you assume no-bean coins are CAC rejects?

Comments

• Does CAC guarantee the PL or DMPL etc on old ngc no line fatties when they sticker a coin with such a designation on the holder or only the grade on the holder?
    Thanks
  • Realone said:

Does CAC guarantee the PL or DMPL etc on old ngc no line fatties when they sticker a coin with such a designation on the holder or only the grade on the holder?
    Thanks

Designations such as PL, DMPL, FH, FB, etc. are taken into account (along with the numerical grade) by CAC. I've asked them more than once, as quite a few people aren't clear on that.
  • Just to clarify though, while @MarkFeld is correct that for CAC to apply their sticker, that means CAC agrees with the suffix after the numerical grade, CAC is NOT "Guaranteeing" anything (as per @Realone 's question), but just offering their opinion (which to me has a lot of value).
  • Just to clarify though, while @MarkFeld is correct that for CAC to apply their sticker, that means CAC agrees with the suffix after the numerical grade, CAC is NOT "Guaranteeing" anything (as per @Realone 's question), but just offering their opinion (which to me has a lot of value).

Thank you for the clarification, Steve.
  • MarkFeld said:

Realone said:

Does CAC guarantee the PL or DMPL etc on old ngc no line fatties when they sticker a coin with such a designation on the holder or only the grade on the holder?
    Thanks

Designations such as PL, DMPL, FH, FB, etc. are taken into account (along with the numerical grade) by CAC. I've asked them more than once, as quite a few people aren't clear on that.
    A "+" or Star grade is not considered, but PL, DMPL/DPL, FH, FB, RD, RB, BN, etc. are considered.
  • vamsplus said:

A "+" or Star grade is not considered, but PL, DMPL/DPL, FH, FB, RD, RB, BN, etc. are considered.
    Yes, you are absolutely correct.
  • ptolemyII said:

nalmeter said:

Here's an interesting one that did not CAC. I was told that there was not enough luster. Personally, I thought when tilted you could see the hidden luster there but it is difficult with the toning. Looking at the detail, I felt it was a very strong AU55 and the eye appeal is extraordinary if you enjoy toning. Still love the coin just wished it would have beaned!

While your dime looks pretty damn solid from here, TV's can often obscure marks. And I'd never hazard a guess based on consistently distorted underlying lustre.
    Its major fault may be that it's "too original". I still like it ;) But I'd bet it's two shades too red where actual deeper brown appears. A very consistent TV distortion.

At Baltimore, my first show in four years, I went out for a meal with a retailer, a high-level EAC collector and two other world-class graders who are not yet partially blind. Without much prodding, and with but short discussion, the use of TrueViews was disparaged as misleading and confusing to their customers. Much too often, the tints and brightness are distorted from the "typical" in-hand experience. As I said, it was a short discussion; Mostly about it being a pain-in-the-ass. Over-promises what often can't be delivered. Self-produced was always preferred as more consistent with the in-hand experience.

An example that came up on the PCGS Forum recently. A 1935 S$1 PCGS MS67. Only the TrueView was presented. The collectors tended strongly in the camp of amazing frost/lustre but too "dusky" - perhaps needed a dip. Below it is the Heritage-produced image of the coin in its slab. To me, on a $50,000 coin, I want it right, not pimped. Especially (he cynically adds, with accompanying rim-shot) that poorly >:) Just an anecdote, but a very notable misrepresentation of fact.

@ptolemyII

I appreciate the insight into the TV world. I would have to say you are spot on with regards to how it appears more "red" than in hand. There is definitely more brown than red. I've also noticed some similarities on gold coins as well. The in-hand look and the TV picture do not always share the same "hues". Anyway, great thread and I thank everyone for the educational comments.

Best regards,
    Nick
  • Bidask said:

A coin may not be cac’d the first around but maybe the second or third time around,…is that not possible?

if that is true you might get a nice coin at a bargain price that maybe later would be cac’d…..

@Bidask
    I just sent a batch of coins into CAC and received results today....one of which was a 2nd time resubmit....IT GOT A GREEN BEAN!!!!
    Never say Never!

• Would it really be a financial hit though. That's assuming that the coin could be sold for RD money without the CAC sticker. Wouldn't it be better to have it designated RB with CAC than RD without CAC.? Just wondering out loud.
  • JohnTCoin said:

Would it really be a financial hit though. That's assuming that the coin could be sold for RD money without the CAC sticker. Wouldn't it be better to have it designated RB with CAC than RD without CAC.? Just wondering out loud.

Yes, it would be a financial hit.
    Next time, please quote the post you're replying to. I just happened to see this and knew what you were talking about, even though you posted it after many other posts had been added to the thread.
  • MarkFeld said:

Next time, please quote the post you're replying to. I just happened to see this and knew what you were talking about, even though you posted it after many other posts had been added to the thread.
    +1
  • MarkFeld said:

JohnTCoin said:

Would it really be a financial hit though. That's assuming that the coin could be sold for RD money without the CAC sticker. Wouldn't it be better to have it designated RB with CAC than RD without CAC.? Just wondering out loud.

Got it.
  • JohnTCoin said:

I dont know for sure, but I'm about to find out. I just got my CAC membership package today and I have 5 coins to send. They are all under $5k coins. I have studied these coins in depth and compared them to others exactly the same that have CAC, and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't. One of the coins was so great looking that I sent it to PCGS for reconsideration and it got upgraded a full point. I am excited to find out though. I don't think that all coins under 5 figures have been submitted. Sure, CAC has been around a while, but still, not quite everyone has gotten on board yet. Although, I do see more and more coming around every day. I'll let everyone know how it goes when my submission gets back. Wish me luck on my very first CAC submission. The coins are as follows.

1888 Gold $1 PCGS MS65
    1907 Gold $2.5 PCGS MS65
    1909 Gold $2.5 PCGS MS63
    1912 Gold $2.5 PCGS MS64 (this is the one that upgraded)
    1937 Antietam Silver Comemm. PCGS MS65 (this one is the one I dream will get a gold bean. LOL. Seriously though, it's pristine for a MS65)

The results are in. 4 out of 5 of these coins received a CAC sticker. Only the 1888 Gold $1 MS65 did not CAC. Further evidence of my theory that not all coins under $5k have been to CAC. All of these coins were purchased at GC over the past 6 months. As I mentioned before the 1912 Gold Quarter Eagle got upgraded by PCGS from MS63 to MS64 and then received a CAC sticker to boot. I couldn't be happier.
  • JohnTCoin said:

JohnTCoin said:

I dont know for sure, but I'm about to find out. I just got my CAC membership package today and I have 5 coins to send. They are all under $5k coins. I have studied these coins in depth and compared them to others exactly the same that have CAC, and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't. One of the coins was so great looking that I sent it to PCGS for reconsideration and it got upgraded a full point. I am excited to find out though. I don't think that all coins under 5 figures have been submitted. Sure, CAC has been around a while, but still, not quite everyone has gotten on board yet. Although, I do see more and more coming around every day. I'll let everyone know how it goes when my submission gets back. Wish me luck on my very first CAC submission. The coins are as follows.

1888 Gold $1 PCGS MS65
    1907 Gold $2.5 PCGS MS65
    1909 Gold $2.5 PCGS MS63
    1937 Antietam Silver Comemm. PCGS MS65 (this one is the one I dream will get a gold bean. LOL. Seriously though, it's pristine for a MS65)

The results are in. 4 out of 5 of these coins received a CAC sticker. Only the 1888 Gold $1 MS65 did not CAC. Further evidence of my theory that not all coins under $5k have been to CAC. All of these coins were purchased at GC over the past 6 months. As I mentioned before the 1912 Gold Quarter Eagle got upgraded by PCGS from MS63 to MS64 and then received a CAC sticker to boot. I couldn't be happier.
    Congratulations on those results. Regarding your theory about not all coins under $5000 having been to CAC - not all coins over $5000 have been there, either.😉
  • Those results were very good!
  • MarkFeld said:

JohnTCoin said:

JohnTCoin said:

1888 Gold $1 PCGS MS65
    1907 Gold $2.5 PCGS MS65
    1909 Gold $2.5 PCGS MS63

Congratulations on those results. Regarding your theory about not all coins under $5000 having been to CAC - not all coins over $5000 have been there, either.😉
    Maybe not all coins over $5k have been there, but I don't have the means to test that theory. :( Thanks @WilliamJ I am thrilled about it. They are on their way back to me from CAC now. I'll upload a pic when they arrive
  • edited April 2022
    Congratulations on your fantastic results!

Not only down the road will these coins be easier to sell and receive “fair value”, whether by you or your heirs, but since only a small percentage of graded gold coins merit CAC stickers, you got a real nice bump in value!

It really makes one wonder why the consignors refused to spend pennies on the dollar, leaving so much money on the table! Go figure!

Steve
  • I will be looking forward to seeing the pictures.
  • Congratulations on your fantastic results!

Not only down the road will these coins be easier to sell and receive “fair value”, whether by you or your heirs, but since only a small percentage of graded gold coins merit CAC stickers, you got a real nice bump in value!

It really makes one wonder why the consignors refused to spend pennies on the dollar, leaving so much money on the table! Go figure!t

Steve

I believe, at least in part, the reason may be that not everyone has accepted CAC into the market yet. It's a relatively new concept in collecting and people are always resistant to change. Perhaps they don't believe it will actually make their coin bring a premium when they sell and don't want to invest the extra time and expense. I see examples of this on some YouTube channels that I watch in which people who have been in the hobby a long time just think it's a gimmick of sorts. However, I also see more and more people coming around to appreciate CAC. Maybe it's like the initial resistance to TPG's themselves in the mid 80's.
  • You may be right, but I’m flabbergasted! It’s now been 15 years!

Steve