The CAC RED DOT — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

The CAC RED DOT

edited December 2022 in Fluff
I went to visit CAC yesterday. Saw JA and also saw Laura Sperber who stopped by as well. . Nice chat with both.

It warmed up quite a bit in NJ so I forgot to tale my winter coat back with me. JA offered to ship it back to me but I rejected the kind offer stating that I will return anyway in late January 2023 to pick up my January 3rd submissions as well as my coat .

The fear is that JA will red dot my coat as not qualifying for a green sticker similar to George Constanza of TV Seinfeld Show buying a white cashmere sweater with a red dot!

Comments

• As long as you don't plan to give your coat to your girlfriend as a gift you should be ok. :)
  • I don’t think his wife will let him do that, lol.
  • Sounds like a nice visit! Good luck on your January 3rd submissions. Let us know how you did.
  • For anyone not familiar with that Seinfeld episode my comment was referencing what took place in the show. :)
  • Indeed getting a red dot from CAC is a nightmare!

Reminds me of “No Soup for you” from the Soup Nazi!
  • See now I’m eating my heart out!   Jealous and envious AF!   I would love to visit CAC offices , meet JA and even Laura in person .

Thats very cool Oreville !!!   

Now leaving your jacket was like a lady leaving her scarf in your car.   Ensures another visit by furnishing an excuse !  Lol 

Hey I’m going to Cac !   “ Hi JA im here to pick up Oreville’s jacket for him “  😉🤓😂😎
  • I know that this thread was originally posted in jest and I didn't want to add anything serious until it ran it's course.

So, now is a good time to ask the question; Are "all" Red Dots a kiss of death?

I have a coin with a Red Dot that I want to send to CACG. It was rejected for "No Liberty", which to me, would mean it could cross at a lower grade.

It is a really nice original coin and I would most likely accept "one" grade down, but if the Red Dot means Fuhgettaboutit, then why send it in.
  • Since it's a nice original coin I think it has a good chance of grading a point lower. What's it graded?
  • Coinstein said:

I know that this thread was originally posted in jest and I didn't want to add anything serious until it ran it's course.

So, now is a good time to ask the question; Are "all" Red Dots a kiss of death?

I have a coin with a Red Dot that I want to send to CACG. It was rejected for "No Liberty", which to me, would mean it could cross at a lower grade.

It is a really nice original coin and I would most likely accept "one" grade down, but if the Red Dot means Fuhgettaboutit, then why send it in.

"No Liberty" could mean anything. Best just to ask JA what he meant by that? You might have to email him the photo of the coin and the red dot so he might better recall his thoughts?

Perhaps we can all learn something if you post it here as well?

• JA told me that Liberty was too weak for F12. No other issues were mentioned and I can't find any. I'd be okay with VG10 minimum, otherwise will not cross. I have used this piece as a show and tell while at multiple shows and most everyone shook their head. Much nicer in hand BTW....

• Cashmere?
  • Coinstein said:

Reverse>

This is a fabulous looking circulated coin. A wonderful cameo looking kind of wear. The obverse looks to be weakly struck hence the “no Liberty.” The reverse side of this coin appears to be nicer.

I would be surprised to find any other issues with an in-person inspection but it is always possible.
  • Thank you orville. Yes, the obverse toning is not as even or consistent as the reverse yet there are no hairlines or any indication of cleaning and/or re-toning.

Here is what the Osburn/Cushing book has to say >

"1870-CC examples are usually well struck on the reverse, sometimes with very slight weakness on the claws. The obverse strike is normally soft. The central obverse almost always exhibits slight weakness. LIBERTY is often weaker for a given grade than would be expected for coins from other mints. Stars exhibit centrals that are slightly weak to totally flat, depending on the die marriage. High-grade examples are almost always prooflike, or at least slightly so. Coinage runs were short, and the dies were apparently polished prior to each run."
  • Thanks for the images, nice example.
    I think it will grade VG-10 at CACG.
  • You’re welcome, and thanks for the input. I believe the same, but always worth asking the question and learning something.
  • Coinstein said:

Thank you orville. Yes, the obverse toning is not as even or consistent as the reverse yet there are no hairlines or any indication of cleaning and/or re-toning.

Here is what the Osburn/Cushing book has to say >

"1870-CC examples are usually well struck on the reverse, sometimes with very slight weakness on the claws. The obverse strike is normally soft. The central obverse almost always exhibits slight weakness. LIBERTY is often weaker for a given grade than would be expected for coins from other mints. Stars exhibit centrals that are slightly weak to totally flat, depending on the die marriage. High-grade examples are almost always prooflike, or at least slightly so. Coinage runs were short, and the dies were apparently polished prior to each run."

One error on your part.

Its Oreville not Orville.LOL.